• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you?

• Of course

Votes: 385 60.4%
  • Nope nope nope

Votes: 252 39.6%

• Total voters

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
hell yes, they're just spider babies

babies seem pretty harmless and i could squash momma w/ the other hand before going in

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I'm arachnophobic.
$100,000 for only minute.
I'll close my eyes and pretend it's just a bunch of tiny 8 legged puppies.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I said no, but unfortunately I probably would given the chance if I saw that it was a legit offer. I would also need to know I couldn't get killed by doing it from whatever venom they may have.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they bite? Hell even if they do I probably would do it.

They bite. Loads of "harmless" spiders, including house spiders, bite in theory but seldom in pratice. Most spiders that CAN bite will do so when they're feeling squished or about to get sat on for example - some do it defensively and aggressively.

The problem is that even with tiny fangs, and low venom, that's a lot of potential microdoses and even more problematic - a lot of bacteria and other nasty crap in the nest and on their teeth so your chance of a serious infection or complications goes up. Now, it's possible that slowly pushing your hand gently in there wouldn't rile them up, but you don't want to find out you have a serious allergy by testing that theory right there.

SO think I'd be a naw on this nest, even though I'm not normall worried by siders at all. I almost always catch and release unless it's a Hobo and there's a chance it'll scurry into hiding. Because I'd rather ice it then than deal with my wife or kid finding it later. You'd think they were tigers rather than spiders, the way they react.

I once climbed through a spiderweb on the way up a ladder after jumping from a fishing village jetty and when I got to the top about a thousand baby spiders were cascading down my face and torso. I jumped back in the water so fast and panicked that I'm lucky I didn't decapitate myself on a mooring line.

I was itchy for the next twenty years.

EDIT. $100k! Hell yeah. I'd do it immediately.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
*venomous

And nah. Fuck that. It's horrifying.

yZ9qqH3u_Z4MBwUoH4aOVS-YB0i3uoKcdSOnevcTWIo.jpg

Fair enough.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For $100k...? Sure.

Unless these things are venomous/dangerous and pose a true risk to my person.

That's pretty terrifying to me but I think I could suffer through 60 seconds and deal with it for $100,000.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
$100,000 would be beyond life-changing for me, I would do it in a heartbeat

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
If I could close my eyes and have someone force my hand into it.

I legitimately don't' think I could willingly do it, even though logically I would be very willing.

I would freeze up if I tried to do it myself, huge fear of spiders.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Only if they're not poisonous and I can do it without hurting the lil fellas.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I don't like spiders, but this would clear my mortgage, so of course I'd do it.

EDIT: Aside from seriously hurting another person, there's not much I wouldn't do for $100,000.

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Live animals are not your toys. If you're itching to do dumb bets, just lick some tide pods like the rest of the kids.

Feb 10, 2018
If there not poisonous and would not cause much damage I would, but that momma spider would probably bite chunks out your hand.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming they're not poisonous, then sure. It would be creepy as fuck, and a good mental excercise, but sure.
In this hypothetical situation that would never happen no - I don't want to risk killing spiders for money.
On the flip side, I'd set that thing on fire for like $10.

Deleted member 10224

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
" 1 minute. Full arm. Perfectly still " I literally couldn't do it. You could give me a billion $ and I still couldn't do it.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
No venom and there's actually enough room for me to do it without killing them....sure. I'd suck it up for $100k and I have horrible arachnophobia. Worth it for my family, lol.

(I'd probably do it for $10k)

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
That's an old world species, so yes they do bite, and the venom will hurt pretty bad. BUT it won't kill you, and that's a lot of money.

I'd try, as long as I don't get stuck with the gom jabbar if I pull out early.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Logically for that money, yes.

But in actual practice, I don't know if I could overcome my natural fear and force my mind to move my arm into that and stay perfectly still for a minute...

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
my hand covered in steel and burning oil and a flame that is hotter than the sun?
sure, why not?

otherwise i'd be spending it all on the medical bills. /ThisisAmerica

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Firstly - No.

Secondly - What type are they? And WTF is that big mother fucker? Is it genetically modified???

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sure. Not gonna pretend it wouldn't freak me out but fuzzy tarantulas are pretty low on the spider ick scale for me.

Had one as pet before (inherited), never felt any need to handle her directly though.