• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flight or Instant Transmission?

• Flight

Votes: 162 26.6%
  • Instant Transmission

Votes: 447 73.4%

• Total voters

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering about this randomly at work. Those of you familiar with Dragonball Z know that among Goku's myriad abilities are flight and instant transmission.

Per the Dragonball Wiki:

Instant Transmission (瞬しゅん間かん移い動どう Shunkan Idō, lit. "Instantaneous Movement", also translated as "Teleportation") is a technique for traveling long distances instantly.
Instant Transmission allows Goku and anyone that is in physical contact with him to instantly travel great distances (from meters to light-years, between the living world and Other World, or even travel outside time itself) just by concentrating on a particular individual's ki signature, and transmitting or feeling that being's location. Goku can take passengers along with him as long as they are touching him.
Because Instant Transmission requires a ki signature to lock onto (whereas Kai Kai does not), the successful performance of the technique is dependent on one's ability to detect them.

Flight (舞空術 Bukūjutsu, lit. "Dancing Sky Art") is one of the most commonly used techniques in the Dragon Ball series, allowing its users to perform techniques that would normally be very impractical or downright impossible without it.
The user manipulates their ki energy so that they can levitate or fly.
The way Gohan describes the secret to fly, one would assume that the flyer is putting their ki underneath them, forcing it down similar to an engine or helicopter pushing air down to rise from the ground.

Let's assume that you get the requisite abilities to use either ability proficiently. (e.g., ki manipulation or detection, etc.) Instant transmission seems like it would be objectively more useful in nearly every circumstance. However, flying just seems like it would be more fun.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of teleporting to the kitchen then back to my room sounds nice so that option.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IT only works if you can lock onto anothers ki.

Flight let's you go anywhere, just takes longer, flight wins for me.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
IT because duh. If someone you're familiar with is somewhere, you can go there.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
does IT come with the supernatural senses needed to like, target a safe place to materialize?
i don't want to pop into solid rock or 40 feet up without flight or with a lamp embedded in me

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Flying is cool and likely more fun.

IT is way better from a practicality view. To just be somewhere at a thought would change everything for me.

FuddyDuddy

Nov 4, 2019
Seeing how I can't detect any kind of energy flying seems more useful. I don't want to know what kind of gruesome fate awaits if you try use IT without any kind of target.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Flying.

IT is definitely better in a practical standpoint but I would just love to fly above the clouds or go through one (While wearing proper gear ofc) and check out some horizons. Plus, while I have a fear of heights, if I'm flying, that would certainly end (For example, I'm not afraid of heights when on an airplane).

Besides, if we're talking about DBZ flying, they can get pretty quick. Gotenks flew around the world a couple of times in 30 minutes.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say IT but it's hard to say without going into the specific limitation they both would have.

Flight up to what speed ?
How good our ability to detect ki signature would be ?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I pick flight because it is a lot more fun, but IT would probably be the most useful out of the two. Flight it is.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Does anyone here ever watched Jumper?
When i think about Instant Transmission i remember about that movie, and that would be exactly what i would do lol

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I voted for flying because it sounds more fun, and the distances I typically travel aren't that long anyway. Not only that, but DBZ characters can already fly faster than light, so time wouldn't be a huge factor either.

I do wonder if flying fast would make me feel cold, but I never hear Dragon Ball characters complain about it, and they usually don't even have sleeves, so I figure that the ki I exert in order to fly would also keep me warm.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instant transmission sounds bad-ass. Imagine your commute to work every day being like a literal second. Or being able to instantly go to the store when you need something. Or even just visiting other countries on a whim.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really need to use IT to go off planet and Goku can probably fly round the earth hundreds of times a minute... flying is fast enough.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Instant transmission is an easy answer, unless you get sleepy or drunk and you teleport yourself halfway inside the floor, looking like that woman in star trek tng.
jellyfloor.png

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at the poll, i expected more for flight.

For me it's flight hands down. To be able to fly all over? Would be awesome.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
For instant transmission you need to know somebody to teleport to. You can't teleport if there's no one there or if it's a stranger iirc

Souzetsu

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
California
Flying is all fun and games until you run into the millions of bugs that are up there.

Instant Transmission though? Imagine being able to anywhere in the world, another planet, star, galaxy? Only downside is you need to lock onto someone's ki at the location to go there.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Everytime I think about flying I just think about me losing the ability and just falling to my death. Even if I had Goku's durability I'd vote for instant transmission. Cool to be on the other side of the world in an instant, no more long distant relationships.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I'd probably instant transmit myself into space or the bottom of the ocean. I go with flying.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Can I use any other chi based powers? Lol.

I think I'd take Instant Transmission. Like, I'd love to be able to just instantly warp to my brother, thousands of miles away, smoke a bowl watch some anime . . . Good stuff. And I guess having this technique means I'd be able to sense any of my loved ones on the whole planet?

Oct 17, 2018
Instant transmission requires a person to teleport to though and also that person needs a decent power level unless they're really close so it seems quite meh overall for us since a regular humans power level is only around 5 so you wouldn't be able to teleport across Earth with it.

Do we get Gokus speed while flying or it tied to our power?

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IT is way more convenient, but flying would be way more fun. Journey before destination, and all that jazz.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I would wake up and IT to work in an instant and not have to deal with traffic and smoggy air. Then, when I'm done, I have a cat at home who I can detect and IT back here. Man, that would be so awesome.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
IT is useless unless you have top tier ki detection. And in the real world you'd have to deal with the issue that you might teleport yourself inside of a wall.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
Instant transmission requires a person to teleport to though and also that person needs a decent power level unless they're really close so it seems quite meh overall for us since a regular humans power level is only around 5 so you wouldn't be able to teleport across Earth with it.

Do we get Gokus speed while flying or it tied to our power?
Considering the higher powerlevel goes for interplanetary travel, I don't think ti needs to be too high for ITing across earth.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I can't sense ki, and haven't travelled many places to recall, so instant transmission wouldn't help me much.

Flight, though? That's on the path to becoming a saiyan human elite.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as someone sees you flying and the government learns of it they're immediately capture and study you.

So instant transmission because it's easier to hide.