• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will you prefer?

• No speaking

Votes: 435 46.4%
  • Speaking

Votes: 503 53.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Something that comes up discussions about the Metroid series is that of Samus' voice. In Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Samus has monologue (SM, MF) and dialogue text (MF) that would presumably be voiced if there had been any voiced dialogue in tose games (aside from "the last metroid is in captivity" in SM)

There was spoken dialogue in Metroid Prime: Corruption, but by supporting characters and Aurora units (robot brains), not Samus. The only game with significant amount of voiced dialogue for Samus was Metroid: Other M, which was generally considered a poor game relative to the series, and the writing, translations, performances, and portrayal of Samus also received negative reception.

———

I would want Samus voiced. She'd voice opening monologues, either from her perspective, or even for non- or less-diegetic ones. I'd want there to be some kind of ship logs she would record that could be listened to, and any databases in the game (scanned creatures/tech) would be written and voiced from her perspective—something similar to the Codex of the Underworld in Supergiant's game Hades is written from Achilles' perspective with his personal opinions and understanding mixed in with basic information. Regardless of voice acting, I'd want in-game codexes written from her perspective.

I'd want her to speak in any instance she would be communicating with others, though I'd prefer those instances be sparse. Also similar to the game Hades, I'd want her to speak to herself during gameplay, though only at key moments and in believably incomplete ways—e.g. NOT "I'm goin to need to find a way up to that passageway" during typical gameplay, and instead more like "They all left ..." when coming across an abandoned Chozo settlement.

———

Moving forward, what would you prefer? This poll is purposefully binary as, ultimately, the series will take only one of these two paths in the future, and this will help limit interpretations like "she doesn't speak, but she still has a voice thru text (which would be 'No speaking,' in this poll)" or "very little, but pretty much none (which would count as 'Speaking,' in this poll)" that straddle the line between the options.

Choose between them, explain why you prefer one over the other, and how Samus would (or wouldn't) express herself based on your choice.

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Much like Link, not speaking unless absolutely necessary. The strong point of metroid games isn't spoken dialogue, it's the story you uncover by just exploring and finding things out, I don't need a lot of dialogue in a metroid game.

Nov 18, 2017
I voted speechless but honestly with the description youve given i kinda want the same, dont really want her speaking much. maybe a little monologues to bookend the games with but ive always viewed samus as stoic and reserved. Plus the voice acting in BOTW was pretty abysmal so the less talking the better.

also just wanted to say thank you for keeping your vote options simple and to the point. the dumb options that get put into almost every era vote thread i find really grating and kinda defeats the point of even having them.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Isn't Samus (nearly) always just operating solo in Metroid games anyways? I'm ok with some internal dialogue, but it gets a little cheesy when there's too much "talking out loud for no reason" stuff in a game. What purpose would a voiced Samus even fit?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I guess it really depends on how she's portrayed / written / acted. I'm fine with her being silent, but I won't be opposed to voice acting if it's done well.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm playing Control right now and I don't want any more metroidvanias with protagonists who don't shut up commenting on everything they see.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Just as a reminder in case people didn't reach this part of the OP:

"she doesn't speak, but she still has a voice thru text (which would be 'No speaking,' in this poll)" or "very little, but pretty much none (which would count as 'Speaking,' in this poll)"

There's a difference between "having a voice" and "a character being [audibly] voiced."

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
My favorite Metroid is Fusion and Samus talked with Adam in that one, no reason to not voice her lines in a modern game.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I think they could do Samus with a voice well if restraint is exercised. I wouldn't want Samus to be verbose or have an inner monologue. Metroid is such an isolated experience that they could have her say a line or two when appropriate, like if she happens to meet a friendly, and then have her stick to grunts and such for the vast majority of the game.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Nintendo already has a silent protagonist in Link. Samus with proper VO (and motivations) affords Nintendo an opportunity to escalate one of the baddest motherfuckers in gaming.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She should have a voice at this point. Maybe be a bit reserved like Master Chef or saved for shit like the monologues you mentioned. Metroid is at its best when it isn't beating you over the head with story and exposition. Fusion did a bit too much of this. Other M, well, yeah.

Last edited:

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I think a well-written script and understated performance would be perfect for Samus. She seems like a character who should say a lot by saying a little.

Oct 28, 2017
Metroid for me is the last hour of Alien. Maybe you hear her VO in a log, or as a sign off or whatever. But for the most part I'd prefer tense silence, with text entries and data logs to read.

Isolation.

I don't want full conversations and cutscenes where bounty hunters debate poorly written military shit.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think a well made Metroid game has much opportunity for her to talk to anyone. And monologuing for more than just the intro would probably get annoying.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd be fine with voiced. It really depends on how it's used and presented. I don't know if I really want a MP3, let alone Other M, type story again where she is interacting with lot though. Talking to herself and reading aloud stuff we find in the world could work, but if not handled well could be really jarring and distracting.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'm fine with letting her speak. Hell, for that matter, with how much character Ridley had in the manga, it's weird the two have NEVER said anything to each other over the course of so many games.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Voiced. I'm fucking tired of silent characters for the sake of just being silent. Looking at you Link and Astral Chain.

Of course by this I don't mean she should be throwing quips and shit, since that's not how she is, but let her speak and have some kind of personality unlike Link who keeps stupidly nodding while the adults have actual conversations.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to have her as the narrator of her own story. Like, you're playing the game and listening to her report of the mission or whatever, but not actual dialogue during the gameplay other than huffing or yelling if the story needs it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As per usual with most silent protagonists they should be able to speak but should be written in such a way where they don't have to speak much. I can't imagine anything worse than a Metroid game spent largely listening to audio logs.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samus doesn't have the popularity to get away with just being the face of a brand like Mario and Link. I don't want it to overpower the isolated exploration of Metroid, and I do think Samus should be a stoic hero, but there's nothing wrong with getting some dialogue here and there.

The best instances of humanizing and developing Samus have come from non-verbal interactions, though, like her drawing of her and the Chozo in Zero Mission.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I'd prefer a fusion approach.
Where they have internal monologues but refrain from speaking until the climax of the game.

Fusion handled characterization so much better than other M
I actually thought Adam was respectable in that game and Samus still badass

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Voiced, specifically by Brie Larson to wind up nerds

But honestly, either can probably work, but if she is voiced, I'm still not expecting huge amounts of dialogue.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
There's no reason they can't have well-written dialog, voiced by a great voice actor.

But then Other M happened...... so they have a chance to redeem themselves i guess.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer she talks, as long as she isn't a complete idiot like she was in Other M.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
As per usual with most silent protagonists they should be able to speak but should be written in such a way where they don't have to speak much. I can't imagine anything worse than a Metroid game spent largely listening to audio logs.
Basically this, don't make her speak throughout the whole thing, but if there are scenes where she's interacting with other characters or where she's just expressing something in some kind of monologue, that'd be absolutely fine.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a part of the push to get voice acting in nintendo games. Do not want, in most circumstances anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Non-voiced, but internal dialogue through text through a journal or something. Metroid isn't a series that needs dialogue in the first place and having voiced characters doesn't add anything to the experience.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
She shouldn't speak because Metroid games shouldn't have any other characters to talk to. She should be alone.

Her talking to herself (and the player) would take away from the atmosphere.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
She can be silent or voiced.

Just make sure whatever words you have coming out of her mouth aren't detrimental to her entire character or the reason people like her.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She shouldn't speak because Metroid games shouldn't have any other characters to talk to. She should be alone.

Her talking to herself (and the player) would take away from the atmosphere.

I respect keeping Samus a stoic character but I feel the emphasis on what Metroid "should" be, that it always has to be a game about exploring caves in a semi-linear manner with no one to talk to, is part of why the series struggles to maintain its identity in the modern age.

Status
Not open for further replies.