• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you consider buying a game on the Epic Store over Steam?

• Yes

Votes: 517 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,396 73.0%

• Total voters

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
After this whole thing with them scraping your Steam information? Hell fuckin no.

I'll buy a game on console before I go and buy it on the EGS at this point.

Pastebutty

Oct 29, 2017
I mean this also applies to Epic...AND they're stealing data without your consent.

Also you can buy steam keys from 3rd party retailers and remove Valve from the profit equation entirely....
Fair points but personally, my main driver is that the devs get the best cut they can.

I cynically assume that my data is harvested and sold everywhere online so that's just something I have to make peace with.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Competition is a good thing, so I really want the Epic store to grow to a point where it begins pushing Steam in all areas.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I buy a game on an inferior platform? Besides, after the recent news that EGS is a spyware, you can be sure Epic won't see a single dime from me.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not buying games on the Epic Store regardless of whether they're available on another storefront, so no.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yes echo chambers are pretty reassuring.
200.gif

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason I have ever supported steam in the past is because I could often expect the best price during steam sales, so it was worth waiting for games. If Epic Games store starts offering superior prices, than why wouldn't I take advantage of it?

I am not going to pay some convenience tax on another platform because it's a "superior service" if I can save money elsewhere. If EGS offers the better value, than that's where my money will go. I think EGS has a lot of good things in place, including launching at discounted prices. If you ask me, they didn't have to go the exclusive route because being able to save 10 dollars at launch is a big selling point to a lot of people and when they figure out some of their less than ideal practices, if they keep releasing titles at discounted launch prices like they did with Metro, I think you will start seeing more people jump that direction rather than wait for steam sales.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I will go so far as to say that I would buy a game on Steam over Epic even if the price was lower on Epic. I value the features, ecosystem and having my library on one platform far more than saving a few bucks.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes echo chambers are pretty reassuring.
Yes they are at least that's what epic store defenders want you to believe. If Games were selling so well on the epic store, they would be telling everyone instead all we hear is silence.

If you ask me, they didn't have to go the exclusive route because being able to save 10 dollars at launch is a big selling point to a lot of people and when they figure out some of their less than ideal practices, if they keep releasing titles at discounted launch prices like they did with Metro, I think you will start seeing more people jump that direction rather than wait for steam sales.
Which they won't do. That would be a fair way for them to compete but even with Metro the only reason they did that was because of the backlash.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Provided Epic provides minimum standard features (cloud saves, user reviews, achievements, regional currency support), and competes fairly (no exclusivity BS), then yes, all things being equal (and game not being available on GOG), I can see myself choosing Epic, if the distinguishing point is "where does a dev get better cut"-which was Epic's initial sales pitch and one they should have focused on.

Exceptions will of course apply- if the game is very moddable I'm likely to pick Steam for Workshop support, for instance.

But yes, if Epic reverses their business model and competes honestly, I can see myself doing business with them in the future in such a hypothetical.

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
I'd at least consider it. The only thing I really like about Steam is the convenience of having my whole library on there. If there was a way to transfer licenses to the Epic store (even if it was just for some games) I'd be a bit more interested.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
At the same price? Definitely no. They offer nothing over Steam. Even at half the price I probably wouldn't deal with their awful practices.

Why did anyone vote yes, at the same price, when EGS is vastly inferior in terms of what it offers to consumers?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
If it's the same game, at the same price then NO.

On Steam I have an established Friends List, and yeah, even if I only ever play with real people I know, I KNOW some of them won't move to a different launcher because some of them refuse to activate/redeem FREE games from humble that can be activated on steam!

And Steam just has more features, like the discussion forums (even if I don't go there to discuss, I do check them if I have a problem and there is usually a solution or at least other people with the issue tyring to suss out a solution).

And with Steam I can get steam credit from other places, and my work offers rewards that can be redeemed for Steam cards (or amazon cards to buy steam card) so I can potentially get an identically priced game cheaper than on Epic this way.

Also, I know it's pennies, but I can also sell the trading cards I get and put that towards a little off my next purchase. Like how the Nintendo eShop now works with gold coins on every purchase. It's pennies, but it adds up if you buy a lot.

Epics store needs to just be better to compete, not just hog all the games. It needs to offer a better place to buy and launch my games (or at least comparable).

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
They HAVE to be actively disruptive to steam because that is the only way they can compete with steam.

What a ridiculous post. To become successful , companies should try to be better than the competition instead of trying to cripple them.

The hate Epic is getting is only a direct result of their strategy to piss off the pc community as much as they can. If this poll was about GoG instead of Epic, the result would have been completely different so stop blaming this on Steam loyalty.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I guess "accomodates neo-nazis" = Valve removes 100+ tributes to NZ shooter?

I think you're a little off here...

naw man - this problem is bigger than just recent activities, and we all know Steam is notorious for refusing to address issues like this until lots of bad press builds up. it's been documented by reports at Kotaku many, many times. half-assing a solution isn't enough to really make me think they're concerned about their minority gamers.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
No. Definitely no.

They've given plenty of reasons not to support. At this point, I'm willing not only wait, but to pay extra for steam version.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a ridiculous post. To become successful , companies should try to be better than the competition instead of trying to cripple them.

The hate Epic is getting is only a direct result of their strategy to piss off the pc community as much as they can. If this poll was about GoG instead of Epic, the result would have been completely different so stop blaming this on Steam loyalty.

Ok. Lol. You keep telling yourself that.

RhaZo

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, SP - Brazil
Yes because i dont give a damn about Steam or any other gaming platform software.

All my Ubi games I buyed at Uplay. I often use GOG, Battle.net and Orgin.

Last year I had to use bethesda launcher and I'm already using Epic Game Store.

I really don't understand this courliness over Steam at all.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Yes because i dont give a damn about Steam or any other gaming platform software.

I do not understand this courliness over Steam.

I have 50+ games on GOG, about two dozen on Origin, a few purchases on Battle.net, and even 3 or so uPlay games. Not to mention 800+ Steam games that weren't purchased from the Steam client.

I'm never buying a game from Epic Game Store, assuming no serious changes to their business practices. This has nothing to do with Steam.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
No.
I support competition in general and do buy on multiple storefronts. However, I don't support the the methods that Epic have bought to PC gaming so its also a big no and never not even for free.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

I do not understand this courliness over Steam.

I own many games on uPlay, Origin, Battle.net and GoG as well. The reason why I won't use Epic's store has nothing to do with Steam, but everything with Epic's anti-competitive and anti-consumer practices.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They will need some big guns because I've been against having more than one platform on my PC for years.

If you cannot have your game on Steam, then you likely won't see the color of my money, I'm not loading my PC with shit like Uplay and the likes, one roof to keep everything under is perfect for me.

With the exception of GOG, because they literally provide the install files, no need for another platform.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a game on the Windows Store. Just one but yeah... Can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I havent been a big fan of Valve in years and have been looking for alternate places to spend my money. Epic and GOG are not without their issues but all things equal yes, I prefer to shop places other than Steam. I bought Flower on Epic and have grabbed a 2nd copy of many of my Steam games on sale via GOG.

In the end though I dont really lose sleep no matter where I buy my stuff. The games are still the same.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Metro Exodus on there, but I'm not really looking to buy more stuff at the moment. I hope the platform improves dramatically and gets some of the basic features that are expected, and stops doing shady stuff like what was reported yesterday.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Yep. If it's cheaper, I'll definitely buy on Epic. I've got games on Origins, Windows Store, Twitch app, Battle.net, GoG. Toss another on the pile. Not a big deal.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, just as long as it's not sale locked to Epic's store. I don't really care about any launcher other than Launchbox since I route all of my games through that.

At least until Big Box mode improves or until Microsoft brings the Xbox UI to PC.

But as long as tying your game to Epic means it's not on sale on GMG, Amazon, or whatever, then I have no reason to use it.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
I strongly disapprove of Epics unethical business practices and their questionable and potentially illegal data collection. I actually deleted my Epic account today and don't plan on using their services in the foreseeable future. In the case the OP presented, I would 100% buy on Steam instead of Epics store. If game developers decide to release their games exclusively on Epics store, I am not going to buy those games, even if I may have been looking forward to them. If those games release on Steam or another store at a later point, I may consider buying them. I'm at a point in my life where I realized that not playing a game is not a big deal, even if it may be highly regarded by others. There are plenty of great games around that already compete for my time.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If cheaper - no problem. I've no love or loyalty to Steam. It's a thing I load to play a game I bought. No more. If that thing is Epics Store so be it. Note I play single player games only and the 1 other thing I've used through steam is the Workshop but I've used Nexus more for mods over the years.