• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PS first-party included on PS Now with live services, or buying separate with no live services?

• Yes, I don't mind online content/live services

Votes: 61 25.8%
  • No, keep new PS exclusives off of PS Now if it means online/live services

Votes: 175 74.2%

• Total voters

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I started thinking about why Sony doesn't really want to bring its first-party exclusives to PS Now as they're released, and it just clicked.

Nearly all of Microsoft's games are live service-oriented that're predicated on engagement and microtransactions, especially now they're included on Game Pass. That's the trade-off: If a game is included on Game Pass, it needs to have live elements to offset the potential game sale loss.

So...if Sony does include future first-party PS games on PS Now, we could see a similar transition. Sony relies heavily on full game sales/hardware sales, whereas Microsoft relies heavily on services and games designed to compliment those services.

Would you rather Sony just kept its big first-party games off of PS Now and preserve huge sprawling singleplayer experiences, or include them on PS Now at the cost of infusing monetization and live services into said games?

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I would love them to have more live service stuff. Hopefully Sony will get off its ass when it comes to MP.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather PS Now completely die out than watch Sony shove live service trash into their single player games. They're the only place to go nowadays to get pure single-player experiences. Losing that would basically mean there's no reason for ANY console to exist moving forward.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I'd rather personally own the content I want to play rather than being restricted to a subscription based model.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
The budgets would scale back if they put first party games like Last of Us 2 day and date.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Why would this happen? Halo 6 is more expensive than tlou2 and will be on gamepass day and date
Sony is able to spend so much money on single player AAA games because they push hardware and make money on sales. If they were on a subscription service like PS Now, they'd have to either start including MTX and some sort of live service implementation.

OP
OP
Deeke

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Sony is able to spend so much money on single player AAA games because they push hardware and make money on sales. If they were on a subscription service like PS Now, they'd have to either start including MTX and some sort of live service implementation.

This is 100% my thought process. They'd want to plan for a potential sales hit by including persistent revenue streams via mTX and whatnot.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
That's a nightmare scenario. I hope Sony keeps doing what they've been doing this gen.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Yaaay more pay to win packs for UC4 and TLOU.

Leave my single player games alone.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather PS Now completely die out than watch Sony shove live service trash into their single player games. They're the only place to go nowadays to get pure single-player experiences. Losing that would basically mean there's no reason for ANY console to exist moving forward.
Totally agree. I'd rather pay a premium and get a great experience as opposed to paying a low entry fee and getting bombarded with micro transactions.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
my feeling is this:
i am fine with letting games reach a wider audience and lower the price of entry,
as long as you dont ruin my games and have to alter the games to keep them profitable, screw that.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need a public budget to look at the number of developers on both scope and the length of both projects.

Tlou2 would do absolutely fine in psnow
ND is a +500 developers studio, 343 isn't that much larger. Not to mention we don't really know how much is outsourced which makes these numbers practically useless (+1000 devs worked on UN4 for example). tlou2 should be a +100 million project when it comes to development and marketing. How much do you think Halo 6 cost?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't need TLOU, Spiderman, GOW etc. to become services, I want to finish my games and move on.

But if we are talking about TLOU online, Gran Turismo, MLB... I don't care.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Eh. Nintendo is never going to be a worthy primary console. They're the backup console you play when there's nothing else to play.

If Sony just becomes "Xbox, too" by transitioning into the same kind of parasitic "you don't own anything" GaaS model, then both Playstation and Xbox might as well just disappear as brands, because without differentiation across the two platforms they both become quite truly redundant.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
I'd rather Sony keep their first party off PSNOW live service or not, because that would be tons of lost sales.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I really prefer to pay full price to keep the billion dollar company I prefer stays afloat. Im sure they will make a plaque with my name on it somewhere to honor my loyalty!
I also prefer if my game was done within a week with no chance of extra content so i can get back to my real hobby of making shit threads about a console i dont like.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I completely disagree with the entire premise of the thread, Gamepass does not equal online service games. I prefer to own games but a sub or online is automatically bad.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I really prefer to pay full price to keep the billion dollar company I prefer stays afloat. Im sure they will make a plaque with my name on it somewhere to honor my loyalty!
I also prefer if my game was done within a week with no chance of extra content so i can get back to my real hobby of making shit threads about a console i dont like.
lolollololol.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Why would anyone who enjoys single player games want them to become service oriented and microtransaction riddled?

I'd rather continue having ownership with a once off payment and games designed around quality with definitive conclusions rather than hooks to keep me paying. It's really nice to complete something and move on rather than being semi-invested in dozens of games as updates trickle out.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I think the current model for Sony is good and doesn't need to change for the foreseeable future.

This might change, but atm the only way to make complete single player games with a sustainable business model, is to sell them at full price. I'll gladly pay it for those games I'm interested in, because I'd never have time to play "everything" either way.

Of course game pass is basically a steal now because MS has decided to suck the losses, but from a business perspective it just can't stay that way for long. Money has to be made somehow, it's a fact and micro transactions will definitely play a role in it.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I want my SP oriented games, i don't want them to lose quality because have to be included in a relatively cheap service. I'm fine, however, that they could include MP oriented games they may add to their line up, games like GTS for example.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
What about the shareholders?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

The game on your avatar can be finished in a week and has no extra content (only a DLC with no date)

It's really that bad?

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Really? Because from what I've seen all big first-party Xbox games are built around online content and have microtransactions.
Sea of Thieves added microtransactions one year and an half after its launch. State of Decay 2 don't have microtransactions, if I'm not wrong.

Microsoft has also published (and will continue to publish) a lot of single player games: Ori and the Will of the wisps, Wasteland 3, Battletoads... We could say the same for EA with Jedi: Fallen Order.

People who think that subscription services only mean GAAS are wrong. Those services need as much subscribers as they can, so they will have single player games as well as online multiplayer games.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
No thanks.

Keep that shit out of my games.