• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Mario Kart 8's customization system looks interesting on the surface but it's... a little weird and it feels weird too. I like all the cute karts you can unlock, but I think I might prefer these as just cosmetic skins and have each player have clearly defined strengths and weaknesses that made them feel unique. Now, that may be hard to do and balance for a large roster, but Mario Kart has a lot of uninteresting characters who could either be cut or just be character costumes. What direction do people want Mario Kart 9 to go in?

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I liked in double dash how characters had unique items. They should do that again.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Well, I fully believe that MK9 will be Super Smash Kart and we could see a larger overhaul of how everything works.

But I'm fine with the current customization.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
what
goodness no

individual characters have weight classes. That's their differentiation.

MK8D has good carts, wheels customization, etc.

Why get rid of all that for each character to have stats? That's what they did for like the first 4 Mario Karts.
It wasn't nearly as good.

GuruSensei

Sep 9, 2019
I hope the soundtrack for 9 is better, as well. The music tracks(pun) are the main reason, for me, i love the series, and while there some good pieces here and there, they don't stick in your brain like the earlier ones, especially Super Circuit. That's a damn underrated soundtrack.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I'd rather we be able to choose stats or racing class. I don't like how parts affected your stats making me use ugly ones or characters I don't want because the ones I like are tied to something I don't like.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope the soundtrack for 9 is better, as well. The music tracks(pun) are the main reason, for me, i love the series, and while there some good pieces here and there, they don't stick in your brain like the earlier ones, especially Super Circuit. That's a damn underrated soundtrack.
MK8's soundtrack is masterclass though. Dolphin Shoals, Rainbow Road 64, Mount Wario, the main theme, Wild Woods, Shy Guy Falls; there's just so many amazing tracks in the game.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
As much I'd love for them to try unique character gimmicks, and I can only see this being an absolute clusterfuck to balance.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I'd like to have the option to skip kart selection and limit it to one single type/category.
For example, require all racers to use the classic-style go karts.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I just wish every kart and character was cosmetic so we could see all kinds of variety. Of course they will never dare to do that because reviews would slam it. So they need to over complicate things... like they did with MK8.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
The kart customisation is totally against the simplicity of MK. Every time it comes up I have to explain to people what's happening.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Character's specific stat.

Best would be every single character had slightly different stats.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I'd rather they continue to devote their time and energy to tracks rather than characters. It's what works best for Mario Kart.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Keep everything as-is, just make the characters more important in terms of stats. The stats should be defined by the character you pick, then fine-tuned by the kart parts you choose.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Thought about this and went back and forth but I think the best system should be characters with no stats and the Kart itself dictates if it's heavy/medium/light and then wheels etc, fine tune it more.
People like to play with their favourite characters regardless of handling so why limit it?

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, what they have now is great. The ability to push a character up and down a few weight tiers is what made it possible for me to play the heavy characters that I like comfortably at any point of my MK8 experience. Even when 200cc came out I was still able to make all of them work pretty easily. If it were any of the other Mario Karts that had pre-set character stats, I don't know if I would've been able to tough that 200cc learning curve out.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I can't stand characters having fixed stats in a kart racer. It just feels completely unnecessary. I don't want a character I like to have awful handling and be miserable to play. You should always be allowed to patch a weakness by sacrificing another stat through customization. After having the freedom to do this in Mario Kart and Sonic All-Stars Racing, it felt awful to go to Crash Team Racing where if a character is in a class you don't like you're just shit of out luck.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
No thanks, online will just be 12 players using the same character who has the best weapon, like a Koopa with 3 Red Shells or something

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a mix of both, I'd be happier with just having different full karts rather than kart parts, for example. Double Dash I feel had the best balance between characters being unique and still being able to customize.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Go back to the way it was in Mario Kart DS; pick a character and then pick between 3 carts and that's it.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer customized karts. It sucks to have a character you like and not have their playstyle be your thing.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like them to go back to the classic preset karts for each weight class, like on Wii. I wasn't a fan of the customisation on 8- it stripped the karts of their identity.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The customization feels like such a waste of time when turning it on with friends over. A bunch of people staring at stats with no grasp how much it matters.

Like I'm fine with selecting different karts, but there's no reason to have 3 separate categories. Or make them unique in an ability sense. The kart has stats, but wheels and parachutes grant you different play bonuses like recover from bananas faster or something.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Me, a little while ago:

I've recently been going way back and playing the original Forza Motorsport - which holds up well enough - and that's got me thinking that what I really want on switch is a racing game with a career mode. Much as I love Mario Kart, there's little persistence to it; you play a GP, you're done, little carries over (In the case of MK8D, I guess there's the car parts, which is a step in that sort of direction). But doing a single race on my commute into work and feeling like I've got something permanent out of that, that idea I find quite appealing.

While that attitude is obviously lending itself towards wanting Nintendo getting something akin to PGR or Forza Horizon... I think there's a bit of me, too, which wonders a bit about how effective a proper Mario Kart career mode could be!

And later:

One thing I think they could perhaps do is try doing something a bit different with the DLC/next MK on Switch. I've been playing early Forzas of late, and I've been wondering if some form of Career Mode could work for Mario Kart; while I enjoy the game, it's always very fleeting; there's rarely a sense of just wanting to get to that next goal. Back on the DS we had the glorious Mission Mode, which is probably the best starting point for such a concept - lots of events with unusual bespoke rules. I'd love a menu of "coin challenge", "checkpoint challenge", "Endurance race", "200cc No-items cups", that sort of thing, and a real sense of progression tied to it. And of course there's nothing preventing a set of rotating online challenges as well, there's got to be interesting ways they can mix up that gameplay.

So, yes, I'm kind-of curious whether a proper career mode in Mario Kart would be effective; some form of constant progression, with perhaps a bit more kart customisation to fit around that; not talking Forza scale, but a bit more in-depth than what we currently have.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Just keep it how it is.

One thing that should change is to keep other nintendo characters away and make a roster full of mario characters.

I don't want MK to face another Smash situation.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest - neither.

In Mario Kart, I've always preferred an even playing field, as there's enough randomness to go around on the track. It's so odd to me that Mario Kart is supposed to be an accessible game (evidenced by the "no steer"/"no accelerate" options in the pause menu) - but every time I boot up Mario Kart 8 DX to play with someone who's only used to the older ones, we get to the customization screen and they go "wait, huh?" and I have to explain it every time.

Let us customize our karts I guess, but don't make them grant statistical differences. Make every player play pretty much the same, as 90% of players are picking characters for the character, not the weight class/differences etc. anyway.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
have each player have clearly defined strengths and weaknesses that made them feel unique.
Isn't this already a thing, more or less?

mario-kart-weight-classes-800x356.png

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Customization is woth the trouble it causes. The customization let's you have your preferred character and your preferred stats, to a certain extent at least.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Honestly, I just want to make a cool looking kart instead of worrying about what the individual components will do to my stats. As the system exists now, I get a Frankenstein's monster on wheels that handles like a dream, but I'd prefer to just keep it cosmetic.