• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you pay $600 for Next-Gen at launch?

• Yes

Votes: 1,162 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 2,359 67.0%

• Total voters

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
At the moment no. Both consoles still need to sell me on the software in order to spend that much. Show me some games that justify the purchase and I might.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly pay up to $1000 for each, if they would be over $1000 I would probably only get one at launch but as long as theyre under $1000 i'll get both

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't, but then again I have a PC and don't value console gaming that much
The original PS3 was definitely worth its asking price though, and if a modern console came close to its feature set, I would seriously consider it.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Hell no

I waited like what 4-5 years for the PS3 to go down , I can wait again - plenty of games to play this gen and yesteryear gens

PIkkonX

Oct 27, 2017
For sure. I did it with my PS3, which still works perfectly, and I have no problems with that price here considering the specs.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I would accept this price, but I would not purchase it myself. Indeed, I may not even purchase them at $500, for that matter. I can spend hours at a time playing games, but in between those sessions weeks can pass. Even if the only ongoing cost is Game Pass, it's just an unclear proposition.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
LOL.. I live in a small country in Europe.. the Xbox One.. the Xbox 360.. the PS4.. the PS3.. the PS2.. the PS1.. all cost more than $600 here at launch..

I paid almost exactly $600 for my PS4 at launch..

but that is when you convert my currency to US dollars..

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think 499 is my limit, but it also depends how the launch games entice me and honestly I have not seen enough yet.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
I'd pay a lot more for a high end launch special edition - say an Xbox made out of the same magnesium (?) alloy that Microsofts Surface products are made from. I'm kind of over plasticky products.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
$600 is a wait a year for a price drop, sale, bundle, or black friday deal type price for me. $500 is already the upper limit I'm comfortable paying for a dedicated gaming box. I think for many people a $600 console gets people considering a gaming PC for a few hundred dollars more, won't be as capable, but would be leaps and bounds more versatile. Basically $600 consoles in todays gaming climate, makes the idea of a buying, or building, a more expensive gaming PC more appealing imo.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crazy that on a gaming enthusiast forum nearly 70% of people wont pay 600 for a day 1 console. That tells you what a huge mistake it would be for either of them to go that high, during a pandemic where the economy is tanking no less.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, if I had the money. If I have a good income giving me enough to spend on entertainment when it launches, I would prioritize a new TV though, then new joycons. My TV has a dark spot, and likes to reboot itself, and I got the drift problem with my joycons.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Yeah, I'd pay $599 + tax for the PS5. I'm too excited about it not to.

I'd wait on Series X at that price though. I'm happy with my One X and Game Pass for now.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Not a snowball's chance in hell.

There's no way I can afford it and I'd rather put that money towards more useful things.

Like trying to survive.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no.
I would theoretically, if the games available at launch were sufficiently convincing.
But they are not. The PS5 has one launch game I'm interested in and which adds value to the console.
The XSX has none, since I can play all XGS games on PC. With Halo delayed it'd have none regardless.
I wouldn't buy either at launch whether they're $600 or $400.

I think there's a pretty significant chance that they actually will be $600. That hardware is serious.
They'll both have lower end models that'll be some amount less.

Last edited:

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I am ready to pay up to £600 for ps5. It is still much cheaper than the totally new pc I would need to run next gen games nicely.

To me, buying at launch means I will get maximum "value" from the ps5, as I will be able to use it for the longest time. (albeit I plan on getting whatever pro version they chuck or in a few years).

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be more likely to put that money into my PC, where I assume most of the Xbox exclusives are going anyways. That would hold me over until PS5 drops in price, probably.

I love buying hardware at launch, but it's almost always better to wait. Anything above $400 is getting the back burner for awhile.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
Yes, cause i can baby. PS5 is day one period, i don't give a damn how much it cost and the series x imma get later only to play 4K OG and 360 games tbh.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So in reality, it's 2999 x 0,8. Which is $364. Still higher, but not $475.

Maybe.. I think it is strange to list prices without vat.. by law we can't give prices to end customers without vat here. We MUST inform the full price, but if you are selling to another company/firm you can give a price without vat..

it´s such a strange thing to see prices without VAT discussed like this.

NCartwright15

Dec 5, 2017
No way. I am Canadian, so with tax, it would be a little over $900. I am not paying $900 for a system i use just for exclusives.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
$599 is the kiss of death for consoles. If they price them as such expect to see plentiful supply on store shelves this fall (beside empty Switch shelves).

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe.. I think it is strange to list prices without vat.. by law we can't give prices to end customers without vat here. We MUST inform the full price, but if you are selling to another company/firm you can give a price without vat..

it´s such a strange thing to see prices without VAT discussed like this.

Yeah I know, but what I'm saying is that prices mentioned for US are always without the tax. US sales tax is obviously lower than 25%. New York is like ~6 or something?

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly. It's a good deal considering the hardware included. Non-turbo 3700X, 10+TF Ray Tracing capable GPU, 16GB GDDR6, Gen3/4 NVME SSD, controller included, etc.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but if I decide to buy both, the Series S is going to look a lot more appealing as my second system.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I've just spent nearly £600 on a phone. So yes, be silly of me to say I wouldn't spend the same on a games console.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
LOL.. I live in a small country in Europe.. the Xbox One.. the Xbox 360.. the PS4.. the PS3.. the PS2.. the PS1.. all cost more than $600 here at launch..

I paid almost exactly $600 for my PS4 at launch..

but that is when you convert my currency to US dollars..
Try to imagine what a $600 console would cost in your country then and realise that this is something you don't want :'(