• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you pay $600 for Next-Gen at launch?

• Yes

Votes: 1,162 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 2,359 67.0%

• Total voters

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I'm actually surprised of the poll results. I am curious though how many folks that said no would still end up giving in for a $600 PS5 by the time launch comes.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
The price is important of course, but for me it's the lack of anything that I really want to play at launch that is the bigger factor in waiting. Spiderman is about the only game I want to play out of all the launch titles that we know about so far.

It looks like being a poor first year again, but I think once the next gen get's going it will be brilliant.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
I would. No way both consoles are less than $499 with those specs.

My guess is they are waiting because neither have the balls to announce $599 first. If it was $399 or $499 I think we would know by now.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised of the poll results. I am curious though how many folks that said no would still end up giving in for a $600 PS5 by the time launch comes.
With at the current (Canadian) exchange rate with 13% tax here in Ontario, that's close to $900. That's $900 with zero games. Backward compatibility is nice and all, but I'm not spending $900 to play PS4 games.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
For what both Sony and MS have shown so far. Absolutely 0 chance I would spend more than 399 for either console. Even that is a stretch at this point.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
It's a shame Sony doesn't have a Driveclub or Gran Turismo ready to go and MS are missing a Forza title straight out of the blocks. Racing games are usually good for selling new systems.

(edit - I remember Motorstorm being a great showcase for the PS3 when it launched.)

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I would only pay $600 for a PS4 if it had full disc based PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 backward compatibility and if it was compatible with digital PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP and Vita games from the PSN.

I'd certainly pay it if this was included, even if it were just the consoles and no handhelds. I'm be 50/50 today without those features though.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
They're worth $599 or more because of the specs but I don't think I'd want to buy a console for that much. At that point I'd rather spent a few hundred more and get back into PC gaming.

$499 is my limit for launch.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
On the one hand with the technology going into these boxes that sort of price seems possible.
On the other hand I almost can't believe either of them would go for that knowing what happened with the PS3. I'm still thinking that $499 is the more likely scenario.

How this surprising. The reaction to the PS3 should tell you everything you need to know about what people think about that price point.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
If that equals to 600€ I guess I will pass. I can play the big games of this year on my ps4 pro.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Not a money issue but a value issue at 600 for me.

I'm struggling to find a reason to drop 500 on a PS5 this fall considering all they have is spiderman dlc.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I assuming that the $600 is in USD. That would probably translate to $800 CAD. No way I am paying that much for a video game console.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
lol comparing the utility of a phone to a gaming console

Already addressed before, but game consoles are more than just gaming machines for many, they have tons of utility and for many are home media devices for media sharing, streaming, physical media players, communication, and other app functionality.

If we are talking about utility in a phone, how much utility is actually required for a ridiculous price and for a person who feels that they have to purchase a new phone every other year when a console typically lasts around a decade of use? Also assumption that folks fully utilize the phone capabilities. Heck my own father literally buys the new best phone every year and he pretty much only makes phone calls and facebook.

"lol comparing the utility". Of course, why not, YOU don't know the individual persons utility usage, heck for me I get far more use and utility out of my consoles than my phone which I use as basically a texting/messaging machine, rarely call a person, maybe check instagram? Heck if want to really compare just gaming, PC users gladly spend just as much or more every two-three years to be able to run the newer released titles. $600 is expensive, but in the grand scheme if its gonna get used as much as my other game consoles... sure why not?

Again consoles are not just vidya game machines anymore

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Yes for the XSX since I'm planning on getting it for BC games at first. Hell no on the PS5, you never buy the first version of a Sony console. It'll get better revisions/cheaper prices after a few years.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Already addressed before, but game consoles are more than just gaming machines for many, they have tons of utility and for many are home media devices for media sharing, streaming, physical media players, communication, and other app functionality.

If we are talking about utility in a phone, how much utility is actually required for a ridiculous price and for a person who feels that they have to purchase a new phone every other year when a console typically lasts around a decade of use? Also assumption that folks fully utilize the phone capabilities. Heck my own father literally buys the new best phone every year and he pretty much only makes phone calls and facebook.

"lol comparing the utility". Of course, why not, YOU don't know the individual persons utility usage, heck for me I get far more use and utility out of my consoles than my phone which I use as basically a texting/messaging machine, rarely call a person, maybe check instagram? Heck if want to really compare just gaming, PC users gladly spend just as much or more every two-three years to be able to run the newer released titles. $600 is expensive, but in the grand scheme if its gonna get used as much as my other game consoles... sure why not?

Again consoles are not just vidya game machines anymore

Do you put your console in your pocket? i guess not. and for many people consoles are surely just for games and for nothing else.

phones are also prestige objects nowadays but they still have more utility than a console. and this "600 bucks and it lasts you a long time" is also obsolete as there will be surely a Pro console 3 or 4 years from now

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yes. It's going to be another seven-year generation. A couple hundred extra at the beginning makes practically no difference.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the camp that I think these machines are worth $600 given the hardware, but if they launch at that price I'll be waiting likely until a slim revision and price drop to $399 which could be 2 years or so.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's more than half of what I make every month, so there's no way I'd pay that much, even more when you consider you almost instantly need to get more disk space.

Hooker

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised at the poll results. Great for me, less stress at launch day trying to pick up a console :).

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
as i´ve said, there will be a pro console coming, these consoles won´t last 7 years.

if you want the best possible experience you will pay the same amount again in a few years.

Pro consoles don't stop your old console from working? It had zero effect on this past gen, there was no exclusivity or loss for not upgrading

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I really want a series x, but $700 CAD all in (incl taxes) is my limit. I think that is manageable because I don't need to buy controllers (thanks to my One X) and I don't need to buy games (thanks to GP ultimate until 2022). And I'm hoping ebgames will do some kind of trade up with my One X.

But TBH, if it goes over those kind of numbers, I'd probably pass and just do a cheaper pc upgrade instead once Ryzen 4000 comes out.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
as i´ve said, there will be a pro console coming, these consoles won´t last 7 years.

if you want the best possible experience you will pay the same amount again in a few years.

I really don't think there will be pro consoles. Those only came out this gen because of 4K and VR, and in this new gen MS is supposedly already dropping two differently powered systems. If anything, the Series X can be considered the pro.

Phil Spencer even said they won't do a mid-gen refresh unless there's suddenly a new technology that they see an opportunity in implementing (like 4K).

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I am getting half or so paid for my birthday this year. If I have to put up the other half (lets say £250) I'd have to really consider it if i'm honest.

If I had to pay for the whole thing myself then not a chance.

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
My plan was (is) to buy the PS5 this year, a new TV the next (probably LG CX or BX, if BX is gonna be a thing?).

If the PS5 is goin to be 600, I will probably turn my plans around (...and have a hard time not to buy the PS5 next year for ...still 600, lol).

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I would for sure pay If I didn't have a high-end PC. I'm currently waiting on that hot 3080ti face melting action so 600 bones is a bargain given the tech inside.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Considering the cost of flagship phones these days and the great specs of the new machines, $600 isn't that bad for what you get. I just don't want to pay that much for a console with one controller.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Big yes , video games are still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment . Plus who doesn't love fancy new electronics

Nov 22, 2017
Only if Demon Soul's a launch title.
Otherwise, 499€, is the maximum I am willing to pay. Knowing that most launch models always end up being faulty...
My guess is I ´le be going the 3080 route..

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Not interested.

This is not 2013, when we were starving for new hardware after an unusually long 360/PS3 gen. I grabbed an XB1 on launch day back then. This time around, we had mid-gen refreshes, and I'm quite happy with mine.

Add to that the fact that there is very little compelling software on either platform in the launch window, and I just don't see a reason to jump on launch day if it's going to be $600.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
I said YES.

But 600 is a bit much, will only bite the bullet if there is a good upgrade promo to get rid of my PSPro.

Otherwise, there is not really a rush. I want to play Spiderman, but it's not a full fledged game, demon's souls had no release date... At least I have the last two PS4 exclusives waiting to be played with a hypothetical PS5 patch

yeahwrite

Apr 17, 2020
I didn't grab a PS4 until the white one packaged with Destiny came out a year later. Didn't feel like I missed much waiting that long. Aside from Spider-Man, there's nothing that has made me feel like I need to drop that kind of money on a new console yet.

My gaming PC is getting pretty old. I feel like it might be better to upgrade some parts there instead.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Tbh this is gonna suck in LATAM. I figure they're gonna sell them at 800 or 850...add VAT and maybe building a new PC might be cheaper depending on your country.