• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which would you prefer?

• Deus Ex 1 Remake

Votes: 78 16.5%
  • Continuation of Jensens story

Votes: 269 57.0%
  • Neither, I'd prefer a completely new Deus Ex game

Votes: 125 26.5%

• Total voters

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Been wondering which of these I'd want more and I'm having a hard time choosing. The original Deus Ex remains one of my favorite games ever and is the game I've completed the most times out of anything I've ever played. A proper remake on a modern engine with updated gameplay elements would be a dream for me and I'd be there day one. While I played and enjoyed the new games with Jensen, they never did capture the same feeling I had with the original.

The thought of someone doing a RE2 or FF7 Remake style version of the original Deus Ex... Makes my soul shiver. Even a Bluepoint style remaster would be amazing.

So which would you prefer?

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New everything. The Deus Ex universe is complex enough to warrant games that aren't direct sequels or remakes.

Nov 14, 2017
The main thing about the original DX that non of the sequels have been able to replicate is the sense of conspiracy grounded in the present time. All the subsequent games have treated the characters and conspiracies of the first game basically as lore, whereas DX felt like the near future but if all the conspiracies of the time were real.

So, I'd like a new DX game that does that. Have it be near future but reference the illuminati, Epstein, sovereign citizens, and other crazy fringe stuff I've never heard of. DX felt like a cyberbunk X-Files, but they lost the X-Files vibe along the way.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never played the original so wouldn't mind a remake with modern QoL design.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like a continuation of Jensen's story, but I'd also be completely happy with a new protagonist and a new story entirely.

I'm not too hot on the idea of remaking the original - I'll pretty much always prefer an actual new game to a remake - but after the success of high-profile remakes like RE2 and (presumably; I can't see it not doing well) FFVII, I could see the business argument for it.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to know where that clone Jensen stuff was heading.

I will understand them going with a clean slate tho

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to continue with Jensen, considering where it left off. Really dislike it when there is no closure to characters and story in a series.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
I would like to see Jenson's story concluded, but I think you could do it from another point of view. Whether that would be from the view of a more established character like Alex Vega or someone new, I'm open to ideas there.

But ultimately, I just want more Deus Ex in some form.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Jensen story had a big cliffhanger on MD, so i would like a continuation and ending of his story.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Mankind Divided left off in a really really interesting place and I would rather see that story have a conclusion rather than another remake.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Jensen should come back for sure his story is unfinished but a brand new playable charachter with different augs would be amazing

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I think they should go an MGS2 route and have us in a new charecter but Jenson is a side charecter who helps us, and we get to see the conclusion of his story that way we don't have to force a new "reset" or skills for no reason and we can decouple Jensons concluding story while still moving on with a new person.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
DX1 remade would be amazing, but I'd be thrilled with a continuation of Jensen's story.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I think both could be accomplished by doing a refresh of the original (like Deus Ex : Revision on Steam, but also ported to PS, XB, Switch which obviously would take some controller/UI thinking). Real fans of Cyberpunk would be in on it even if it was the original engine/game with prettier dressing over it and some QOL improvements/trophies/etc. I feel that would be most true to the OG without being very expensive to make.

This would mean the budget could be used to do a new release. I think a new approach would be good that gives multiple factions to play through the story in different ways. Basically instead of one 40 hour campaign, have three 12-15 hour campaigns in which you see things from opposing perspectives. It could really be dramatically powerful to flesh out the "bad" guys in a game like this if written well. Jensen could be one of these paths.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I would gladly take the concluding arc to Jensen's story, a loving remake of DX1 or even something completely new.

If held at gunpoint I guess I'd take Jensen's concluding arc over all of those because DX1 will always be there and I hate seeing things I like unfinished.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Torn between Adam Jensen and a new game. Wouldn't mind if they let you create yourself and Jensen is part of the story. Wouldn't mind a continuation of Adam's story. As long as we get a sequel and it doesn't end dumb and suddenly. Where despite how great the game is, you feel you've been shortchanged on a decent ending.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Adam Jensen is finally getting to be interesting, it would be a shame to end there. Even if the main plot of MD was lacking, the implications for a third game were very alluring.

The third game in the Jensen Saga is 100% gonna lead into Deus Ex 1, so I think that needs to happen.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
For me Deus Ex is Adam Jensen. We need part 2 of Mankind Divided and then move on to his next adventure. It will be tragic if Deus Ex doesn't come back.

Oct 31, 2017
Never played the original so wouldn't mind a remake with modern QoL design.
Honestly there's nothing about the original that makes it dated in term of QoL.
The remake would need just new assets/greater production value and then it could stick to the original almost 1:1 (in terms of level design/quests/skill system, etc) and still work more or less flawlessly.

P.S. To stick with the original question, personally I'd be for a new story/character.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, but I find them unplayable atm due to the unfinished story. I'd like to wrap that story up please.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't be cool at all to finish Mankind Divided like that and not do a sequel.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely time for someone new. They turned Adam Jensen into such a miserable prick anyway. Every conversation ended with this supposedly shady ruthless cyborg infiltrator taking the moral high ground and giving every single person he meets a speech about ethics. It was obnoxious, I really soured on him with Mankind Divided. If he shows up in the next game I hope it's as an NPC and I get the choice to punch him in the face.

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
Loved HR and MD! Starving for some more Deus Ex, and woudn't mind if they continued down the clone thread.
Someone post the clone-related screenshots! CHOO CHOO

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Hmm. Random thought, as a halfway compromise to complete Jensen's arc, but also start with a new one for a fresh storyline, how about getting an 8-10 episode animated series for Netflix/etc to flesh it out? I'm visualizing a killer art style, good storytelling, and a cool way to bring non gamers into the DX universe. In fact, maybe retell the story from HR and MD in seasons one and two (obviously with greater detail and not just a 1:1 copy paste) and finish Jensen in 3.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a remake of the original would never get everything right. They should leave that game alone, it's almost perfect as is.

I hope they just go in a new direction. Jensen is fine, but the games didn't sell incredibly. I'd like to see the story completed but I'd rather see Deus Ex be super successful.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I want to see Jensens story concluded. After the way Mankind Divided went, they can't just go and make something brand new without wrapping up everything else.

As for a modern remake of one, I don't think a modern remake would be able to capture it in quite the same way.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I hated Jensen in HR; MD turned me around on him, since they dropped the lovesick puppy story and actual had Jensen doing proper DX stuff.

I don't trust Squeeenix not to "streamline" any remake of the original, so I'd rather they stay away from that.