• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which decade?

• 1980s

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • 1970s

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • 1960s

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • 1950s

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 1800s

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • 1700s

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Butt

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about during an earlier decade?

I love the aesthetic and atmosphere of the 90s in which Zero and REmake take place. But I've always been very interested to have a new game that takes place even earlier.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The 1880s, yes.

I have created an original character design:

RdLGcyi.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, I want the overarching plot moving forward not backwards. There's a reason why Zero sucks so much...
The plot can be moved forward no matter what decade it takes place in. It's not like it's impossible to learn of something new before 0 that has significance in the future.

Also that is definitely not why 0 has issues. I've never heard anyone say that 0 sucks because of when it takes place.

Proprietor Sin!

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
As a standalone story, that sounds like fun.

But as a prequel concept no, as prequels suck.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Generally I hate prequels in any story. There are exceptions where they turned out good but I was against the idea (MGS3 for example).

Having said that I could see it working for a RE game but please not young Wesker or any of that shit. Just a RE story that happens to take place at the time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do y'all even care about the actual state of the Resident Evil story? I definitely don't. I haven't found it worthwhile since the midpoint of Resident Evil 5.

Generally I hate prequels in any story. There are exceptions where they turned out good but I was against the idea (MGS3 for example).

Having said that I could see it working for a RE game but please not young Wesker or any of that shit. Just a RE story that happens to take place at the time.

Oh definitely. I wouldn't want to revisit familiar faces just decades earlier.

I could imagine Resident Evil 7 having taken place decades earlier, for example.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with Resident Evil sticking to relative simplicity - there's a virus outbreak and it's awful, just survive - and I'm ok with the series becoming individual one off stories about this simple premise.

RE7 felt like it could quite easily be regarded as that. Having games that explore earlier time periods like that would be great.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with Resident Evil stocking to relative simplicity - there's a virus outbreak and it's awful, just survive - and I'm ok with the series becoming individual one off stories about this simple premise.

RE7 felt like it could quite easily be regarded as that. Having games that explore earlier time periods like that would be great.
That's always been the appeal of the series to me. It's when they moved toward worldwide conflicts that I lost all interest. It's simply not as interesting at that point. I prefer more intimate settings and character studies in isolation.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, as long as we go back to the older "archaic" fixed angles and tank controls along with it to really help immerse in the time period :p

Really though I'd be down with the setting as long as it's not with that 80's like, whatever horror aesthetic you'd call stuff like The Guest. Not that.

That's always been the appeal of the series to me. It's when they moved toward worldwide conflicts that I lost all interest. It's simply not as interesting at that point. I prefer more intimate settings and character studies in isolation.
Agreed, I really don't care for the expansive story personally. You're thrust into a scary situation and have to survive, that's the essence of it for me.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Maybe 80's but anything before that wouldn't intrest me. If RE series stuck around the 2/3 era i wouldn't complain

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If they could tackle the civil rights issues as well as Night of the Living Dead, then I'd be for a 1960s game. I just don't have faith that a game company could do that. 70s or 80s would also work if they could tie in some of the rampant consumerism highlights.

Nov 4, 2017
As somebody who was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s... We had an actual terrifying virus killing people in a horrific manor while those with the power to do anything about it just ignored it or exploited it.

I think a game about a killer virus in the 80s would need a certain degree of finesse and care. I love Capcom, but I also know Capcom.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
No is my honest answer. Unless you can pull an RE7 and do a very isolated outbreak in a cabin in the woods which has no ties to previous games, and is a very simple but isolated game in the series with just zombies and survival.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No is my honest answer. Unless you can pull an RE7 and do a very isolated outbreak in a cabin in the woods which has no ties to previous games, and is a very simple but isolated game in the series with just zombies and survival.

That's the kind of game I imagine. RE7 already looks like it should be in another decade.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lets see one that takes place in the 60s. I wanna be a Black Panther in the Civil Rights movement kicking some zombie gentrifying ass. a nostalgic 80s (aka neon everything) one wouldn't vibe well with me.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
American/British 80's is done to death. If you have to do 80's, give me something in Indonesia or something.

Otherwise, I voted 60's. I could really go for a 60's Mario Bava-esque RE game set in Italy.