• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you willingly enter a VR-paradise for the rest of your life?

• Yes!

• No...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, in a not too distant future, Palmer Luckey and Mark Zuckerberg present their solution for world poverty: A matrix like virtual world where everyone will live the good life. The access price is that you they will mine the computing and biological body for furthering their real world wealth, but you will be oblivious to this while inside the virtual world. Inside the matrix you will have the choice of joining one of the following worlds:

- WoW/SAO/Runescape like MMORPG world with grand adventures.
- Ready Player One virtual world.
- An Animal Crossing World where you build your house in a village or city.
- Similar EA's Sims World.
- Palmer Lukey's life simulator: You get to live the life of someone with the wealth of a genius entrepreneur like him.
- EA's Sports World: Live like a real football, Gridiron, NBA or MMA superstar athlete.
- Playstation Home Return: Play all of Playstation games and socialize in this classic world better than ever!
- Super Mario World World: Live in the Mushroom kingdom with Mario's super human athletic abilities!

New worlds are promised to be added in the future.

You can change world every six months.

So, would you?

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP screwed up by involving Fuckerberg. There's no way it doesn't turn into a nightmare like Vanilla Sky.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Obviously. Everyone in 100 years will be doing it anyway. It's an inevitability of any advanced civilization.

I'd be very careful at choosing the company/software though.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
tech_support.jpg

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Easily yes. But wouldn't Ready Player One's world include all of the others? It's literally a virtual universe featuring many characters and worlds.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
When I got real old and couldn't walk I would maybe stick myself in something hyper similar to the real world (ala San junipero).

But not some video game like those world's you suggest OP. That would be a nightmare virtual hell of which there would be no escape.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Sure. I'm basically a brain in a jar that does awkward commutes as it stands, not having a body wouldn't really reduce my contributions to society or personal enjoyment that much, and it would presumably make it so that I have an extremely minimal environmental impact doing my brain-jar things.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I mean you can certainly find happiness in today's world, but you're lying to yourself if you're saying life is peachy. No one in the world lives a 'peachy' life today because everything involves a lot more struggle than it did in 2019.

Who are you to speak for everyone? People in New Zealand haven't had to deal with Covid for months, it's barely a blip in many Asian countries.

Plenty of people are doing just fine, some even better than before. Look past your own front door.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The VR experience would have to be way greater in scope and dignity than "play this dumb game for 6 months!"

That's basically enslavement, but with funny animal characters dancing around. This is my conscious mind we're talking about. There's far more freedom in the actual world than those "games."

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WTF? I though OP was talking about a Matrix like simulation, but living in any of those video game worlds would be like living in a hellish purgatory, hell no.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Yes assuming the ideal scenario where the universe is 1:1 simulated and I have god/admin privileges and the machine that stores my data will have sufficient energy to stay online until the end of time or at least 100s if not eons longer than the normal human life span.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
User warned: hostility
Who are you to speak for everyone? People in New Zealand haven't had to deal with Covid for months, it's barely a blip in many Asian countries.

Plenty of people are doing just fine, some even better than before. Look past your own front door.
Ah yes, because New Zealand is somehow secluded from the rest of the world. What happens if X person from New Zealand wants to visit their family in the US?

Apparently the global economy doesn't exist to you either, because New Zealand is this self-sustaining Utopia that never needs imports or outside trade.

Get real. Seriously, the takes on ResetEra are outright embarrassing at times. I feel like I'm in a Covid-denial thread again.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I want to live in some hellish video game world? Sounds fucking awful.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would absolutely jump at the chance of a Sword Art Online like full-dive environment, as it would be a net improvement to my quality of life. But it'd have to be something on the level of quality that ALfheim Online has in-story. Which, right now, doesn't really exist for a number of reasons.

I probably wouldn't jump on something Palmer Luckey/Mark Zuckerberg created tho, lol.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: hostility
Ah yes, because New Zealand is somehow secluded from the rest of the world. What happens if X person from New Zealand wants to visit their family in the US?

Apparently the global economy doesn't exist to you either, because New Zealand is this self-sustaining Utopia that never needs imports or outside trade.

Get real. Seriously, the takes on ResetEra are outright embarrassing at times. I feel like I'm in a Covid-denial thread again.

Lol ok, enjoy your miserable life I guess. Over here things are awesome.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Other than the obvious family/friend related reasons and Zuckerburg, I really don't see any reason why you'd stay on earth if this is a fully immersive environment we're talking about here. You guys really want to stay on a world racked with a pandemic, about to get fucked by climate change, and where you have to work for the rest of your life just to get by? Instead of a world where you can do whatever you want?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Would you give up your real life and body—"

No.

It literally doesn't matter what follows this phrase.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Lol ok, enjoy your miserable life I guess. Over here things are awesome.
As awesome as it might seem, there is no place on Earth that won't be negatively affected by the events of 2020. I mean maybe uncontacted tribes, but that's about it.

The global economy has the word global in it for a reason.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
You guys really want to stay on a world racked with a pandemic, about to get fucked by climate change, and where you have to work for the rest of your life just to get by? Instead of a world where you can do whatever you want?
Yep. Apparently some people would prefer this, because reasons. Of course there's debate when you have to give up all your real world contacts/friends/family and so on, but if everyone and everything transitioned all at once, then there is no effectively no loss of anything, not even this loss of 'real' that some people speak of.

A virtual world fully indistinguishable from our own is experienced as real; you can't say it's not, because all experience derives from our sensory systems.