• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Late last year Yoshi-P had this to say in regards to a Single-Player spin off.

www.pcgamesn.com

A Final Fantasy XIV single-player spin-off would be “more than welcome”, Square Enix says

Would you play a single-player spin-off set in the world of Final Fantasy XIV?

"At the moment the dev team doesn't have enough time to create any spin-offs or anything, so as long as someone [else] wants to take this challenge, we would more than welcome them to do that," Yoshida says. "As long as some other teams in Square Enix, or anyone, wants to do it, then the FF14 dev team would not say no. The current FF14 side just [has] too much happening right now – the major new expansion, it's already our limit.

"If [I told the developers in] Japan, the team would say to [me], 'Are you insane? Are you crazy?' Another way to do it is to extend the expansion for another two years, so release it in four years, so we can have more time … but if someone can take this then they're more than welcome."

Personally I would love a SP Spin-Off that could explore past events.

I'd love a game set during the 6th Umbral Age covering the War of the Magi.

Or potentially a game going over the whole story of The Warriors of Darkness.

Or even further back with the Allagan Empire at the height of their Empire.

If there was ever a spin-off I doubt it would be something set around the time of the events of the main game.

So what would you want to see if they did do a SP spin-off.

Please tag spoilers if you reference them.

(Please don't simply say a spin-off that is just the MMO but as SP)

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
You could do a character action/musou game during War of the Magi. That would be pretty tight.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Shadowbringers can be mostly played solo so it's not hard to see.
After the great story we got in Shadowbringers, I'd let them do anything they want to do.
Actually, I've been wanting to see more about the War of the Magi for a long time now.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'd kind of like a single-player rendition of the good parts of 1.0. There was stuff worth saving there.

I also definitely agree about the 6th Umbral Age.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
An entirely new single-player game set on Eorzea? Sure.

A single-player version of FFXIV, gameplay and all? No thank you. I really don't like MMO gameplay to begin with and I only tolerate it in XIV because the game is online.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
You Need a Budget: Tataru Edition
aka:
That dumbass prodigy used the Scions funds for WHAT?!

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know, thinking about it they could technically do another remake of FF Tactics and just change all of the references per the Ivalice Raids. (And also change some story details)

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Adapt 1.x to single player 1st to preserve its story moments for posterity, and consider a single-player version of XI too before doing so to XIV.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Set In Allagan Empire would be neat...I didn't pay too much attention but wasn't most of their story told through the crystal tower raid already?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You know, thinking about it they could technically do a remake of FF Tactics and just change all of the references per the Ivalice Raids.

I love FFT, but the ways that XIV adapted that story were kind of weird and only worked as a means of crowbarring the Tactics story into another universe entirely. It was...inconsistent.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Set In Allagan Empire would be neat...I didn't pay too much attention but wasn't most of their story told through the crystal tower raid already?

Sort of. Though the Empire lasted for thousands of years so there is always potential for an original story not based on any specific stuff they talked about in the crystal tower.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
A rhythm game. Preferably one where the story involves all of the primals getting together to form a rock band. But I'll take anything that lets me listen to the godlike ost.

Alternatively, Recettetear, but with Tataru as the protagonist.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A Tactics style game set during the War of the Magi is always the one I think of.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
The mentions of revisiting an older Umbral age are good.

If they want to follow an existing character, Estinien, Yuguri, Gosetsu or
Gaius post-ARR
are options I wouldn't mind seeing.

If they want to go with a new character that could come into contact with various existing characters but is brand new, my thought would be something like a Pirate/Sky Pirate. Would allow for traversal as well as maybe allowing for introductions to new areas not-yet-seen (Thavnir, Meracydia)

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Always felt that SP-only FFXIV would have been interesting, but I'd like a game like that to just be 1.0 and possibly some events between it and ARR or just be its own spinoff of some sort.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
There's so much amazing backstory in FF14 that would make for great settings. Hell, even go back as far as the Allagan Empire if you really want to go far out that frees them up a bit from continuity issues. The Crystal Tower was a pretty high level arch that isn't too restrictive I guess.

Make the game FF12 style with an updated and expanded Gambit system and obvious QoL and graphic improvements.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The mentions of revisiting an older Umbral age are good.

If they want to follow an existing character, Estinien, Yuguri, Gosetsu or
Gaius post-ARR
are options I wouldn't mind seeing.

If they want to go with a new character that could come into contact with various existing characters but is brand new, my thought would be something like a Pirate/Sky Pirate. Would allow for traversal as well as maybe allowing for introductions to new areas not-yet-seen (Thavnir, Meracydia)

Regarding spoiler:

If that would mean we would get to hear more of Michael McElhatton as Gaius I wouldn't complain. Playing him in a sort of action game fighting Ascians would be amazing.

That Pirate idea could be cool as well.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stardew Valley

with catgirls

You can set it in Kholusia since they're now focusing on getting agriculture back up and running.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Good idea, since I'll never have time for sn MMO. But wouldn't it make more sense to start with a singleplayer game inspired from FFXI story parts?

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Good idea, since I'll never have time for sn MMO. But wouldn't it make more sense to start with a singleplayer game inspired from FFXI story parts?

Eh. Not really. Plus Square won't make any Spin-off redoing stuff from the MMOs (doubly those that are still active). It would be a new story.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I mean, just give me FFXIV with a party of the NPC characters hanging around from start to finish, and trim away all the really bland optional/side quests that boil down to "walk here" or "kill X things", and you'd have a still lengthy and awesome FF game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think so. FFXIV is rampantly more popular than XI was, and its story and setting are way more relevant in the current day than Vana'diel. It would be kind of odd to go back to Vana'diel when most people are so invested in Hydaelyn and Norvrandt right now.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I would buy any FFXIV spin-off game day 1, tbh

If I could have it be anything, I'd actually have it not be on the Source, I'd prefer it be on one of the 12 shards we haven't been to, if Yoshi-P isn't intending to use them in XIV proper. Even more preferably one of the 5 non-visited shards that haven't been rejoined, since we kinda know how the others end already, although seeing the 13th in particular would still be pretty cool

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Real answer: You play as the First's WoLs. The fully story and rise of Ardbert and his buddies.

Mainly because it gives us a full game voiced by Joe Dempsie (Gendry).

And OBVIOUSLY written by Natsuko Ishikawa because literally who else would you ever pick?

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I would play even if it was the same game, but with an offline mode where you recruit NPCs.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Real answer: You play as the First's WoLs. The fully story and rise of Ardbert and his buddies.

Mainly because it gives us a full game voiced by Joe Dempsie (Gendry).

And OBVIOUSLY written by Natsuko Ishikawa because literally who else would you ever pick?

I think the coolest thing it could do is show us the entirety of Norvrandt before The Flood. Also it would be all very tragic since we know how their story ends.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Either 1.0 redux, or an anthology of post-Calamity adventures prior to ARR, detailing Garlemalds second incursion into Eorzea and the establishment of the newer castra.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Either 1.0 redux, or an anthology of post-Calamity adventures prior to ARR, detailing Garlemalds second incursion into Eorzea and the establishment of the newer castra.

I think one thing that is hard to break away from is a spin-off that wouldn't be a traditional RPG. They could really do some cool things that aren't RPGs. Doing an anthology like you said would be really cool to explore a lot of stories that might not warrant a full game.

Lvng

Nov 1, 2017
I'd love for a VR-capable game set in FFXIV, and it would make sense for it to be a spin-off since most of the battles in the MMO would be a nightmare in VR.

There's enough great music from the games to make for a great rhythm game. The mechanics could be varied in each region.

Edit: Wow I was already beating on the rhythm game front. The demand is there. Make it happen, SE!

Oct 25, 2017
I'd play a streamlined unpadded version of ARR + HW as a single player game.
HW is up there with the most incredible story that Final Fantasy has ever told.

The biggest issue with FFXIV for me has always been the fact that it has to make a few compromises because it's an MMO. Like for example how your character can never do more in cutscenes than draw their weapon and make a facial expression because the game has to consider the fact that you could be any class. Or how the story can't be told cleanly because it has to be released in small content updates over time.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i hate grinding so of course i would like to play it as a single player, i'll save countless of hours to play other games.