• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you get rid of your pet(s) for a better job?

• Yes

Votes: 89 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 595 81.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 47 6.4%

• Total voters

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
This guy I work with got a new kitten but when I was talking to him, he was going to get it the next day. He already has one cat and he lives like an hour and half from work. He works the weekend package and people often give them a Friday to work so he is often gone Fri-Mon morning leaving the cat alone.

So, I'm guessing that factored in to him getting this kitten but idk. Another person at work knew someone who was trying to get rid of kittens.

Anyways......So he seems nervous about getting the kitten, understandably it's a big move. I ask him, you don't regret getting your first cat do you? It would be hard to imagine life without her now right?

His response shocked me, he basically said well if a traveler tech job came up he would have to get rid of them. A traveling tech works at a hospital in a different city for a weeks or months at a time depending.

It just got me wondering how many people would actually leave their pets if a better job came around where they couldn't have them anymore?

Oct 27, 2017
No, that's absolutely horrible and people need to acknowledge and accept the responsibility that comes from getting any pet.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
No. Please don't get pets then abandon them for work. That's just cruel. Pets are a responsibility.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'd never give up my fur babies for anything. They make me happier than any job ever would.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no. My pets are my family.

7GBrz9c.png

Six of you fucking suck.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Yes. I can always get another pet, but a good job is almost impossible to come by.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Pets are family and a big commitment, not something you ditch because they're "suddenly" inconvenient.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Absolutely nothing is more important than my wife and children. I don't see a scenario where I would have to leave a pet or give it to a friend, but if the scenario was a situation where it absolutely had to be done to give my family a better life, my children and wife are more important.

However, because I have a wife and kids, I wouldn't think a pet would be without someone to care for them, so I don't think this scenario would ever apply to me in any way.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've passed on and turned down jobs that would have required me to get rid of my dogs. This was a long time ago though before I had bought a house but even today I'd not give them up for a better gig.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm so glad my dogs were also my parents dog's.

I traveled for work, and I know they miss me, but they also have love and comfort at home. If it was just me with them before I moved out, I wouldn't have taken the job

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol no. I have to travel around the country as is. If I have to move to a city I couldn't bring my dog with me, and it's not short term I could leave him with my parents, id get a new job. My dog is part of my family and the only reason I'm not going insane when away from family and friends is cause I have him with me.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
No, that's a big reason I don't plan to get my own pet for a long time. Until I have everything sorted out and I have settled down somewhere, no pet.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It just got me wondering how many people would actually leave their pets if a better job came around where they couldn't have them anymore?

Hell no. Pets are family.

I literally had a job offer to move halfway around the world, all expenses covered, and turned it down because of my pupper.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It entirely depends on how much better the job is, how much more the job pays, and my ability to find a good home for them. Under no circumstances would I surrender a pet to a shelter, but if I could get a trusted friend to take them and double my salary then why not?

It's kind of a moot point though, because if you're getting a huge salary bump then you can easily pay someone to come in and care for your pets while you are away.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I have put off getting pets because we knew our lifestyles weren't compatible for one. That's a commitment you're signing up for come hell or high water.

Oct 25, 2017
I would get rid of my job and revert back to my life of poverty if I could bring back my cat.

People that don't 'get' pets don't understand. He wasn't a cat, he was my friend, someone that I shared a deeper bond with than the vast majority of 'friends' that I have.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I read the title more as in "Would you give up the ability to ever have pets for a better job", but then I read the opening post and... what the fuck, no

Jul 3, 2019
My dog is my family and I will always be there for her.
Especially since she is a rescue that came from a neglectful and abusive home, I could never in good conscious abandon her.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I work 8 hours a day. If it weren't for my wife, I wouldn't have rescued dogs because that would not be fair to them. Having the dogs, no, I wouldn't give them up for anything. They're family and love unconditionally.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dog passed away a long time ago. It was aching to like losing a family member. So the answer is no. Fuck a job.

Last edited:

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've got ball pythons, they don't give a rat's ass who owns them, I'd def give em to a good home.