• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which would you prefer?

• Deus Ex 1 Remake

Votes: 78 16.5%
  • Continuation of Jensens story

Votes: 269 57.0%
  • Neither, I'd prefer a completely new Deus Ex game

Votes: 125 26.5%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finish the current story arc. After that, all bets are off. Mankind Divided was such a rushed, unfinished game, its ending actually made me mad. Finish Jensen's story and then reassess the series' future after that.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He shouldn't have come back in the first place, but I'd prefer they finish his story rather than move on.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I would prefer a new story altogether, but I do want to see Jensen's story wrapped up first. So I picked that.

Deus Ex 1 is my all-time favourite game, and I never want to see it remade, even cosmetically. It's very much a product of its time, and I don't think you can capture that same late-90s atmosphere with any kind of remake. It's best to leave it be.

Oct 28, 2019
The main thing about the original DX that non of the sequels have been able to replicate is the sense of conspiracy grounded in the present time. All the subsequent games have treated the characters and conspiracies of the first game basically as lore, whereas DX felt like the near future but if all the conspiracies of the time were real.

So, I'd like a new DX game that does that. Have it be near future but reference the illuminati, Epstein, sovereign citizens, and other crazy fringe stuff I've never heard of. DX felt like a cyberbunk X-Files, but they lost the X-Files vibe along the way.
This is a great point and sounds like it would make an interesting game.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
People asking for an ending to Jensen's story... what kind of ending can he have?

HR and MD are prequels to DX1. We know where this goes: He fails to stop Bob Page, he fails to stop the illuminati, he fails to stop... well anything. All of this stuff is still around in DX1.

So the ending to Jensen's story is that he's a horrible failure who accomplishes jack shit and dies a nobody.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like the next Deus Ex game to be something substantially different from the last couple of iterations. Keep the same general themes, the idea of very open and player driven world and of course things like a scifi setting but drop everything else. I'd even be fine with something like a much more far future setting for example.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
DX1 doesn't need a remake. Either the ending to Jensen's story or a new game, please.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Why would i want a deus ex remake? I'd much rather have a new deus ex game.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Finish Jensen's story. I thought MD was great but it felt like it told a third of the story it was supposed to.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely wrap up Jensen's story and go full witcher 3. Don't hold back on content like they did with mankind divided.

The next obvious answer is to continue with the remake of the first one.

fluffy pillow

Sep 12, 2018
I'd love for them to finish up Adam's story and then lead into something new, but something new which treats the original Deus Ex like Star Trek 2009 treated the original series: as inspiration and reference point, but not as a canon anchor. I don't want a remake of the original game; I've played that already. A reimagining? Sure.

Oh, and playable women characters, please. Do a Mass Effect.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
There were many cool things hinted at in Mankind Divided. I really want to see what will happen. The quality of the recent two games were excellent. I don't think there is anything to reboot them for.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
For the health of the IP, I'd say completely new everything.

I really like Jensen though, so I'd be okay with more of his story.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Answer my questions with a sequel goddamnit. Don't make me use my imagination!

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
New story > Jensen continuation > Deus Ex 1 remake.

Remasters and remakes are cool and all, but I don't think a remake of the original will end wel.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Hopefully would work out better than the last time they tried that:

Alex-D-female.png

Hehe.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming that nothing is currently in development, it feels like a new game would be too far away to finish Jensen's story.
I don't think Deus Ex should be remade. It's a product of its time, and I doubt that attempts to modernize it would be successful without changing so much that it's not really Deus Ex any more.

A new game from a new team makes the most sense to me, since Eidos Montréal are stuck doing assist work on Marvel games now.
I'd be happy with any of these outcomes, rather than have the series go on hiatus for another decade.

Oh, and playable women characters, please.
deus-ex-invisible-wartrjwg.jpg

(I do agree with you though)

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Continuation or don't even bother.

Finish what you start first.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
I just want a great Deus Ex game - who the protag is doesn't ultimately matter, as long as it's good.

The possibilities of next-gen hold huge potential for a new DE in my view, just make a great, next-gen game with the Deus Ex DNA.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want a FFVII-level Remake of Deus Ex.

THEN we start looking at new stories but with this new updated world.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017

The confused identity of Adam (and general theme of identity), the 'formation' of the illuminati, the amazing Eliza side quest, and, last but not least, the mid credits stinger that was the closest I ever got to throwing something out of shock

So many wonderful storylines that I wish could see a conclusion. Mankind Divided was wonderful.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Hearing that Mankind Divided didn't end well or left threads wide open is why I never bought it in the first place, even having enjoyed Human Revolution a lot.

So if they do announce a new Deus EX and it finishes this trilogy I will 100% go back and get Mankind Divided.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Sequel that wraps up his story that leads into a DX remake.

DX was a game I played like 7-8 years ago when I first got Steam, and it held up phenomenally.

I'm in for it all, even an Invisible War remake.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
I'd like either a new story or the follow up to Mankind Divided.

Don't think the original Deus Ex really needs a remake.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Hearing that Mankind Divided didn't end well or left threads wide open is why I never bought it in the first place, even having enjoyed Human Revolution a lot.
So if they do announce a new Deus EX and it finishes this trilogy I will 100% go back and get Mankind Divided.
Mankind Divided is a great game, even if the ending is a disappointment. You should play it.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I want the game that bridges Jensen and JC Denton's stories together and then goes from there

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Mankind Divided is a great game, even if the ending is a disappointment. You should play it.

I feel like the ending is only disappointing if you were expecting a hard conclusion but coming at the game knowing it is basically a middle entry makes everything "fit" better. It still has wonderful stories and sidequests throughout it, it is just very clearly setting up to a third entry/finale that never came.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm invested in his story now and I'd like to see it finished.
I really dislike it when you invest in a game's story and then it's scrapped in favour of a reboot or "back to roots" stuff as if people who invested in it don't matter.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure it is, but I just can't stand playing games knowing they'll have disappointing endings, more specifically endings that leave too much to a hypothetical sequel.
They always leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth.

There's already too many games coming out than I can play, so I need at least some filters or else my Steam library would be twice as large and I still wouldn't find the time to play it. :/

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I would prefer a new story altogether, but I do want to see Jensen's story wrapped up first. So I picked that.

Deus Ex 1 is my all-time favourite game, and I never want to see it remade, even cosmetically. It's very much a product of its time, and I don't think you can capture that same late-90s atmosphere with any kind of remake. It's best to leave it be.

The only thing I wouldn't mind is a NIghtDive graphical upgrade treatment. Maybe better character models (but deffo keep the voice acting)
People asking for an ending to Jensen's story... what kind of ending can he have?

HR and MD are prequels to DX1. We know where this goes: He fails to stop Bob Page, he fails to stop the illuminati, he fails to stop... well anything. All of this stuff is still around in DX1.

So the ending to Jensen's story is that he's a horrible failure who accomplishes jack shit and dies a nobody.

Well, there's still a lot of cool stuff that can happen as we see the world fall apart and the Illuminati and then MJ12 move in. There's a ton of stuff in the DX Bible that's yet to be pictured in the game.

Plus, Jensen could become the one who handed Bob Page dominance by crushing the Illuminati... somehow.

I dunno, we still need to see where all the mech augs disappear to by the time Deus Ex starts. Maybe Jensen steals a spaceship and takes them all to Alpha Centauri. Who knows?