• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you consider buying a game on the Epic Store over Steam?

• Yes

Votes: 517 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,396 73.0%

• Total voters

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I voted "no" but that's more of a "no, not while things remain as they are"

If Epic improve their store a ton and give me a reason to get it on their store over Steam, then sure

This is kind of why they're money hatting games though, even if they matched Steams features out the gate, where is the incentive to buy the game on EGS over Steam?

People who are happy with Steam will just buy on Steam, all their games are already there

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What kind of pratices are these?
Paying developers to delay or outright cancel their Steam releases to make them exclusive to their store with none of the features Steam has.

EGS doesn't support my currency but Steam does so now I have to pay more for less, and Epic's games aren't even available on 3rd party sellers like Humble, Fanatical or GMG (all which support CAD by the way) so I cant get discounts or the ability to pay in my own currency to make up for it.

I like achievements, cloud saving, proper DS4/Switch Pro controller support, account security, and workshop and I don't care if you or any other Epic defender don't like these features. Me and many other people do, and now I have to pay MORE for Epic's moneyhatted titles and I dont get ANY of those features.

My choice was stripped away and im forced to play on a inferior platform because the devs wanted a wad of cash. Thats anti consumer.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine this is the conclusion Epic came to, before deciding people would by a game on Epic's store if it wasn't available on Steam

Next thing you know they're mocking up some money hats
All they had to do was convince pubs to permanently discount games on the EGS thanks to the store cut. Put money up if they had to. Then spend time to improve their service.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
At exactly the same price, probably not. For like 1% off the price I would.

I don't put any value on Steam's features, its just inertia because my other stuff is there.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
This question is a little tricky because I probably buy over half my Steam games outside of Steam.

This is a huge difference for me between Steam and the Epic Games Store.

Now that I see Epic doesn't want to support authorized 3rd party key sellers, I have little interest in supporting this. I don't want to be beholden to epic for all my game purchases. So I would say Steam, but know a game I own in Steam is just as likely to have been purchased outside of Steam than within Steam itself. I like having different purchasing options as a consumer instead of being forced into one store.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Lol, No. My money going to a company that will use it to money-hat other game's is just not happening.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
All they had to do was convince pubs to permanently discount games on the EGS thanks to the store cut. Put money up if they had to. Then spend time to improve their service.

They could in theory still do that

I don't have much faith that their approach of money hatting temp exclusivity while offering barebones features and then never putting on sales will work long term, so they'll either fail or have to change tact

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Same price on a store which has less features, no keys available to resellers who compete with each other (meaning that I'd likely have to pay a higher price in reality), and uses dirty tactics to try to win business rather than offering a better service for the consumer? Hell no.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
if Epic actually begins to compete and offers lower prices or better value for my money than Steam does, then yes I would at least think about purchasing from their storefront as long as everything else was up to scratch. But right now they seem to not be interested in competing, preferring to instead force users into their store using very anti-consumer practices by limiting available choice to only them for particular products that otherwise would not have been limited, and so I will not even consider supporting their platform until that changes.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
If there is a game I want to play and it's only available on the epic store of course I'll buy it from the epic store.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never had a problem with multiple game sources, going back to before Steam.

Patch13

Oct 27, 2017
New England
The two catches are controller support, though I run enough non Steam games already that it's not as big of a catch for me -- I've got a pretty good controller setup just through the underlying OS drivers -- and Linux support. The second is a biggie. While I'm sure that someone is working on getting the Epic Games Store working through wine, Steam's Proton stuff Just Works for a lot of games. I've been tempted to see how well I can get Hades to run in a virtual machine, but thus far it has just seemed like a better idea to wait for a Steam or console release ...

I guess it depends on what else they manage to snag as exclusives, and whether or not they're working on Linux support.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lol at everyone answering the OPs question while clearly not having read the OP

If the question is "and the price is the same", your answering a different question if your answer is "yes, if it's cheaper"

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
If the price is the same, I'll choose Steam every time. Epic launched their store way too early and they're going to have to provide more incentive. Exclusives don't bother me; I'm fine with my library being split between GOG, Battle.net, Steam, etc.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not, at the moment. The extra cut for the developers would make me consider it for some developers, but I think the Epic Games Launcher still needs some improvements. My first choice store will continue to be itch.io, and I'll always buy from there first if it's an option.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
I have a nearly 500 game library on steam. Does that mean I may be stockholmed a bit by steam, sure; but its to the point where owning games on other platforms feels illegitimate. So much so that I've double dipped on a few occasions to get a steam key. If given the choice I will always want to add to my ever growing library.

Epic holding games hostage isn't going to sway me in their favor either, if there's no choice.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I see Steam as far better in terms of features and the way they support free key generation is much better for the overall PC ecosystem than Epic is with its moneyhats.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
not even if its 1 fucking dollar...epic shit store was uninstalled last night from my pc and they wnot ever be installed back again and they wont ever get a cent out of me.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No. Steam has problems - particularly around curation - for which it is rightly called out, but it is feature-rich and has done a lot for PC gaming, especially for Linux.

EGS is a barebones, anti-consumer piece of spyware run by a hypocrite who railed against walled gardens on PC and is now trying to create one for himself.

In it's current state I would pay more to avoid EGS, except that Steam allows key resellers so I can still probably get a game cheap anyway.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
The only games I would purchase from epic games store while the platform is inferior to steam are exclusive games made by Epic themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
No. If I didn't bite on their free games trojan horse, why would I pay actual money to be involved in their scalping scheme?

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): trolling + admitting to it
When first learning about the Epic Game Store, I would say "no". If the price is the same, there is no advantage for me to go with EGS at this present time.

But.... after encountering the same motley crew sullying every single thread on ERA about EGS (even some that are, at best, loosely related) with the same monotonous drivel -- I won't name names but we know who they are -- I would now say "yes" simply to spite these folks. If by some infinitely unlikely miracle, my one purchase on EGS is the one that pushes Epic into success in the marketplace, it will be thanks solely to these pseudo-economics-major wannabe experts that it happened, running their mouths about "anti-consumerism, damnit!" and "it's NOT competition!" ad nauseam. So thanks to those buggers, my answer is now "yes". Petty and childish on my part? Yep... don't care. Thanks for your help, the angry few.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
At one point I would have said no but with Valve really not giving a shit these days, allowing any old crap like Rape Day to even appear on Steam, I don't really feel like I need to support them only.

I will buy games on more than one service, depending on the price. I own games on Steam, Gog, Origin and Epic now.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Even before any "gaming ethics reasons", probably not, unless it somehow becomes a defacto better product for me. It's like asking someone to switch music players depending on the song; why would I do that unless there's some notable reason to?

GoG is definitely on the table, though the interesting thing there is that I could never do it because the client has been non-stop buggy for me.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It's a poor launcher and I don't like them consolizing PC stores with their bought exclusives nor the way it's affected preorders on other stores.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
No unless it is cheaper.

Steam extra features like big picture, workshop, controllers support... are all things that shouldn't be underestimated.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I would consider it once they are on par with the features Steam offers. Considering they just added a search function, it seems like it'll be a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When first learning about the Epic Game Store, I would say "no". If the price is the same, there is no advantage for me to go with EGS at this present time.

But.... after encountering the same motley crew sullying every single thread on ERA about EGS (even some that are, at best, loosely related) with the same monotonous drivel -- I won't name names but we know who they are -- I would now say "yes" simply to spite these folks. If by some infinitely unlikely miracle, my one purchase on EGS is the one that pushes Epic into success in the marketplace, it will be thanks solely to these pseudo-economics-major wannabe experts that it happened, running their mouths about "anti-consumerism, damnit!" and "it's NOT competition!" ad nauseam. So thanks to those buggers, my answer is now "yes". Petty and childish on my part? Yep... don't care. Thanks for your help, the angry few.

Buying an inferior version to own the consumers. Epic style.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nope, never. i may have considered it when it was first announced if the prices were cheaper, but their approach to "competition" is just very gross to me so i can't support them, or any dev who agrees to an exclusivity deal with them

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Kind of hard for me to buy on epic store when it doesn't run on linux.
Besides with all the shit they've been pulling lately I'll stay away regardless.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
if I had the choice, I don't see why I would buy on the epic store over steam

steam big picture mode is a game changer, and all my friends play on steam anyway

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I voted "yes" just because I'm not entirely opposed to buying from the Epic Game Store, but without a price difference I don't entirely see why I would

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017

Lmao The evil Steam illuminati on Era rightfully pointing out what Epic is doing is wrong and anticonsumer on a traditionally open platform is enough for me to pay for an inferior experience. I sure owned them.