• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I moved a few months ago and while looking at places I was shown an apartment where someone had recently died. The women showing me the unit mentioned that it had been vacant for months and when I asked why she told me the previous tenant had died in it and that they're legally obligated to disclose that fact for a few years. I asked if they were willing to negotiate rent but apparent the complex was owned by a massive company and rents were determined each day by an algorithm, staff didn't get any say in setting rates and there was no negotiation.

I ended up finding a cheaper place at a complex I liked a lot more, but the fact that unit had stayed vacant for so long seemed really odd to me. It seems like I read very frequently that the number of religious people in the US is declining. Are there really so many superstitious people around that a place where someone died is harder to sell or rent? The tenant died of old age too, I guess I can kind of see being weirded out by living where someone was murdered, but people die at home of natural causes all the time, I don't see what the big deal would be.

And honestly I don't totally get being weirded out if someone was murdered. In college I rented a room from a women for about six months and halfway through the lease she confessed that the previous owner of the house murdered his family and committed suicide in it. I didn't really care. I never picked up on any malicious spirits or evil vibes or anything. I felt a little guilty about it but I couldn't help thinking a little less of her after she made it out to be a big deal. She even told me that sometimes she briefly saw blood on the walls, but it'd be gone the next second, and once her young niece felt hands grabbing at her when she was playing in the front yard. Somehow I'm guessing those things wouldn't have happened if she hadn't been told about the murder.

There's probably a ton of superstitious people living in potentially haunted places without knowing it since new owners or tenants only need to be notified for a few years, unless the law was written with the exact number of years it takes an evil spirit to move on.

What are Era's thoughts? Is living in a murder house asking for trouble? Or just a good excuse to try to haggle a bit?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
This is my dream, often people are worried about ghosts so the price is a bit lower. Getting a nice new condo in a good location where someone died in it would be great.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
A regular death house is fine, people die all the time. Murder house, ehhhh.... there are other houses out there. Not a ghost-fearing man, per se, but it's a bit much knowing someone was murdered in the place I am now relaxing.

Oct 30, 2017
in japan, realtors have to tell you this sort of thing, but it's always done vaguely like "by the way, something happened here. is that a problem" and the answer is usually "no because this will knock a ton of money off the rent"

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
In traditional boomer luck, my mom bought a two-story house with a tree in the front and a big backyard in 2001 that went down from $359k CAD to $259k over two months because an elderly lady died in the house. It's worth likely over $1.05M now.

On those kinds of terms (discounted because old people with money are superstitious), yes.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Where someone died? Sure. Where someone was murdered? Depends. If it was some kind of insane torture house, I would probably give it a pass. My SO would end me if they found out anyway.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Also, with a murder house, all it takes is one asshole to make a podcast about that particular murder and then people are always going to be creeping around your yard trying to sneak a peak of where it all went down. Not chill

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the place now has notoriety and gets weirdos gawking, I would but I would also use that stigma of ghosts or whatever for leverage on rent. I get why people would pass on it if there was no negotiation at all.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Also, with a murder house, all it takes is one asshole to make a podcast about that particular murder and then people are always going to be creeping around your yard trying to sneak a peak of where it all went down. Not chill
thats when you flip it, charge money for tours, sell tshirts

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd live in a house that had a friggin' chainsaw massacre in it if it meant I could actually afford the thing.

Oct 25, 2017
in japan, realtors have to tell you this sort of thing, but it's always done vaguely like "by the way, something happened here. is that a problem" and the answer is usually "no because this will knock a ton of money off the rent"
How much is a ton? Those Japanese ghosts are like extra creepy, I've seen the OG Grudge

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
'this apartment might be haunted by ghosts' is an intriguing method of negotiating down the price of a house

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
You could pretty much guarantee someone has died in every house that's older than about 40 years. I say, if you're not actually having to step over the corpse to get your laundry done, don't sweat it.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends. Dying of old age, heart attack, that stuff is normal. I live in one if we count that.

Murder house / double suicide / etc? Nah fam, no thanks.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect to in a few years. I have an agreement with my family to take over payments on my dad's retirement home when he passes.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I assume someone died at some point in one of my homes or apartments I've lived in over the years.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
Only if it was natural causes or accidents, though the latter one could be a thin veiled murder attempt (enuff american crimi for me).

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Those ghosts better kick in for rent if they're going to be moving things and slamming doors.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Natural causes not even gonna blink. Actually it's likely someone has died in my house at some point, it's really old.

With murder, it might be a sign that the neighbourhood is shitty. At that point I'd want to look into what happened.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
lived in such a place twice, once involuntarily (found out later, gun accident with a child), then voluntarily (elderly lady, natural causes)

i have a few lame "haunted house" stories from the former (minor stuff like doors opening and closing, was probably the A/C or whatever), i was a kinda sorta spooked but figured if there's a malevolent spirit there then so what? what's the worst it can do

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
At least three people died in the house I lived in throughout high school, and at least one of them seemed to be haunting it. They all died from natural causes, though, so it didn't really bother me. I don't think I'd want to live in a house if I was aware that someone had been murdered there, though.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, a relative died in this house I'm in currently (just natural causes), which is where my parent's have lived. So yeah, doesn't bother me at all. It's just a normal cause and majority of houses have had someone die at them at some point (and hopefully just due to natural causes, rather than illness or worse).

That said, I'd definitely err on the side of caution if there was crime reports or murders in the house. Mostly because there could be a history in that area, notably crime rates and stuff. I still remember I was just apartment looking in Pittsburgh and there was in one photo that had a bit of blood splattered against the wall (not like a whole lot, but enough for me to just not want to look at that further). But for natural and arguably deaths that resulted in illness? No issues, honestly.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, although if someone was murdered, and the perpetrator is still at large, or the neighborhood in general is bad, then likely not. People simply "dying" in a home is pretty common and a fact of life.

In "Ozarks" they went one step ahead and bought the house someone is actually currently dying in.

Really enjoyed that show. I also wouldn't hesitate in a situation like that if it meant getting a really good deal, and the person who was living there wasn't completely alone for their final days.

If you say so, Norman....

LOL

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Yes, although if someone was murdered, and the perpetrator is still at large, or the neighborhood in general is bad, then likely not. People simply "dying" in a home is pretty common and a fact of life.

Really enjoyed that show. I also wouldn't hesitate in a situation like that if it meant getting a really good deal, and the person who was living there wasn't completely alone for their final days.

I figure monarchs did it for centuries.