• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
My daughter has a tooth cavity in one of her molars, and she has some issues with other teeth. Her dentist recommended that she be fully sedated since she won't stay still at her age. If she doesn't get it fixed now, the baby molar won't be replaced by her permanent one for 5-7 years, and it may cause further damage to her oral hygiene.

Understandably, I'm hesitant. What would you say if your child was in a similar circumstance?

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a trained professional is recommending it for my sons health, in a heartbeat.

Deleted member 10273

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In your case I would yes. The consequences if not sound much worse and she might hate you for it later.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I've done it with 4 of my kids. Sometimes is the only way to get the dental work done.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Under any circumstances? Sure.

For a cavity? Probably not. Sounds insane to me. How old are they?

Senteevs

Oct 28, 2017
Latvia
My friend's kid had the same thing. 4 years old and wouldn't sit still at the dentist.
He took him to a dentist, he used general anesthesia and fixed all teeth at once. Everything was fine.

Dupy

Oct 31, 2017
My son is 4 and he just had surgery a few weeks ago that required him to be under a general anesthetic. I worried a bit that he'd have a reaction since he's never gone under before but he was fine. Plus they had two anesthesiologists on hand so it made me less worried.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
My eldest (now 17) was petrified of almost everything like this when she was younger, so we had little option but to do this when it was necessary. Luckily she didn't have any major problems wth her teeth, but she needed grommets in her ears to help when she was about 5/6 and there's no way that we could have done it if she hadn't have had a general.

I will say, holding her in my arms while her body went completely limp remains the most horrible thing I've experienced in 45+ years of life.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see why not especially with professional recommendations

I went under it before I was in primary school too

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I would probably get a second opinion, but from another medical professional and not from here.

OP
OP

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
I'm not a doctor, how the fuck would I know. I'd defer this to an actual medical professional.

I'm not asking for professional opinion. I'm asking as a parent, if you would let your child be fully sedated in a theater (as if she's being treated for something more serious) when he/she is that young.

Anyway, this thread gave me some assurance that others have experienced the same. I will heed the dentist's advice.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not asking for professional opinion. I'm asking as a parent, if you would let your child be fully sedated in a theater (as if she's being treated for something more serious) when he/she is that young.

I don't know why you'd want anything but the opinion of a professional when it concerns the health of your child, but as long as they recommend it and can assure you that it is safe then yes.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a baby, I had an operation done which involved my eye muscles being cut. I hope to heck they put me under for that one. Can you imagine relying on a twitchy, oblivious baby to keep still when it has a scalpel in its eye? Nah, I think the call is clear.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
My appendix had to be removed when I was 7 years old, and so I was put under general anesthesia for the surgery... Apparently, I took a long time to wake up, and doctors said that I may have been very sensitive to the anesthetic. So much so that a bit more and I may have never woken up. Thing is, I have never had to be fully sedated again since then... But I trust that the adult me will be more resistant than the child me.

If I ever have children? Probably yes, I'd do it depending on the circumstances and the professionals administering it.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
OP I am pretty sure full sedation is not the same as general anaesthesia. The latter is more intensive as it requires a breathing tube, total loss of muscle control and consciousness. Sedation is the loss of awareness but not consciousness. Perfect for relatively low invasive procedures like dental.

Check into that. Both are statistically extremely safe though.

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
My eldest (now 17) was petrified of almost everything like this when she was younger, so we had little option but to do this when it was necessary. Luckily she didn't have any major problems wth her teeth, but she needed grommets in her ears to help when she was about 5/6 and there's no way that we could have done it if she hadn't have had a general.

I will say, holding her in my arms while her body went completely limp remains the most horrible thing I've experienced in 45+ years of life.
Oh boy, I'm picturing Mary holding Jesus on the PietĂ  but with a mask on and that sounds frightening.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went under multiple times when I was 8. I guess it can be a bit worrying but complications are very rare.
Worst thing that happened to me was waking up mid surgery. But again that's very rare.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Under any circumstances? Sure.

For a cavity? Probably not. Sounds insane to me. How old are they?
Infections in the mouth are serious. If not taken care could cause serious issues later not just a rotted out tooth. Especially in the location of primary molars shit can get into your sinuses, eyes, and even your brain if ignored, not to mention decay will spread to other teeth. Also if the child won't stay still, it is dangerous to the dentist and child.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
I'm not sure why you think the visceral feelings of parents have some sort of superior wisdom to medical professionals. I mean, at the least seek advice from a pediatrician rather than strangers on the internet?

Anyway I had some teeth removed when I was way young, I recall being fully sedated for at least one experience. It's true that children are more vulnerable to it, but they adjust their doses accordingly, you could always ask them to talk you through their practices?

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My daughter had to have a general anaesthetic at the age of 2 in order to have stitches inherited forehead (she decided to do a flying headbutt into a door frame for fun). Doctors said it was the only way to get the scar as small and straight as possible.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
I was put under a few times as a kid in the 80s before improvements using local anesthetic. It's fine, a bit disorientating when you wake up but if it has to be done then I would trust the professionals.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
My son had his two front teeth removed a few months after his 4th birthday. My son's dentist (who is my cousin) didn't want to put him under general anesthesia. I don't know if it was because he is her nephew but she was really hesitant. Good thing though that he just sat there without problems.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not for a cavity tbh unless there is some specific complication.

My wisdom teeth came in weird and I was put under to get them all removed (very rare in Japan I was told) and they fucked up the dosage and I woke up halfway thru for like 5-10 seconds.

Talk about nightmare fuel...

Oct 27, 2017
I had to have some reconstructive surgeries as a kid so by the time I was 10, I had general anesthesia a few times. Including once to extract baby teeth.

To me, as someone who is not a medical professional, this does not sound like a big deal. Obviously, you'll be shitting bricks until it's done but it should be a short duration (therefore lower risk) and the kid will feel annoyed for a couple hours since they will be light headed and their mouth will feel really dry/bloody.

Talk about all the options with the doctors and go with what is the safest option.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Back when I was born, I required GA at two weeks old, and many times during my first 2 years of life. If it's what's being recommended by a health professional, then, it's likely the best option.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I had 2 surgery's before I was 11. It was okay. I don't blame you for being worried. It is something to hesitate about.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My daughter has a tooth cavity in one of her molars, and she has some issues with other teeth. Her dentist recommended that she be fully sedated since she won't stay still at her age. If she doesn't get it fixed now, the baby molar won't be replaced by her permanent one for 5-7 years, and it may cause further damage to her oral hygiene.

Understandably, I'm hesitant. What would you say if your child was in a similar circumstance?

We had to put my son out to get his molar done. He was 4. It freaked us out at the time.. but looking back it was no biggie. He doesn't remember anything so he still likes the dentist.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
GA on children is done routinely every day. There is literally nothing to worry about outside of standard-issue parent paranoia.