• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Or to be blunt in my case: alt right supporters.

I had two terrible experiences in the past: the first was my first psychiatrist who turned to be a homophobic/transphobic POS (I was 15 and could easily be influenced by him, dangerous as hell), and a psychologist sharing the most heinous shit on Facebook.

I couldn't care less about it for other services, but for someone I need to be as honest and open as possible I don't feel comfortable at all. Is it wrong of me?

Comedy bonus:

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
I wanted to say yes, but I expected "different political views" to be something like difference in preferred fiscal politics etc. Not the therapist being batshit insane.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be discussing politics with a therapist but if I knew they were that ridiculous then no, I couldn't hold a serious conversation with them about anything

Lyude77

Dec 19, 2017
Yes if the therapist was good at their job and political things were totally unrelated to why I was going to the therapist.

If they were a 5G conspiracy person/QAnon and I knew that I wouldn't choose to go to them though.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Gosh, not at this level of batshit crazy.

In general yes, I think I could.

I could get along more like these differences:
"The country getting rich would solve poverty"
"The country fixing income distribution would solve poverty"

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
They would have to have a really good reason they saw the world and came to hold the wrong opinions/views. So probably no.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
With any therapist, it's really important for you to feel comfortable with them and develop a sense of trust. A lot of that doesn't come from specific things that they do or say or believe, but rather a general sense that you get as you interact with them.

I don't think anyone should stick with a therapist that they are ultimately not comfortable with, though at the same time I don't think it should necessarily be boiled down to a simple black and white political view criterion (of course, that's just me - other people may feel it's a legit dealbreaker.)

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
My wife was going to a therapist, found out she was a Trumper, and dropped her. Therapist relationships are built on trust. I don't know how you trust someone who sees the world that differently.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Someone who is that far to the right does not understand empathy which is a pretty big deal for a therapist. I would definitely look elsewhere.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
It depends. Am I going to the therapist for help? Fuck no. Am I going to the therapist or other care provider because they're a gatekeeper I have to appease? Then yes, sure, I'll shut the fuck up and maybe drop the occasional hint that I think the tories make sense if it'll help, while daydreaming of taking the Jason Mendoza approach to my problems.

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but there's a difference between a different political opinion and believing we are ruled by lizard people, or some shit like that.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Absolutely not, they wouldn't understand anything in the world that could be causing issues in your life. Nope nope nope x1000

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm oversimplifying but If you know the political beliefs of your therapist then they are not a very good therapist

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, possibly, if I can respect their views on some level. This case, though? Nah, man. This isn't a "difference of political views", that woman is somewhere on the line between "gibbering idiot" and "raving lunatic".

If I find out my therapist is a fucking moron I'm not going to trust them to do their job properly. I would barely trust someone ranting about that shit to move my couch.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Or to be blunt in my case: alt right supporters.

I had two terrible experiences in the past: the first was my first psychiatrist who turned to be a homophobic/transphobic POS (I was 15 and could easily be influenced by him, dangerous as hell), and a psychologist sharing the most heinous shit on Facebook.

I couldn't care less about it for other services, but for someone I need to be as honest and open as possible I don't feel comfortable at all. Is it wrong of me?

Comedy bonus:

I'm not sure if I'd call it political views when you're talking about stuff as extreme as that. It seems you're wondering if we'd be ok with opening up to people who are basically neo-nazis.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017

I'm picturing them as a current random ride-or-die GOP supporter, so no. No one has to put with such toxic bullshit.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Fuuuuuuuuuck no. I went out of my way to find a trans-friendly therapist. I wouldn't even bother with someone who wouldn't believe me or outright despise my existence.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
"Taxation is bad and we should deregulate" sure. I disagree but whatever.

"We must secure a future for white children"/1488 no

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Considering a lot of my anxiety is rooted in concerns about the world I think obvious political differences are not going to work.

I mean, unless you try to empathize with perspectives unlike your own and keep your opinions to yourself.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I think it's really important that you get someone who matches you to a certain degree. I don't want a homophobe for a therapist or a doctor. They'll treat you differently and aren't really prepared to handle your issues. You can argue that they're professionals all you want, but that stuff makes for some easy misfires. Even if there's no malice behind it, it can result in subpar treatment. I can't count how many other gay guys have said something about how their doctor had no idea what PREP was or had given them incorrect info.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm not sure if I'd call it political views when you're talking about stuff as extreme as that. It seems you're wondering if we'd be ok with opening up to people who are basically neo-nazis.

These days? Sad to say, but the right is either fully engaged in "extreme" views, or complicit in spreading them.

It's harder and harder to separate every day.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

The video is extreme, but it's really hard to find a right-wing person who doesn't support Trump, Bolsonaro etc.

Sep 11, 2020
If your therapists believes on those conspiracies, the problem isn't that both of you having different politicial views.

The problem is that, at that point, your therapist needs a therapist more than you do lol.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
not to that extreme, no chance. I don't think a therapist that deep into alt-right nonsense would be able to sympathize or emphasize with any real situation, because they're too far gone.

If you meant like, maybe they had normal different beliefs, like if they were anti-choice and I'm pro choice, or random fiscal issues, then I still think I could see them, because I don't believe that would come up in a normal therapy session.

I once had a therapist who was a pretty fundamental Christian, but he was professional enough that I told him early on I didn't want to broach that topic and we never discussed it after that. I saw him for years.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I wouldn't care.

Not like I would talk politics with them anyways. If they are good at the job that's all I care about.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I don't think I could. And this is something that often occupies my mind whenever I talk about political/social issues and how systemic oppressions affect my life to my therapist. Due to their style of therapy, I know very little about them and can't seem to parse whether they'd understand, empathize and align with my morals, values and ethics, or not. So far, they have not shown any signs proving they wouldn't, and have been nothing but kind and understanding, that's why I keep trusting them for as long as they stay that way. But it's still in the back of my mind constantly, and if they ever happen to behave otherwise, I'll probably bounce.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally, I wouldn't know much about my therapist's personal life at all.

If I discovered they were MAGA, bigoted, etc... I would have to go somewhere else. I couldn't be comfortable expressing intimate thoughts with someone that I knew was harbouring such hateful ideas. Finding a good therapist/support group that suits you can be really difficult, so this could be a bit of a blow too.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Honestly kind of doubt that a therapist who strongly believed that mental healthcare should not be free, accessible, and high quality for all people would be worth my time or display any competence in their job.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Trans people have to deal with transphobic therapists all the time, so I say no.
After managing to burnt through two homophobic therapists, both in the 2010s somehow - long story - yeah this's a big issue in general.

Can't exactly broach the deep stuff that's hidden away from the world if the therapist is the sort of person that's responsible for keeping that stuff kept deep and hidden from anyone not online.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
If you know your therapist's political views...then they aren't a very good therapist.

Doesn't matter if they are a Communist or a Nazi.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I could. And this is something that often occupies my mind whenever I talk about political/social issues and how systemic oppressions affect my life to my therapist. Due to their style of therapy, I know very little about them and can't seem to parse whether they'd understand, empathize and align with my morals, values and ethics, or not. So far, they have not shown any signs proving they wouldn't, and have been nothing but kind and understanding, that's why I keep trusting them for as long as they stay that way. But it's still in the back of my mind constantly, and if they ever happen to behave otherwise, I'll probably bounce.

Sounds like psychodynamic therapy. My therapist does the same thing. If you express how important it is to you to know their opinion about something they might tell you. Sometimes I've been able to get my therapist to speak about herself, sometimes she wouldn't.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I would have to know I'm in LGBT-friendly company when it comes to healthcare yes. This doesn''t fall under political belief to me.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If your therapist's political views are something they wear on their sleeve then they're not a good therapist. I'm fairly certain mine is a Trump supporter based on the religious items in the background of our Zoom calls but that's literally the only hint towards anything like that.

Sep 20, 2020
Therapist here.

Yes. So long as they can check their cognitive biases and refrain from any counter transference. The moment I get a whiff, I will call them out on their own BS.

Had a psychiatrist I saw for a few sessions in 2019 that where as soon as I denied religious affiliation and stated I was more or less an atheist he basically high fived me. I thought that was fun. And should have known given the beautiful Sky/Star Chart that hung over his desk. I really liked him; medication management aside, he did try to throw psychotherapy in there as well.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no, i went once to a therapist that was "law and order" "family" etc etc
couldnt stand her, i went to that therapist to get pissed off
i changed to a lacanian and it was the best change to me

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would say yes, I'm okay with differing political but at this point I think people that are openly alt-right like you described are just borderline mental and I wouldn't trust them with anything.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i changed optometrists because, when i needed new glasses this summer, he had his nose peeking out from his mask and then went on a rant about plannedemic and "how COVID will just go away" after the presidential election. if someone is an anti-masker outside of work, who knows how they could make me sick in their office.

it's not just "QAnon" adjacent people buying into this line of thinking, it's more mainstream than you think.