• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you prefer a bit more genre diversity at Playstation Studios?

• Yes

Votes: 882 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 321 26.7%

• Total voters

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Action-adventure is a genre because pure RPG's are basically a thing of the past. You seem awfully defensive this entire thread.
So like I said how many publishers make a wide variety of GoW/HZD sized games. You having no counter argument isn't me being defensive, it's a simple question.

Feb 6, 2019
User Warned: Platform Warring
Nintendo seems to get a free pass for it. On a side note, I think many Nintendo fans have a hard time understanding why Sony only makes 2-5 games in any given series. "Sony kills off it's series too often. Why don't they make 157 sequels, prequels and spinoffs like Nintendo?" That's one of the main qualities that drives PS sales, is that PS fans generally like to get a constant feed of new IP, and not something like the 70th Crash Bandicoot game.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Would I want ND, SMS, Guerilla, Insomniac or SP doing games in other genre like FPS or platformers? No

But it would definitely be cool if Japan studio could make a big JRPG...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo seems to get a free pass for it. I think Nintendo fans have a hard time understanding why Sony only makes 2-5 games in any given series. "Sony kills off it's series too often. Why don't they make 157 sequels, prequels and spinoffs like Nintendo?"
I mean I don't we need to go that route with this. Different companies, different philosophies and styles that work in different ways.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
So like I said how many publishers make a wide variety of GoW/HZD sized games. You having no counter argument isn't me being defensive.
Nobody asked that besides you and does not relate to this topic. Nintendo could have 14 studios making platformers, that wasn't the point. If someone mentioned Ubisoft and how many of their games kind of have the same feel and open world nobody would blink but as soon as anyone mentions Sony now the gloves come off?

It's pretty obvious Sony has a formula that works for them, like others have said. Lots of 3rd person action-adventure games. Nothing wrong with making a JRPG or a 1st person shooter or go back to an arcade style racer.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people clamoring for Sony to release more games coming from Japan Studio actually bought a Vita.

There's like half a dozen there that no one bought.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
So "diversity" is the new argument as to what makes the lineup ultimately better?
Funny how it works right😂 people will nitpick everything just to downplay!

I think Sony has had plenty of diversity in their first party lineup but people like to focus on the ones that generate the most buzz like GOW, TLOU, Spider-Man, Horizon which btw all play completely different, so I don't really understand the argument in the first place😕let's not forget that they have several other gems like dreams, the last guardian, Shadow of the colossus, Bloodborne etc...and several VR games to top it of..
This whole argument is getting really tiring!

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would I want ND, SMS, Guerilla, Insomniac or SP doing games in other genre like FPS or platformers? No

Man. I would love for those companies to make games in those genres, or horror, or RPG, etc. I don't see why all their biggest studios need to be limited to two types of games.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most sensible answer.

half the games you listed aren't even franchises.

More to the point, those games don't magically not count because some weren't that popular.

But I agree with you on the budget and marketing part.
Those are the games that people are listing to counter the opinion that modern Playstation AAA productions might lack variety, i'm just saying that they "don't count" because they clearly don't reflect Sony's current and future strategy, for a number of easily understandable reasons.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I would like to see Sony funding a huge AAA Multiplayer game but I think that's something Sony is already planning to do.

Overall I think, Sony had the most diversified game output this generation. If they keep that up for next gen, they and especially I will be fine.

Feb 6, 2019
Those are the games that people are listing to counter the opinion that modern Playstation AAA productions might lack variety, i'm just saying that they "don't count" because they clearly don't reflect Sony's current and future strategy, for a number of easily understandable reasons.

Concrete Genie came out last year, do you count that?

Jan 3, 2019
So "diversity" is the new argument as to what makes the lineup ultimately better? In that is the case, VR alone represents plenty of diversity. The only thing I think they truly could do with more of is in the online multiplayer space, FPS and RPG.
New? It is the main reason why the PS3 catalogue was so much better than the other two. And PS4's for that matter.

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC

They definitely need a big scale JRPG IP! If those silent hills rumors are true, then they secured the horror genre. That has such strong brand name. Maybe they need to revive Legend of Dragoon?

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I think Sony's lineup really needs a JRPG. I'm playing the first Wild Arms at the moment and it struck me that the original Playstation had Sony published JRPGs like Arc the Lad, Legend of the Dragoon, Beyond the Beyond, Wild Arms, and Legend of Legaia. Additionally, this was at a time when Sony made the by far dominant JRPG platform.

Nintendo (both as a publisher and a console manufacturer) seem to have taken much of the JRPG audience since then, which can't have gone unnoticed by Sony, so I find it somewhat strange that Sony hasn't tried either making their own new JRPG IP or reviving one of their existing properties.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
One thing I'd like to see from them is a Space Opera to fill that void that Mass Effect left.

Like, just do a meeting and tell all your studio heads that someone has to do it, you don't care who and whoever is interested the most gets the job 😂

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I highly doubt that.
I mean, among 1st parties it's certainly true but even among developers in general in tough to name many major studios that put out games in as many different genres as EPD. Probably just the large centralized JP studios like Sega CS2/Sonic Team, Bandai Namco Studios or Capcom Dev1/2?

Vault

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's marketing for anything that's not AAA has always been abysmal as well.

So many games just sent to die

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody asked that besides you and does not relate to this topic. Nintendo could have 14 studios making platformers, that wasn't the point. If someone mentioned Ubisoft and how many of their games kind of have the same feel and open world nobody would blink but as soon as anyone mentions Sony now the gloves come off?

It's pretty obvious Sony has a formula that worrks for them, like others have said. Nothing wrong with making a JRPG or a 1st person shooter or go back to an arcade style racer.
The post I replied to literally said "GoW/HZD quality level, but different genres" but okay.

They still make those games or partner with a 3rd party, not like it's hard to find this information out, their AAA games are going to shoot for a certain audience, like literally every publishers mega budget titles will.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how it works right😂 people will nitpick everything just to downplay!

I think Sony has had plenty of diversity in their first party lineup but people like to focus on the ones that generate the most buzz like GOW, TLOU, Spider-Man, Horizon which btw all play completely different, so I don't really understand the argument in the first place😕let's not forget that they have several other gems like dreams, the last guardian, Shadow of the colossus, Bloodborne etc...and several VR games to top it of..
This whole argument is getting really tiring!
Yeah, and if PlayStation is lacking on a specific genre then there's always something to balance that out in other areas.
No one publisher covers all bases let alone 100% of the time.

New? It is the main reason why the PS3 catalogue was so much better than the other two.
I don't agree with that. I think what made the PS3 first-party lineup better in some ways was the sheer number of games that some studios were producing compared to this generation.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
If something I would like them to put more resources in their smaller projects, because the way I see it, they spend lots of money on their big AAA 3rd person adventures but don't support their smaller projects at all.

Gravity Rush 2 was not marketed at all, resulting in bad numbers IIRC, Bloodborne has not even a Pro patch, and it's the exclusive game that it needs it the most, they abandoned the Vita really soon... As a player that prefers their smaller and more experimental projects or games from niche genres, I'd like to see a Sony that is not that focused mostly in their big expensive games tbh. Their lineup is decent enough, obviously diversifying is a good think that IMO Nintendo at this moment has nailed (developing smaller and cheaper games of course), so I would be glad if Ps5 has a bigger focus on games that are not 3rd party adventures.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
One of the teams needs to just lean in to the trademark Sony Wall Climbing mechanic, get it out of their system, and just move on from putting it in every game.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'd like to see from them is a Space Opera to fill that void that Mass Effect left.

Like, just do a meeting and tell all your studio heads that someone has to do it, you don't care who and whoever is interested the most gets the job 😂

Yeah thats a great way to make a good game force studios to do it. How did that work out with Bungie and Halo again?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I wonder how many people clamoring for Sony to release more games coming from Japan Studio actually bought a Vita.

There's like half a dozen there that no one bought.
Same with PSVR, that's where they are making a lot of unique titles too. It really comes down to budgeting and having quirky games won't really get AAA funding. Nintendo is probably the best at providing quirky games that they are able to market as AAA.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think Sony's lineup really needs a JRPG. I'm playing the first Wild Arms at the moment and it struck me that the original Playstation had Sony published JRPGs like Arc the Lad, Legend of the Dragoon, Beyond the Beyond, Wild Arms, and Legend of Legaia. Additionally, this was at a time when Sony made the by far dominant JRPG platform.

Nintendo (both as a publisher and a console manufacturer) seem to have taken much of the JRPG audience since then, which can't have gone unnoticed by Sony, so I find it somewhat strange that Sony hasn't tried either making their own new JRPG IP or reviving one of their existing properties.

Yeah, JRPGs are a pretty obvious hole in their line-up. Nintendo has been releasing a JRPG basically every other month and that seems to work out well for them. The pace of new Final Fantasy and Tales games has slowed; there's definitely an opportunity for Sony to take advantage of that, if they want to.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like a full-on RPG, with a more developed dialogue system, branching paths and so. Horizon gestured in that direction but didn't really commit--I'm hoping the sequel does.

Action-adventure is a genre because pure RPG's are basically a thing of the past. You seem awfully defensive this entire thread.

I don't really see how pure RPGs are, 'a thing of the past'.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo seems to get a free pass for it. On a side note, I think many Nintendo fans have a hard time understanding why Sony only makes 2-5 games in any given series. "Sony kills off it's series too often. Why don't they make 157 sequels, prequels and spinoffs like Nintendo?" That's one of the main qualities that drives PS sales, is that PS fans generally like to get a constant feed of new IP, and not something like the 70th Crash Bandicoot game.
Crash stopped because Sony doesn't own it. I mean, it's not like GT, GOW, R&C, Uncharted, Mingol, etc aren't still going either. Even Wipeout keeps going despite Sony killing Psygnosis.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Outside of PS1, they were most creative with the PS3, but tons of the stuff there flat out bombed.

Oct 25, 2017

It's pretty obvious Sony has a formula that works for them, like others have said. Lots of 3rd person action-adventure games. Nothing wrong with making a JRPG or a 1st person shooter or go back to an arcade style racer.

There is nothing wrong with it, but none of their arcade racers sold very well and Horizon sells about three times as much as KZ did.
As an aside, Ubisoft is actually one of the most diverse publishers out there: they have games like Just Dance, R6 Siege, Rayman Legends, Steep, The Crew, For Honor, Mario + Rabbids, Anno, The Settlers, South Park, AC, The Division (2) etc.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

Yep, but Nintendo bought Monolithsoft, a veteran studio with some ex-Squaresoft employees. In the case Sony decides to invest in JRPGs (which I doubt, as it's not a big genre in the west and Sony is centering its attention in the west market), they need either to buy a studio or to create one, and as far as I remember there's not many JRPG studios that are either available or ready to create big projects. They could try to get some SE or Bamco developers and create their own thing though, which would be great.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man. I would love for those companies to make games in those genres, or horror, or RPG, etc. I don't see why all their biggest studios need to be limited to two types of games.
What are the two types of games? Open world, linear, action, TPS, action, adventure, online and SP, SP only?

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Trick question, it isn't like Sony isn't diverse in their titles. More diversity is always better, but if that comes at the quality cost or to take place of current Sony blockbusters, it's a easy no.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, but Nintendo bought Monolithsoft, a veteran studio with some ex-Squaresoft employees. In the case Sony decides to invest in JRPGs (which I doubt, as it's not a big genre in the west and Sony is centering its attention in the west market), they need either to buy a studio or to create one, and as far as I remember there's not many JRPG studios that are either available or ready to create big projects. They could try to get some SE or Bamco developers and create their own thing though, which would be great.
They could just partner/contract with RPG studios. Like they used to (Alundra, Arc the Lad, Wild Arms, Popolocrois, Dark Cloud, Soulsborne, etc, etc) and Nintendo also does frequently. Monolith only makes the Xenoblade games and helps out with Zelda but Nintendo puts out a ton more RPGs than that (Pokémon, Fire Emblem, RFA, etc).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The question for Sony is whether there's really a gap they need to fill there. They have franchises like Persona as exclusives and stuff like Nier and Final Fantasy come to PlayStation first. Any JRPG franchise not published by Nintendo comes to PlayStation.

It would be nice if Sony could bring back some of their older franchises but is there really any point working with Level 5 on a new JRPG when Level 5 will self fund a PS4/PS5 exclusive Ni No Kuni anyway?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I want more genre diversity at every big studios. Would easily trade their big AAA stuff for a lot of more diverse AA games. Tho it doesn't seems like commercially viable at all.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are the two types of games? Open world, linear, action, TPS, action, adventure, online and SP, SP only?

Either single player, cinematic, third person, linear, action/ adventure

or single player, cinematic, third person, open world, action/adventure

maybe throw in some lite rpgs mechanics and some generic stealth mechanics

Nov 21, 2019
They really should. It's great game. Plus if more people buy more Sony is inclined to make more games like that.
Demand and Supply. It's that simple.

Also everyone should buy Gravity Rush, because I would like a third one.
Somehow Sony is only now starting to ramp up marketing for Dreams bit by bit after release I feel. They just released the "Dreaming with..." series on Youtube as well. Yeah Sony can make these games but they really gotta remember to market them.

Deleted member 35653

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I will also add that many posters in this thread seems more disappointed by what this formula is rather than how much Sony relies on it (myself Included). I will not lie and say I would be fine with games with minimal differences other than setting if they were all Souls or TW.