• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I often think back about that PS2 prototype of FFXIII:
500x_ffxiiips2_04.jpg
500x_ffxiiips2_06.jpg

I know some people loved FFXV, and 3D FF has been mostly "realistic", but I think this is pretty amazing.
It's not just some different anime artstyle, like Kingdom Hearts, but it's really cell-shaded, like Jet Set Radio.

Coupling that with modern hardware's capabilities (world size, details, vfx, etc), I think it'd lead to a pretty amazing JRPG, even if it ended up being another franchise. What do you think?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
No.

I don't like that aesthetic at all.

I wouldn't mind it if it looked more like Ni No Kuni though.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If it led to the game coming out faster i'd be all for it, Square Enix has incredible artists all over the company and can probably make alot of different art styles look good, although pushing tech as far as they can is one of the few things that FF games have in common so i'm not sure if they'd do it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be up for it, yeah. Something like the cutscene style of FFT: War of the Lions is my dream...

ulus-10297-game-ss-4

hqdefault.jpg

47ZEZeA.png

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not with the aesethic of the prototype clip of FF13, but if they could make something like War of the Lions's cutscenes mentioned above, or how Nomura's art looks in the promotional art for Kingdom Hearts? I'd be up for that.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If they did a version that looked like Angel's Egg or Vampire Hunter D.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I am playing through FFXV for the first time rn, and I found the whole Nomura aesthetic coupled with the characters over the top anime mannerisms clashed so hard with the hyper realistic look.
So yeah, I wouldn't mind a more stylized look for the next FF.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm indifferent, but I'd prefer that over a "chibi" presentation. Cel shading shouldn't be an invitation for characters to look like Pop Vinyls either.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I would have preferred VIIR be cel-shaded so the anime style stayed but since that will never happen then I would love to see an entry with celshading.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Nah. Would look too much like Dragon Quest. I think the time for cel shading is pretty much past, honestly- it was interesting in 2000 or so, but modern games look better using other techniques.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
If it had Arcsys level cel-shading I would be down.

The closest example I can find is Granblue Fantasy Versus:
maxresdefault.jpg

GranblueFantasyVersus-9.jpg

GranblueFantasyVersus-10.jpg

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I wouldn't mind.
And honestly I'd prefer it if the FF7 remake looked more cartoony. I don't like how the Nomura characters look when they try to go for something approaching realism. I've never played Kingdom Hearts but the versions of Cloud and Sephiroth in those games look much better to me than the Advent Children stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Cel shading would just make me think of Tales, and I don't want FF to be anything like Tales. FF should not be shooting for "anime but playable".

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would be neat but it's never gonna happen for a mainline FF.
Not really. Cel shading would just make me think of Tales, and I don't want FF to be anything like Tales. FF should not be shooting for "anime but playable".
Why just Tales? Wind Waker is a good example of a big IP testing the cel-shaded waters.

Did not even mean for that to be a pun.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
But that's what I've said in the OP, it's more a hard cell-shaded look, than anime cell-shaded (like DQ).
There's been some good counter-examples here, like FFT, but I think it's not a good thing to put all cell-shaded artstyles in the same group.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down if the art style done is interesting enough to compliment it and not just make it a 3D anime.

e.g. Prince of Persia 2008

0004656.jpg

prince%20(4).jpg

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The art style doesn't matter as much as the story, characters or gameplay. I'd even probably put music slightly ahead, assuming the graphics aren't terrible.

Would I prefer it? Not really for a mainline game. I still hope Square Enix can give us fantastic graphics and presentation while delivering an awesome game and story. It seems the cost and difficulty of producing top notch graphics cuts into their ability to make a damn good JRPG, but that is what I would prefer. That being said cel shaded would scare me off in the least. In fact I'd like to see some smaller/spinoff stuff that experiments with art style. I remember that cel shaded Amano look he did come some random game I've never played (I don't even know if it was just a prototype). That would be neat.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I think I actually prefer the more realistic fantasy style they currently have to be frank. Leave the cel-shading to other franchises, FF can still pull AAA-tier fantasy realism graphics, I say keep that train going.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Not really.

I would rather they even move away from the advent children doll like aesthetic into something more grounded.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what the aesthetic is... just make the story coherent, with stakes, minimal exposition, minimal melodrama, a sense of humor, a solid cast of characters, and make sure the game actually feels like it is finished. You know, make a good Final Fantasy game again.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Im down.
Cel shading ages beautifully.
I just want a coherent story that dosent have outside media bullshit

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But that's what I've said in the OP, it's more a hard cell-shaded look, than anime cell-shaded (like DQ).
There's been some good counter-examples here, like FFT, but I think it's not a good thing to put all cell-shaded artstyles in the same group.

I really don't like FFT's "no facial details" look at all. The armor looks nice but the characters don't look like people.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, mainline Final Fantasy has a fantastic and very distinct style.

Love FFXV's world and design.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like FFT's "no facial details" look at all. The armor looks nice but the characters don't look like people.
You don't have to keep the character designs (though I really like the simplicity of them contrasted against the themes of that particular story). You could very easily add in more detail and texture to the faces too. If we wanted to stick with the same character designer, you could get a lot closer to his FF12 concept art while not clashing with the aesthetic:

24d3a6609a9f5a06838146156ee53b29.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to keep the character designs (though I really like the simplicity of them contrasted against the themes of that particular story). You could very easily add in more detail and texture to the faces too. If we wanted to stick with the same character designer, you could get a lot closer to his FF12 concept art while not clashing with the aesthetic:

24d3a6609a9f5a06838146156ee53b29.jpg

Yeah, but they tried that in XII and it just really didn't work. It's just not the kind of art style that translates well to cutscenes or detailed characters. It feels like living concept art rather than actual people.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I would be interested, I don't like at all how XIII or XV look. It can be even better if they hire another character designer that is not Nomura, maybe something simpler and less edgy can make the games more appealing.