• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you murder Disney?

• Yes. I would watch the life leave from the mouses’ eyes for the foundation of the future

Votes: 1,781 88.4%
  • No. I would watch the mouse dance in front of me, for reasons

Votes: 233 11.6%

• Total voters

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I guess so. But I don't live in th US, so neither I nor the people I know would get the $24 an hour pay, which kind of makes this choice a little sour. The US only rule part of the question is really bizarre.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I mean, some Disney movies have been important cultural touchstones, but someone will fill that gap if Disney were gone.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine thinking silly comic book movies are more important than giving everyone a livable wage.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
This would be a financial disaster to our already troubled health care system. We already are seeing small town hospitals shut down here in the south as they are unsustainable, god help if you are having a crises type health situation.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Forgive me if I'm ignorant on this, but wouldn't essentially doubling minimum wage just quickly create inflation where $24 would become the new $12 or whatever? I thought the idea behind gradually raising it to $15 was to avoid this.

Also, we always have to be careful what we wish for on things like this. Killing Disney would kill hundreds of thousands of jobs, including park employees, animators, writers, etc.

I'm all for fair wages. You absolutely cannot live on minimum wage, but this hypothetical seems kinda flawed

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Forgive me if I'm ignorant on this, but wouldn't essentially doubling minimum wage just quickly create inflation where $24 would become the new $12 or whatever? I thought the idea behind gradually raising it to $15 was to avoid this.

Also, we always have to be careful what we wish for on things like this. Killing Disney would kill hundreds of thousands of jobs, including park employees, animators, writers, etc.

I'm all for fair wages. You absolutely cannot live on minimum wage, but this hypothetical seems kinda flawed

There have been many economists who say that there will be inflation but not enough to make the increase pointless. You can do it incrementally as well to slow down the effects I believe.

The hypothetical question is flawed because min wage is too low, whether Disney exists or not. Disney is not a factor when it comes to whether the US gets higher min wages.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017

Exactly, if you make 24 an hour serving ice cream cones at Dairy Queen, how much are nurses, teachers etc. going to make. And how much will food cost at the grocer? Worst of all would be people on disability as they wouldn't get some huge rsise but would be hit with the cost of living jumping through the roof, it's already a problem for them now.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
There have been many economists who say that there will be inflation but not enough to make the increase pointless. You can do it incrementally as well to slow down the effects I believe.

The hypothetical question is flawed because min wage is too low, whether Disney exists or not. Disney is not a factor when it comes to whether the US gets higher min wages.
Eh, I think most studies are done with a lot lower jumps than from 7.50 to 24 dollars. Jumping straight up to 24 dollars likely would be disastrous. In all honesty 15 dollars an hour might be tough for many areas around the country but still closer to reality than 24 bucks. Most countries that do do a minimum wage generally raise it all the time to keep up with inflation, we're pretty unique with our relative massive wage hikes every decade or two compared to other countries.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I think most studies are done with a lot lower jumps than from 7.50 to 24 dollars. Jumping straight up to 24 dollars likely would be disastrous. In all honesty 15 dollars an hour might be tough for many areas around the country but still closer to reality than 24 bucks. Most countries that do do a minimum wage generally raise it all the time to keep up with inflation, we're pretty unique with our relative massive wage hikes every decade or two compared to other countries.

Yup. That's why incremental increases over a set number of years would probably be better than a straight jump to 24. I'm addressing more on the concerns that beneficial effects coming from min wage increases would be wiped out by inflation, which is not necessarily the case.

It's the same with the law makers in my country. Everything someone asked the Ministry of Manpower and its respective ministers about setting a min wage (we don't have one) they claim that it will definitely lead to inflation and that we already have enough measures to help the poor, which is not really the case.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I would not lay off 200,000 people for nearly half of their working life to raise the minimum wage temporarily.

Actually, the impact would probably be even higher. It would affect people in merchandising industries globally and destroy those livelihoods too.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
can i kill time warner to end cancer? or viacom to end global warming?

i need to know the full spectrum of choices here.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if any of these shareholder-driven businesses are sustainable at all.

between their obligation to grow and grow while people spend more and get poorer... I don't know.

all the arguments that massive inflation would happen and jobs would be lost for regulating or outright removing them probably have merit, but that's why they should never have gotten so big in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you are a small time store already on edge, you will be fine. More money = more money circulating through the economy.

Yeah, no. I'm getting paid 20 an hour right now in a temp to perm position for a company that's under a hiring freeze because they're struggling. My boss has straight told me I'm getting moved to permanent if the hiring freeze ends next year, but the company having issues is the only reason possible reason why I wouldn't get moved to permanent at this point. If one morning the company all of a sudden had to pay me and everyone making less than that more, my ass would be grass very fucking fast.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the hell OP is thinking.

"Heh if I present this scenario to Disney fans, they'll lose their minds and I'll pull a gotcha on them."

"Wait, they aren't actually sheep?!"

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The framework in the OP is uninteresting.

What's more interesting is whether implementing a universal $24/hr for everyone (even if it is heavily subsidized by the government printing more money) would cause inflation --> thereby defeating the purpose of the raise.

Effectively, Australia pays close to that level of minimum wage. But everything is also more expensive.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Never change weekend era.

But yeah I would, just gotta make sure the rich don't raise the prises on everything to match the new living standards.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The sheer number of people employed by Disney would go unemployed? That seems like an oversimplification of a complex problem. Are you guys soft headed or something? Killing corporations for minimum wage is like blowing up credit card company buildings. It just isn't that simple.

I guarantee you that the aftermath would be economically catastrophic. But yeah, let's eat the rich, or whatever.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
The framework in the OP is uninteresting.

What's more interesting is whether implementing a universal $24/hr for everyone (even if it is heavily subsidized by the government printing more money) would cause inflation --> thereby defeating the purpose of the raise.

Effectively, Australia pays close to that level of minimum wage. But everything is also more expensive.
Of course it would. Well in a hypothetical where everything worked out. The current minimum wage is 7.50, raising it to 24 dollars is a huge increase. There's not a chance in hell that prices wouldn't raise dramatically to keep up.

But in reality who knows because since it is such a large gap there are tons of businesses that in no way could actually cover such an increase and would fold immediately. With any wage increase there's always some companies that will go under, for sure, but since minimum wage increases are usually less dramatic the amount of businesses that close up shop are generally statistically irrelevant, but with 24 bucks an hour, the majority, seriously I'm not kidding, of businesses in my city would likely go under, I have no fucking idea what would happen. It'd be insane. Raising the minimum wage to 24 dollars an hour in one fell swoop is wishing on a monkey's paw.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't even think of a single reason not to kill Disney. They already need to be split up from their stranglehold on the entertainment industry. So yeah, kill Disney.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Would US-ERA vote for Trump if he promises to kill Disney, Facebook, Amazon, twitter AND raise minimum wage to 24?

(the other shit he does keeps happening though)

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
I voted no cause of how weirdly dumb this question was. Of course I'd end disney and any other entertainment organization for that but it dont make the question and this border line pathetic obsession some of you have with disney being the root of all evil any less dumb.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the premise.

For smaller businesses with narrower margins does the $24 translate into increased relative productivity? If not who is subsidizing the difference? Do failing businesses also have to pay $24? How is this going to effect inflation? Will the dollar retain its value?

Can I start my own business and guarantee this wage regardless regardless of how productive I actually am?

Will skilled labor that previously dwelled in the $10-23 range see a pay increase to compensate for the new minimum wage? What's the incentive to stick around of not?

Last edited:

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Disney is only worth 130 billion. Apple is worth 203 billion, Wal Mart is worth 500 billion, while MS and Amazon are worth over a trillion each.

get some perspective

you can safely kill Disney. Killing Walmart or amazon outright would probably wreak havoc on supply chains and they'd be better off nationalized

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Shoot with the huge befits this would give to our public domain system I'd even consider it for a smaller pay raise than that!​