• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where would you prefer to live?

• Small space in the city

Votes: 314 43.1%
  • Large space in the suburbs

Votes: 307 42.1%
  • Larger space in a rural area

Votes: 108 14.8%

• Total voters

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Rural for sure. Since moving to a city, I really miss my privacy. Also the good kind of nature (more deer and raccoons and whatnot, less dead rats on the sidewalk)

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Higher densities are more sustainable, as they occupy less land and require less resources to distribute services (like utilities and garbage collection), while making public transport more efficient and reducing car dependency.

Suburbs and urban sprawling are very unsustainable. It's a very inefficient way of using land; in the space taken by two detached single family homes (each one with its yard in typical suburban fashion) where two families would live, you can house several times that number with a medium-sized apartment building (four to five stories high, two families per story).
Ahhh yes that makes sense! Thanks for explaining.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I hate living in the city and I've lived in quite a few (Madrid, Barcelona, Birmingham, Stockholm, Munich etc). Give me that sweet nature lifestyle and fresh air any day of the week.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The later. I like my area, everything I need is within 5-10 minutes of walking. Supermarkets are also near, and there are lots of schools to choose for my son.

That won't be the case if I live in a suburb/rural area.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Grew up rural and I still love it. Would love to build a giant home out away from people with a few animals and giant garden.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I've got a lot of plastic models that take up space so as much as I'd love to live in the city I'll take the larger space. I currently live an hour/hour and a half outside Tokyo so that's the best mix for me. Cheaper land/rents out here and can hop on the train to Tokyo and go there whenever I like.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I can't imagine why anyone would want to live in a small place in the city. I can live in a nearby suburb, get more (and nicer) house for my money, and anything I'd want to do in the city is only a few minutes away.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbs. I need a nice, safe, quiet place to raise my kids and dogs, but I also don't want to be too far from the city so I can visit occasionally.

A 2000 sq. ft or so house would be ideal.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
City all the way. Even as an introvert, I prefer being close to the centre of things; restaurants, events, museums, etc. I much prefer using public transit and reducing my environmental footprint, that kind of thing is easier in a city.

Also I don't want to live in a house and have to worry about mowing my lawn, shovelling my drive and general home maintenance.
Yep. This is me right here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Ideally I'd want to live in a rural area that's socially progressive/diverse and somehow has high speed internet since I like the pros of rural living (not a lot of people, way cheaper, lots of space), but I might be trans so like that makes things harder. I'd also want a job that allows me to work from home so I would basically just never leave my large rural space and I'd get to hide away from society at large, and I still wouldn't have to drive (I currently use public transport) since I just wouldn't leave the house.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Right now, definitely small place in the city. I lived in the burbs my whole life until my late 20s and I don't have any desire to go back. I value being able to walk everywhere and hate driving. As great as it is to have a lot of space, the reality is I can make do perfectly well with less as long as I have a certain minimum and luckily that minimum fits in an apartment or condo lol. It's easier to get people to hang out at your place when they don't have to go way out to the burbs. I have walkable access to restaurants, bars, music venues, movie theaters, shopping, museums, etc. I also don't plan on having any kids and don't mind the noise of the city. I actually kind of prefer it. So yeah I don't see my mind changing any time soon.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I like the idea of going rural. Gotta make that FU money first so I can get better than 15mbps down DSL in my neck of the preferred woods. Until then, I live in the burbs of a small city (15,000 people).

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine why anyone would want to live in a small place in the city. I can live in a nearby suburb, get more (and nicer) house for my money, and anything I'd want to do in the city is only a few minutes away.

A burb is not a few minutes away from the city.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Small place in the city suits me just fine, especially as an introvert. I look specifically for an Energy Label A/Energy Index <1.00 appartement so expenses are as low as possible. Having all shops and food places within walking distance is amazing, but also no garden maintenance is awesome.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I just need somewhere to park without any hassle. As long as I have that and decent access to everything via said car, I'm good.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
really depends on the city. Los Angeles is pretty garbage for city life. You just pay more for more dense sprawl unless you're right in DTLA, which is alright but too far from my work.

portland and seattle are worth a smaller place to be in the city imo. I personally enjoy most of my activities at home so it has to be a great city to sacrifice my space.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
Alot, especially for US suburbs where public transit is nonexistent. People in this thread declaring they want/need all this open space is mind-boggling. When your suburb living requires you to take a car to a freagin' grocery store that's a problem.
Obviously i'm gonna carry my 20 bags of groceys on the bus and down the block to the house myself. I live in the south suburbs of Chicago and i could take the bus to the grocery store but again 10-20 bags of groceys plus bus times makes it pointless.

Yes suburbs are inefficent but until you fix the problems that make them necessary or make people want them then saying that is pointless.

Last edited:

Oct 30, 2017
i live near shinjuku in tokyo and am totally happy with the size of the place i share with my wife. we each have our own "offices" for our own stuff plus the bedroom, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, a big living room and a roof garden.

it'd be nice to have, but i don't really know what i'd do with the space in a suburban american house. then again, we probably pay less in rent than most central two-room places in any NA city we'd be able to live in career-wise.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Obviously i'm gonna carry my 20 bags of groceys on the bus and down the block to the house myself. I live in the south suburbs of Chicago and i could take the bus to the grocery store but again 10-20 bags of groceys plus bus times makes it pointless.

Yes suburbs are inefficent but until you fix the problems that make them necessary or make people want them then saying that is pointless.

I don't see how suburbs are necessary, atleast in their American incarnation. Yes not everyone can live in a city but suburbs not need be so land inefficient.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
City, for sure. Especially my apartment now in the city center. I honestly wish I could buy it out and stay here permanently. It is so nice that I'm like 500 steps away from a bus that is a central line to many other buses/the train. I love being able to walk to the grocery store, pharmacy, post office, even city hall. I grew up in a rural area and I would never, ever want to go back to having to drive 30 minutes minimum to hit up a large grocery store (which is a Walmart in this case).

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I don't want to own a car so city for me. Public transport here is great and I'm buying an apartment right now because I don't really want to leave. Sure, I could probably get a much bigger flat or a house plus a car for the same money somewhere else, but I just can't deal with the commute.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to live right on top of the nightclubs anymore like I used to, but I don't want to live in some tiny village either. I don't drive, either, so I need that public transportation access and closeby grocery stores.

Thankfully my girlfriend is on the same page as me.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, so according to this voting, just a handful would fight me for a home in the rural area? COOOOOL!

Namea

Dec 2, 2017
Burbs for me, European here. I've lived in the big city (central) all my life and after moving here, about 30 mins away from the buzz, I can barely grasp how I was able to put up with everything for so long. The noise, the dirt, the people, the traffic, crammed spaces, construction sites, constant stress, crazy rents... I avoid it like the plague now and only go there when I have to go or really feel like it.

The things that are attractive to most people (restaurants, bars, clubs, cinemas etc.) were never very appealing to me and they don't outweigh the negative as far as I'm concerned. It's nice to go there once in a while, but I don't need that to be happy.

Not sure what counts as a large house. I just want enough space to thrive and pursue the things I enjoy.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I'd prefer a large property in a suburb

That way I'm not too close to the nightlife and bars and ever-present noise that I dislike but I'm still close enough to the city center to be able to enjoy the things I do like

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country

If you live in a dense area with shops and supermarkets in close walking distances you can go more often. You don't need to buy several weeks' worth of groceries.

And for larger families, you can still own a car and go to larger supermarkets and get as many things you need in as many bags as you require, living in a high density area is not incompatible with all that. That's how me and my family have functioned since always.

But as opposed as to living in the suburbs, you don't need a car to go just about everywhere.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
City Life for me. I get bored easily and need to go out otherwise I'll go crazy just being cooped up. I go through cycles of introversion and extroversion. And during my introversion phases I don't need much space anyway, I pretty much just need a comfy bed and a patio to smoke weed on.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
Urban flat for me and my family. Lived almost my entire childhood in a suburban house. Sure, it's nice to have lots of space but it's also horrible to clean. Also the yard is a lot of work (been there, done that) and the long distance to the city center (15+ km) meaning you can't go there easily by yourself as a child/teenager. Some days my parents had to drive the distance 5 times both ways.

Me and my wife don't even want a car and we don't want anymore space than we use. At the moment we live within 5-10 minute bicycle drive away from the city center, kids daycare, my wifes place of employment and the university campus where I study.

Jun 22, 2019
I've been in both burbs and city, and I think I'm ready to try rural if I ever change states. Although I'd rather have a small house for less maintenance (but with a huge yard or just empty land).
I never do any of the "city life" stuff anyway, as it either doesn't interest me or I can't afford it, and I mostly work from home anyway.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I love living in the city but I would prefer to have a bigger place thats still a walkable distance from the city centre.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I have no desire to pay what it costs to live in most cities. I don't need a big house either. I want to be close to the city so I can get a job, but far enough away so I can escape if I need to.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If I need to drive or ride a bus for an hour to get anywhere then it's not even worth it. Commutes in the US are crazy. I prefer denser areas or maybe living just outside the city.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
I loved living out in the country but I was still only 25 minutes from work, so it wasn't a crazy rural commute like some have. Still, I prefer a rural life with accessibility to necessities within a 30 minute drive. I would hate living in a city considering how I grew up and what my hobbies are.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I'm biased, but I verymuch prefer suburban or rural to city life.

You know what I live when you're in the sticks, go outside at night and it's totally dar, pitch black in winter especiall, no street lights, or police cars, ambulances going last all hours of the night. Just the night sky and the sounds of nature.

Where I am right now is good, I live in a small town but I'm right next to a major bus route which goes to a big city, so I can easily visit it at leisure and still go back home to my preferred place easily at the end of the day.

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Small space in a city. The closemindedness of the suburbs drains me and I need diversity to feel comfortable in an environment. If I ever crave privacy of a rural area I'll visit my grandparents up in the moutains of Puerto Vallarta.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I picked large space in the suburbs, but a large (or huge) space in the city would be preferable.
I couldn't do rural.

Oct 27, 2017
Big house in the suburbs, everyone has their own personal space.

Cities are nice to visit but I like leaving and going home

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I don't need to live downtown in a huge city, but I also don't want to have to rely on my car for day to day things. I'm in a suburb right now, but I have a major bus route nearby, and can walk to the subway in about 15 mins. I can bike around easily as well, there's a good community path basically in my back yard. I feel like having stuff to do around me is good for my mental health, even if I'm a bit of a home body most of the time

I'd absolutely buy property here if I could afford it.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
I don't need much space and I don't drive nor do I plan to, so city for sure. Much easier to find and meet groups/clubs for my interests as well (board games, foreign language practice, etc)

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Smaller place in the city all the way.
Suburbs is okay if it's not too far. I honestly don't want to drive 30 minutes to get to the city.
Rural area never in a million years.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depending on the country/city, the "suburbs" can be as close as 5-10 minutes by train so it makes little sense to live in the heart of the city in an old and small apartment when you can have a decently big, modern (and more ecological) flat close to the center.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Rural, it wouldn't even have to be a big house, just lots of trees, green and privacy. Whenever I drive past a big house in the middle of nowhere, I wonder who lives there, what they do and how I get me some of that. I suppose a big part of the fantasy is being financially comfortable.