• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well would you?

• Never

Votes: 392 55.5%
  • Unlikely but I won't rule it out.

Votes: 227 32.2%
  • I'm fine picking one up alone

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • I'll pick one up if I'm with someone else.

Votes: 17 2.4%

• Total voters

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
A short while ago, I just passed by one.

Most likely a woman but with the weather and it being night time I might have been wrong. Regardless, I don't like the idea of pick up hitchhikers unless I'm driving with another passenger or the hiker is clearly a teenager or younger.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Inappropriate sexist commentary
Only if she looks slutty enough.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've picked up two on long distance drives. One man, one woman. I''m still alive and I didn't go through a harrowing ordeal. Though living through a days-long attack from a conniving hitcher on the road in a desolate area does sound like it would have strengthened me.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
it's more dangerous to be a hitchiker rather than picking up one

either way, fuck that

Jan 11, 2019
I've hitchhiked all over the world. In the rural and mountainous parts of my country I often rely on it. In New Zealand and most Scandinavian countries I've visited I'm usually also picked up in a matter of minutes.

I've been picked up by so many people including a family with kids or a shirtless farmer dude. An elderly person in New Zealand actually told me how it was such a shame that so few young people hitchhike these days. I have so many wonderful hitchiking memories and It's actually my preferred way of travelling in certain countries. In others, not so much. I don't think hitchhiking in Australia is a wonderful idea, or so I've heard...

So in short: Yes. Absolutely. But it seems different countries have widely different stances on this subject.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Absolutely not. Specially if I'm alone in my car. First of all I don't trust strangers and I like my safety, and second I don't want to get a false accusation of anything and have to prove my innocence.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Not where I live. Maybe somewhere else, but I've never seen somebody hitch hiking in my town and thought "there's a person I'd like to spend some time with right now"

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been a hitchhiker a few times so I probably should repay the favor someday. I don't have a car though so...

Also hate to say it but I most likely wouldn't pick up a dude. Not because I'm trying to get some from the hitchhiker girl, just ive gotta assume (with no statistical evidence that I have ever researched) that men would be more likely to murder me.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Depends on who it is.

When I was a kid we went on a trip to rural Pennsylvania and our car broke down in the middle of nowhere (before cell-phones). A nice family picked us up and drove us to the nearest gas station.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
It would have to be in the middle of no where.

Also guns are banned in Australia and pretty hard to get.

I wouldn't in the USA. Too dangerous of a country to take that risk.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Extremely unlikely, unless it is something like a young child in distress (and still wouldn't drive anywhere, I'd just take them in, and call the police)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think I would depending on circumstance. I rarely see one and it's always been at motorway junctions, so I expect truckers are more likely to pick them up since they'll be going further. (UK)

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I gave a lift to a group of young lads who were trying to get home from a party that was happening on my street. Their taxi never showed up so they asked me to take them home as I was getting into my car. I was heading that way anyway so I accepted, even got ÂŁ10 out of it lol.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. You want to leave them out on the hihghway to be picked up by a common murderer?

Besides, they stop screaming eventually when they realize they can't climb out of the well - and that's usually about when their skin starts to get loose.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I've done it a few times (and hitched a few myself)

I'm pretty good at picking good ones, only once it was kind of awkward because I didn't have any money even though the guy kept insisting I did and I should help him

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Never. Unless someone is really in distress / trouble.
I also see nothing romantic in the idea of going on trip/ vacation without money and waiting for a car the entire day. Always seemed like such a stupid white privileged idea. Just work for a bit of money and then go on vacation a bit more comfortably.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
No picking up hitchhikers, however if someone is having a legit car problem, on a couple of occasions, I've used my AAA membership to get them assistance (One flat tire service (bad spare), one battery service).

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If its super cold (I'm talking -20C), and I see that the person in real danger.,

Otherwise nope. not worth the risk.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
I have in the past but you rarely see them anymore (at least where I live). Of course, most of the time it used to be people who had a flat or ran out of gas and needed a ride to the nearest service station. These days everyone has a mobile phone so they can just call for service instead of sticking their thumb out.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never. I've heard enough from my favorite murder podcast. If it looks distressing, I'll call help for them while still on the road.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Not likely but if they were in distress and somehow didn't have a cell phone I'd let them use it to cal for assistance

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've picked up a dog that was running around scared in the road, does that count?