• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you pay $600 for Next-Gen at launch?

• Yes

Votes: 1,162 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 2,359 67.0%

• Total voters

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I was all in at any cost until we started seeing the games. Content is king and I don't see a whole lot of compelling "next gen" content to warrant the high price tag. Still waiting to see something with a "next gen feel" to it. Ratchet & Clank, Horizon Forbidden West and Kena all look like solid titles but still aren't really blowing me away and nothing shown on the XSX has impressed me in the slightest. $500 might be my limit and even that is pushing it with the lack of next gen content.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Have the money, but I'm absolutely not buying a new console for $600 unless it is loaded with games that I can't play anywhere else. Neither the PS5 nor the XSX seem to check that box.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Despite having the money to get both if they were $600, none of the games have sold me on that kind of price. So if it is indeed $600, it's a hard pass from me

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
No.

Neither manufacturer has a launch lineup that would make me consider spending that much.

As a matter of fact, I'm already thinking $500 would be too much for what both are offering right now...

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
for a ps5, yes. but i have saved up 900 bucks for a next-gen system + games (started saving 2 years ago), so i dont really care if this thing is 500 or 600 bucks.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to for my current job. However for these, if I wasn't? Absolutely not. Not even close to enough needed or known to get me to buy day one at that cost.

Realmatic1

Oct 27, 2017
Lol spending 600 beans for a console in this economy, nope not happening.

the question isn't whether I can afford it, I'd feel terrible knowing I'm blowing 600 bucks on my favorite hobby while others have lost their jobs and or struggling to pay rents and utilities.

even if the economy was well, I can't justify spending so much on a console. With games and other accessories you're going to be dropping 1k.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
my max is $500. not even fully comfortable spending that much knowing that ill just have to spend again on the inevitable "pro plus maxXx" version in a few years.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
With no games or good pack in stuff, definitely not. I want a PS5 to play Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU2 (I sold my PS4 a while back) but not enough to spend €600+ on the base console alone. €500 and I'm in.

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's what I budgeted for when I saw the specs on these things. If it comes in cheaper, the spillover will go towards accessories like storage. If it's much cheaper like some people here seem to think, it'll go towards games I guess.

FreshToucan

Feb 11, 2020
Canada
600 usd for a console is way too much money when you know they're gonna make a "pro" version 3 years after launch. It's even worse if you buy that "pro" version afterwards. You're getting close to PC money territory.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
$500 is my hard limit but realistically that'll still be iffy for me. $450 and I'm in.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
$600 is my absolute ceiling for the high-end versions of either of these systems, and I also think that if they have to be priced that high (even if they're the same across both PS5 and Series X) it's going to negatively effect the dynamics of this whole coming generation.

I wouldn't have considered either at even $500 at any previous point in my life.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
I'm buying a Series X regardless, but if it came in A Robot White edition like the leaked controller I'd be super jazzed.

Mastermind

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I survived the PS3 at $599 as a teenager. I could survive PS5 at $599. I wouldn't like it, but I'd buy it.

less

Oct 25, 2017
No way am I dropping $600 on a new console. It'll be a better value for me to wait until the console has a bigger library and comes down in price. I'll stick with PC gaming until them.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
If the specs are as good as everyone says they are then sure. Sort of glad that Halo Infinite got delayed because I wouldn't wanna shell out for TWO consoles $500+, so it lets me wait on the Series X and I'll pick up a PS5 at launch.

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
Thats would be $900 cnd after tax. As hyped as i am for next gen i just can't see myself spending that much.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, a used 1080ti (11.3 TF) is 3.5 year old card and it's going for over $500 on ebay. For just the GPU.

You're getting a 12TF console with a CPU, SSD, etc etc and people are balking at $600? I mean, it sounds very reasonable tbh.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'd do it if they actually made the consoles worth buying at launch but the exclusive lineups look damn near nonexistent. I don't have to pay any bills and I'm about to start a job that pays over 75k so I don't care about the cost, but they could release these consoles for 100$ and I wouldn't buy them if they didn't release software that I care about and can't get anywhere else.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
Mentally prepared for $600, cautiously hoping for $500, but already have the money saved up for either eventuality.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
If I didn't own a one X, I absolutely would just to move the hell on from this gen and play this falls big games in 4k or a performance mode.

Luckily I don't think it will come to 600

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I mean total for console, a couple games and an extra controller sure, I expect it to be around that.

giphy.gif

"a couple of games and an extra controller"?

an extra Dual Sense will easily cost 80 bucks alone, a couple of games, lets say 3 games cost 180bucks, do you honestly think the console will cost less than 400? not happening

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nope, even $500 for me is pretty pushing it for me based on launch day games I know about so far. Where I'm more likely not getting either one at launch and will wait for more of the games I'm interested in to release.

Not getting a system for just one exclusive game at launch

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on launch window games. Xbox is already a no at any price until Halo comes out, that thing has no games. Spider-Man wouldn't be enough to justify $600 for PS5 for me, there needs to be more.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
As it looks. Niether console would be worth it at launch.

Next year this time should be pretty amazing though.