• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which will you prefer?

• No speaking

Votes: 435 46.4%
  • Speaking

Votes: 503 53.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
Samus is alone a lot, so I don't want a talkative character.

That being said, I'd rather she just be voiced, sparingly given the tone and mood of the games I don't get anything out of silent protagonists (it doesn't bother me per se, but it's not better imo).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No voice acting is safer.

And like has been said, Samus is mysterious and her not speaking arguably lends to that allure.
And why does it need to be "safer?" Playing it safe didn't get us the best Zelda game yet. Metroid shouldn't be treated with kids gloves.

And to little to late on Samus, she's talked in three games now, genies out of the bottle.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
samus isn't a player avatar like link was supposed to be. but she needs better writers.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even remember her speaking therefore it added nothing to me.
hqdefault.jpg

(Still the best Metroid game.)

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Silent protags only belong in games with a create a character.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Dialogue has no place in a good metroid. If you want some pre and post game exposition and some exertion/pain grunts and groans that's fine, but I want where i am to be wholly alien to me. If i ever see anything speak it better not be in a language i can understand.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
She can speak, that barriers been broken, but I feel like dialogue in Metroid should be relegated to the very end of a game or a short intro cutscenes (basically just like Super and Zero Mission.) The constant talking in fusion, Prime 3, and Other M reeeeeally affects the flow of the game; Metroid is about talking to yourself in your mind, piecing together the route to victory. Having other characters and/or Samus break that up at every turn is agony (though Prime 3 is pretty well paced despite that.)

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't mind either way. But if she's going to be voiced, they better write her as a tough-as-nails, cool-as-a-cucumber, badass bounty hunter.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
And who decides what's "good Metroid?"

This is what I was talking about earlier. This absolutism that Metroid MUST be one this way and can never change.

The idea that anything can do anything is equally bad to having overly strict definitions. The next metroid game could have dialogue and be great and be great in large part because of how well it does dialogue, but as a genre then what's important to metroid games at all? If the rest of the trappings are largely just about exploration and alien worlds then isn't there a scale between no dialogue and all dialogue that something like mass effect falls on? I don't think anyone would call mass effect a metroid so what lines need to be drawn exactly to keep it as one or the other? Those are definitions, restrictions, absolutisms. For me, metroid finds itself best when it has no focus on dialogue, when you are fully immersed in the feeling of being someplace alien and unknown, until you learn it and know it through exploration. Whatever highs and lows of emotion that could come from having multiple voiced characters having conversations with samus, that's not really what i go to a metroid for. I don't want anything as comforting as a recognizable person with a shared language getting in the way of my hypnotic brinstar music.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
Voiced. But for atmospheric purposes if she's solo, just limit the voice clips to hint guiding soundbites like, "I can't go that way" or "I could try that ledge." And I guess she could do voice logs of her findings through the Scan Visor or something.

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
IMO Nintendo is at it's best when they focus on making 'gamey' games which focus on creative unique mechanics and fun gameplay loops. Dialog and voice work not so much.

If you could have something along the lines of Naughty Dog quality acting and voice work combined with the more traditional 'fun' Nintendo formula that would be great. But I just don't trust Nintendo is up to the task (or Retro- no offense).

Bad or even mediocre voice work/dialog is SO MUCH WORSE than just leaving her silent. Plus doesn't really feel like it's needed to have a good Metroid Game.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
In conclusion, almost half of everyone wants Samus to be seen and not heard

And considering how many people who did want her voiced, but still said they were prefer her to almost never speak ... Nintendo's oldest and most prolific playable character will likely remain relegated to silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.