• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
dark souls has sword and shield you can use it in the game, bloodborne doesn't have shields (well, they have 2 shield but they are jokes) so you only have to use guns and swords.

however after watching an anime called shield hero, where the hero can only use a shield

2019.01.11-06.48-boundingintocomics-5c38e4f3029c5.png

i was thinking, maybe fromoftware or any other talented dev could make soul game that only uses a shield to beat the game, how they can make this game interesting? will it works in a soul game (or in any other genre?)

one idea is use a shield to parry the attack, and use traps with the environment, or counter attack with some kind of shields with magic ability, i am sure there should be other ideas.

edit:
this is another idea i liked from DS2
the mirror shield
maybe you can trap other monster or enslave them, then unleash them to fight for you using the mirror

A43v9aOh.jpg

Last edited:

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the Giant Door already exists in DS3. Aside from that item, has anyone done a shield only run?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
since shields are my favorite thing in the souls games (and one of the reasons I actually enjoyed Lords of the Fallen, great clashing feeling when you blocked), yes I would

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean I wouldn't play current Souls games with only shields(I don't use shields at all) but assuming this hypothetical new game was designed around using nothing but shields, sure.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, when you have shield only...it kinda becomes weapon, making the premise pointless? ;P

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reaaaaaaly scraping the bottom of the barrel for topics arent we.

Conversation about the weather would be more interesting at this point.

Bit warm today for this time of the year.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah actually, especially if it was designed around it very thoroughly.

I really liked using shields in Dark Souls. The stamina management as you slowly take down an enemy one-on-one is awesome.

At some point I did abandon them for rolling but that was more because that option was pretty much always better. In this hypothetical scenario I'd appreciate them a lot more.

Also I saw like 4-5 episodes of Shield Hero and it's really good! Stopped around the end of the big fight in the arena cause I wanted to wait for it to finish first. Really do like how creative the show has to be with fights and such to accommodate for the 'only shield' criteria.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls didn't click with me until I got a bit of advice to pursue a shield'n'spear, hide'n'poke combo, and it helped immensely with my usual playstyle. I haven't yet delved into the Dark line, but I'm hoping there's something that fits that methodical approach.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say give me a semi open-world Shield Hero RPG by Capcom or From and I'll play the hell out of it, if it's Soulslike I take it too!

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I've seen people do a strength build in Souls and use dual greatshields. It was odd, but remarkably effective.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
In real life you can bash people's skull with a shield so why not in a game?

OP
OP
L.O.R.D

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, shields are boring compared to almost any other playstyle in From's games. Making a game solely about them, I just don't see it working.

I would love to see what they'd cook up with a magic-only mandate, though.

OP
OP
L.O.R.D

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
This is another idea i liked from DS2
the mirror shield
maybe you can trap other monster or enslave them, then unleash them to fight for you using the mirror

A43v9aOh.jpg

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
What's with all of the weird souls games threads today lol?

No. I don't even use shields in Dark Souls