• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you prefer the Switch Pro have 4K or SSD?

Votes: 501 42.2%
  • SSD

Votes: 686 57.8%

• Total voters

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Switch Pro would probably use UFS 2.0 or better anyway, which is plenty fast, do an SSD is not that necessary. The specs that go into 4K (DLSS, strong GPU/RAM bandwidth) seem much more useful.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
4K.

I think the last Nintendo console that ran at my display's native resolution was N64 or GameCube. I'm tired of playing Nintendo games at poor resolutions.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Switch already uses solid state storage so more GPU all the way.

Even playing games off of the SD card is better than a mechanical drive.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'll take 4k since it could imply a performance mode that allows me to play some of the system gems at higher than 22 fps.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
DLSS support is my number one request -- I think it's doable to have that (given the Nvidia hardware) as well as a GPU increase for faster loading. But if I had to pick one, I'd take DLSS, so the answer is 4K on that technicality.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Christ, people flexing with "it already has flash storage". Stop. It's embarrassing.

Do people really think that 100MB/s SD cards are the same as 3GB/s SSDs?
The point is more that the Switch storage solution is already ancient, and the current low-end solution of UFS 2.0 already does 1 GB/s. What's more, in order to support those multi-GB read speeds, you need a ton of processing power. PS5/XSX support this via customised hardware, Switch would need something similar to have any use for those high loading speeds. At those speeds, it's the CPU that's the bottleneck, not the storage speed anymore, so going for a multi-GB vs. 1 GB/s storage solution probably does nothing but waste precious power draw. Even the 1GB/s solution probably above the feasible limit already.

It's not that Switch wouldn't benefit from faster storage - it's more that improvements in GPU processing by way of better ALU performance as well as DLSS support is so much more likely to make a tangible difference. But it's the CPU that needs the boost the most I think - and luckily advances there have gone really fast, so some much better solutions are available.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
This is just about as dumb as people saying that PCs have had SSDs for years so there is nothing special about the PS5/Series X load times.
Ok but what makes the PS5/XSX special is PCIe4, not "SSD"

edit: this isn't a pedantic distinction either. People are posting stuff like "super fast storage because 4K is too power hungry". You know what else runs hot and power hungry? PCIe4. You're not going to run that bus on a low power handheld and that's going to cap your transfer speeds at the level of cheaper drives that will still, nonetheless, be SSDs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should have both, yeah? The latest Playstation and Xbox models launched with both. Even 4K with some kind of reconstruction like DLSS plus an SSD should be the expectation.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
4k for 4k user interface would be nice, the "actual" game doesn't need to render in 4k.
Their storage is already quite decent, but can be improved of course.

WRC

Oct 28, 2017
the slow loads in the switch are because of the cpu/ram bottleneck, not because the emmc. The ram in the switch is pretty slow and low bus bandwitdh.

So yeah i would have an ssd in line with better cpu/ram.

resolution sholud go 4k with dlss, or native 1080-1440p.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
Should be noted that the OP (probably) means with the SSD a NVMe storage (or another sophisticated SSD solution) and hardware capable of sustaining higher read and write speeds compared to the current ancient embedded MMC solution, which literally is a memory card embedded on the SoC.

4k is a pipe dream, there are upscalers that can achieve 4k but the quality varies, a lot. DLSS is its own hurdle and would require certain hardware components on the SoC that Switch Pro would use. It's not very likely Nintendo has interest to pay for it and the internal resolution would have to be decent for DLSS to have any actual benefit. This means that older games may not see any benefit from DLSS solution

Jun 17, 2018
I'd actually prefer a 1080p handheld screen. All games running at native res and 30fps or higher. Most big third party games are running 25fps which is annoying.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
SSD and quick resume would be a dream.

People who are not bothered by the astounding loading times for a game like ACNH are boggling my mind.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
SSD the speediness is almost a must nowadays being able to load into any game super quick is great. An SSD also means more things can be done as it is able to load faster so bigger worlds with more details.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It already has an SSD, and 4k is a silly ask when machine with 10-15x the wattage aren't doing that a lot of the time.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Switch already uses flash, so ssd would be redundant.. and would make it bulky.

I'd be down for 4k output. Assuming a pro would be beefy enough to take advantage of it.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
DLSS support and 4K are pretty much the only sensible pairing for it.

That said the device desperately needs a decent amount of internal storage.

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Where's the option for neither? ;) I'd rather they target 60fps. Switch storage is already fast enough and I don't use my switch for 4k gaming (I may have a small bias there tho!)

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
1080p 60fps with a storage fast enough (not need for high end ssd) is the sweetspot for a device like switch.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
I don t care at all about 4K.
I don t have a 4K tv, 4K in portable mode don t bring anything.
But loading times could seriously be improved

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4k, since that would most likely include the implementation of HDR. The load times in the Switch are already decent. Sure they can be faster, but they're far from bad with the occasional exception.

Pezking

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely 4K. The Switch desperately needs to look better on current TVs.

Wouldn't even upgrade just for an SSD. Loading times on the Switch are fine as they are.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don t care at all about 4K.
I don t have a 4K tv, 4K in portable mode don t bring anything.
But loading times could seriously be improved

Via DLSS even undocked games would see significant gains though. Like DOOM Eternal undocked with DLSS would be crystal clear 720p on a Switch, not very muddy/blurry 540p or less.

And you'd probably get a higher frame rate to boot.

Jan 13, 2020
I don't even have a 4K TV, but 4K; if it's powerful enough to do 4K, it means it'll be better supported. Switch is already blisteringly fast in most cases.

Maliq

Oct 26, 2017
The question should have been targeting 4K/30fps vs 1080p/60fps. Which one you prefer?

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Since it already has flash storage, how about asking:
"Which is MOST important for you in a Switch Pro?"
- 60/120fps
- Larger storage

I'm sure 60/120fps option would be dominant here.
The main reason I'm holding off from getting a Switch is because I want BOTW in 60fps.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
If the internal memory of the Switch is already flashstorage, it's probably the most insanely slow flashstorage in a device.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
Why are you expecting either in a Pro revision?
These are massive improvements you'll only have in Switch 2

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
SSD easy.

4K is barely in any kind of household. And the only way you will see the difference is to have a good sized TV.
I haven't seen the stats but "barely in any household" sounds like a stretch. Considering pretty much every single TV in the market north of $250 is 4K, and has been for a few years now, I get the feeling that there's significant overlap between people who shop for consoles and people who have a 4K screen.

Now if we were talking about "TVs bright enough for actually decent HDR", I'd definitely agree that a tiny tiny fraction of the population owns one.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
4K, because that would indicate the hardware is actually decently powerful this time.

Also because SSDs from Nintendo are probably a LONG way off.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Looks at Animal Crossing......

For the love of god an SSD. The game takes waaaaaaaay too long to launch.

Plus I would much rather they focused on more realistic resolutions like 1080p if it allows to reach 60 fps. I want 30 fps to die as a standard as quickly as possible.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I don't have a 4k tv and I play mostly in portable mode but I'd choose the 4k option if it goes with better or more stable framerate for games. And possibly nice anti aliasing via downsampling.

If the catch is more pixels but 30 or sub 30 Fps, no thanks.

It's true that PS5 load times are the true next gen surprise for me, but switch games are Ok in this regard for the most part. Cartridges and Sd cards are already pretty fast media.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
I don't own a Switch so I may be wrong on this, but don't people make great use of external storage (SD cards)?
With a custom SSD either you say goodbye to that or you force games to run with slower interfaces (which is not ideal).
Actually given the fact that SD UHS-III and SD Express pretty much don't exist (but a Switch 2 could possibly make them more popular) right now the storage situation it's a bit of a problem.