• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Many moons ago, Ubisoft was making a Rainbow Six game called Patriots. Game Informer had a whole issue dedicated to it but the game never came to be, sadly. Only thing of substance we have is a non-gameplay prototype video which looked to promise a very dark story about a domestic terrorist group seemingly targeting the 1% and others who benefited from things like the 2008 economic crisis.

The game was canceled citing reasons of timing in the games industry. It was deep in development for Xbox 360 and PS3 but would have launched well after Xbox One and PS4 came out, meaning they'd have to do a lot of extra work to bring it over to the new consoles and Ubisoft wasn't keen on that.

Would you have preferred something like this (likely with an MP component like past games) or are you happy it was scrapped in favor of Siege, a game that is MP only?

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I prefer Siege solely because Ubisoft generally sucks complete ass at social commentary and Patriots definitely feels like it was dug in on that angle.

Siege being more multiplayer-focused was the right move IMO.

Granted at the time I probably wouldn't have been able to say that, and I only have the benefit of hindsight to be able to declare Ubisoft kinda shit at social commentary. The premise is interesting, yes, but nowadays I have no faith that Ubisoft would've really explored it well.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Rainbow 6 Siege might be the best competitive FPS game I've ever played so I'm very happy with what we got in the end. As long as it continues to be supported, I'm not too terribly interested in any other multiplayer only FPS.

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I prefer Siege solely because Ubisoft generally sucks complete ass at social commentary and Patriots definitely feels like it was dug in on that angle.

Siege being more multiplayer-focused was the right move IMO.

Granted at the time I probably wouldn't have been able to say that, and I only have the benefit of hindsight to be able to declare Ubisoft kinda shit at social commentary. The premise is interesting, yes, but nowadays I have no faith that Ubisoft would've really explored it well.
I definitely agree with you on them being shit at social commentary. I think even if the story was awful, the gameplay would've been enough for me. I enjoyed the mechanics of the Vegas series a lot

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
The premise sounds interesting but Ubi would have done something disgusting with it, they usually do and this has the Tom Clancy name.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
I agree with the sentiment that Ubisoft probably wouldn't have put the premise to good use. On top of that, Siege is a really excellent multiplayer shooter and it has so much going for it in terms of the kind of gameplay it brings to the table that I personally wouldn't even give it up for an actually well-written version of what Patriots was going to be.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllll no. Patriots would have been a play and forget 6-10 hour single player game while Siege turned into one of the best competitive FPS ever.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to argue that a 5 hour experience would have been preferred or even comparable to an amazingly supported and focused unique online experience that siege became.

That said, Please god let Quarentine still be alive. I still really really want coop R6 back

Sep 10, 2020
Anything would be better than the mockery of rainbow six that siege is.
latest

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Siege gave me a lot of fun for years, Patriots wouldn't have done that for me.

Siege is a painful experience on console now tho, so

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If only to get a single player component. Siege is a good MP game and people seem to love it, but as someone who doesn't play online I've been starved of rainbow six content for years now.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Early Siege was too good then it turned into a parody with Ghosts, Samurais, Aliens and so on.

May 10, 2019
I enjoyed my time with Las Vegas 1/2 and even some of Future Soldier. I still hope we get something like that in the future. Siege is great for what it is as MP but I would love some of the old Ghost Recon MP we had in previous console generations.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Well, they seem like completely different experiences. I'd like a singleplayer Rainbow Six game, but Siege is great. They should probably get another studio to work on a singleplayer Rainbow title since the current studio must be focused on Siege. I see Siege still being supported in 10 years time.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I can't say I prefer one over the other.

Siege is great! I enjoy it and would never want to not play it. But I also miss the single player and multiplayer of Vegas.

I wish another Rainbow Six existed that hit on the Vegas era. I miss the single players of the older Tom Clancy games in general. Classic Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Siege is one of the most unique and successful multiplayer shooters of the last decade. I absolutely wouldn't swap it for anything.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
absolutely

im a single player gamer and Partiots sounded more like a continuation of what Vegas was. I guess im going to look forward to quarantine (heh) still coming, but i wish there was a realistic one. Though still, both could have existed alongside each other.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Siege is handsdown the most fun I've ever had with a competitive shooter, so I'm glad things turned out the way they did. Ubisoft makes plenty of SP games anyway.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I would take any campaign over any multiplayer, so yes. It also helps that I like Rainbow Six Vegas.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anything would be better than the mockery of rainbow six that siege is.
lol fuck no

I was really down on the MP-only Siege until I played it.

I still maintain that Siege is actually the closest we've gotten to the old games in terms of feel vs something like Vegas. It nails the moment to moment tension that the old games have and the check/balance nature of operators makes it more tactical than Patriots ever sounded.

Patriots would have been just another 2000s shitty "cinematic single player reimagining" of a classic franchise with Ubi's trademark fascist plots. Oh no, the 1% are being targeted! Who will be brave enough to stand up for the rich when everyone hates them?! Time to send in a death squad!

Then again, I never really liked the Vegas games and where they took the franchise.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Siege is one of the best games of the generation so no. Patriots probably would have been like a CoD campaign.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Hell no. I would not replace one of the greatest shooters ever with just another single player experience.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Siege is one of my favorite games ever, I sincerely doubt Patriots would have been comparable in quality

AbstractPlain

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like a return to the old school single player campaigns with planning phases but that will never happen. I don't think there will be another Rainbow Six game with an actual campaign of some kind. Ubisoft probably just considers it a fully MP franchise now.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Shame we never got this or the Ghost Recon Future Soldier that they showed first. I still want another Vegas though.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This premise definitely wouldn't have aged well. Siege and its focus on competitive esports was ultimately better for Ubisoft.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
I was way more interested in what they we're trying to do with Patriots. I guess Ubisoft probably won't revisit this concept in the future

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Rainbow: Siege is broken ass fucking game unless that delay is fixed. Every damn player sees my head at least 2 seconds before.

May 19, 2020
it would be nice if siege and more classic-style rainbow six titles could exist at the same time but i don't mind

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about This! Between this Patriots footage, Ghost Recon Future Beach, and homeless Sam "Throw Anything" Fischer, Ubi was pretty bad about showing full on gameplay concept videos of Tom Clancy games, only to scrap them later.

As for the question at hand... Yes, if only for a proper campaign, and a progression of the R6 Vegas-style gameplay.