• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you play a prequel?

• Yes, that sounds really interesting

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Sure, but I just want a new game. Story is secondary to me.

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • No, I want a sequel.

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
GloomyTartImago-size_restricted.gif

It seems like quite a bit happened before the first game, and that the Maverick uprising was a problem long before Sigma turned and brought them under his wing.

Sigma was the commander of the hunters for some time, even after his fight with Zero.

X was also a hunter during this time, and it's implied that there are other capable hunters as well (such as Gamma, referenced by name as having fallen in a fight with Zero).

I think this would be way more interesting than any sequel, considering they likely won't ever touch the Elf Wars. You could swing it a number of ways, with X as the sole player character, a separate game/"campaign" for Zero after he turned good, or a new playable character, maybe even Sigma himself (who I Imagine would play very similar to Zero, as his original incarnation was a swordsman).

What do you think? Could it work? Would you be interested in it?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see what happened that required Light to build X and do something with the original Mega Man. Did he kill Wily? Did his programming strong-arm him into it and that's why Light's next robot had free will but also morality?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lets put it this way. I would play anything mega man X related, especially a prequel because it means no axel who is a terrible character. X series is incredible and needs to be pulled out of hibernation.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. It's probably more interesting than continuing to take the timeline forward further past X5, the original intended ending of Zero.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Everything that looks like a classic 2D Mega Man game is on my target, no matter the story or the aesthetic (and yeah... I finished Mighty No. 9, I still think it was a scam as a project, but as a game is okay... I mean, is better than MMX7 lol).

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've moved on from really wanting any new X game. I can just love X1 for the rest of days. A prequel would be cool, but I doubt it would be very good.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would absolutely play the crap out of this, especially if it maintained the look and feel of the SNES MMX games.

That being said, I dunno what you'd call this given "Mega Man Zero" is already taken by an entire subseries.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
A prequel would make me hope villain characters are playable in some capacity, especially Sigma himself. I'm still expecting a new X project and I'd be totally fine with this

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Not really. If they're going to do a prequel, the only story I'd want to see is what transpired between the classic and X eras, otherwise it's sequel all the way.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, why not I guess? Prequels are pretty uninteresting to me because you already know how things are going to turn out (and they already had flashbacks and backstory for the principle characters), but storytelling was never the X games' strong suit anyway.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I really want them to push the timeline forward, past ZX.

But this would be cool, too. I would take it.

I can't imagine you playing X during this time though. He is supposed to be really weak before the events of X1. I feel like you'd have to be Zero, right? It'd be the story of how Zero came to be a famed hunter, maybe.