• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you buy PS+, XBL Gold or NSO if online / multiplayer was free?

• Yes

Votes: 291 39.9%
  • No

Votes: 439 60.1%

• Total voters
Serious question:

If the online multiplayer on all or one of the three big consoles would be free, but the rest of the services like monthly getting a full game on PS+ or access to SNES/NES-games on NSO would still cost money:

Would you still pay that money for the other services or would you be fine with having the free multiplayer-option and pay nothing?

Is the other stuff of those packages attractive enough to you?

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Multiplayer is actually the PS+ / NSO / XBL option I use the least. I keep PS+ and NSO for the free* game offerings and cloud saves. I keep XBL for Game Pass Ultimate. So yeah, I'd probably still pay.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like og ps+, the game offerings would probably be better so maybe

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I bought PS+ to extend my library at a low cost per year. You see, I bought my PS4 late in its life.

Same deal with the Switch. I really wanted to experience some of my all time favourite NES and SNES games.

My PS4 library is still small but I have every game I set out to buy. So PS+ is something to reconsider. Perhaps once I beat the remaining PS+ games in my library, I'll quit the service.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I barely play online, so I am essentially already paying for PS+ for the free games, although I feel like they have been less aggressive on PS+ game discounts lately so I hope they go back to that.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I subscribed to PS+ when it first launched for the cloud saves, free games, and extra sales discounts. Those are mainly the same reason I am still subscribed to it, as I barely play multiplayer games on my PlayStation devices. While I play more games on my Switch online, I would still subscribe for the NES/SNES games. And if new versions of Mario 35 were released exclusively for it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Multiplayer is actually the PS+ / NSO / XBL option I use the least. I keep PS+ and NSO for the free* game offerings and cloud saves. I keep XBL for Game Pass Ultimate. So yeah, I'd probably still pay.

This is where I am. Have kept PS+ mostly consistently since inception but have never used Multiplayer.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about the NES/SNES games or Plus games, but I do like picking up a month of Gold whenever they get some OG or 360 games I like the look of and can keep after the sub runs out, so I'd probably still do that.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First I said no, but remembering that I only get cloud saves on switch with nintendo online I have to say yes ...

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
No, but XGPU has warped this completely from an Xbox Live perspective - and cloud saves were never a problem if you didn't pay.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Just gold? Nah, gwg been trash for over a year before January was decent

I get gold on gpu anyway so if gold stopped existing and you got slightly cheaper I would prefer it

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep NSO for all the extras I the number of times I've played online on my switch I can count on one hand.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I effectively do because I only play multiplayer on PC, but I pay for PS+. The free games are nice but what it really boils down to for me are the discounts. I pay basically $30/year for PS+ since the cards are almost always on sale, and I definitely get over $30 in savings over the course of the year. The cloud saves and free games are definitely nice perks on top of that.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
In the case of PS+, no. I rarely feel like I get something out of the "free" games. Maybe once in 6 months I'll play a game that was in there, and it's probably gonna be something like a walking sim. I don't have ps+ anymore and I can say I get along just fine without it.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Nope, stopped paying for PS+ (and Gold) as soon as possible and PS4 MP was the only reason for it (never used it on PS3). Such a shitty subscription service and still regret ever supporting it. Rather play games on other platforms or just skip them.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
NSO no, but Xbox yeah just because it's part of my GPU subscription.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a chance. The only feature which has any value on these services for me is online multiplayer, and even then it's not something I use outside of Overwatch.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I barely play multiplayer games, but I find their monthly "free" games a great offering for the price of the subscription. Plus the discounts and cloud saves.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
"Free" rentals, P2P servers and cloud saves behind a paywall, the holy trinity

No, I wouldn't pay for it in its current format, let alone cutting that third pillar

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yes if the discounts and even usually crappy monthly games stayed the same, I already don't pay for multiplayer since I don't play online

In the case of PS+, no. I rarely feel like I get something out of the "free" games. Maybe once in 6 months I'll play a game that was in there, and it's probably gonna be something like a walking sim. I don't have ps+ anymore and I can say I get along just fine without it.

Pretty much my experience. I got PS+ for getting Bloodborne and playing Titanfall 2-MP, but after that I'd never bothered to renew it.
Same goes for NSO. Playing MK8 a few times online is not for that money, imo.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a Plus subscriber since day one.

I'm on it for the discounts and free games.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'd still keep game pass ultimate even if gold wasn't required for online play but I'd drop switch online in a heartbeat if they let you play online for free.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Yes. I don't remember the last time I used multiplayer on console and I like the games I get

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I would only keep NSO since it's like 5€ for a year sub and I dig the Super Nes games/etc.

I have Plus ONLY for FIFA's online vs friends and GWG coz it's part of GPU.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Gold no. It is included with GamePass Ultimate though which I got a deal for.

NSO and PS+ yes. NSO is basically for cloud saves and NES/SNES games for me. PS+ I get a decent game I want every now and then and cloud saves.

I rarely play online MP so it doesn't factor in for me much.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd keep Game Pass Ultimate, but I already let my NSO expire after paying for the first year and then getting free months from Twitch, there's nothing there I need to pay for, Nintendo don't offer enough. PS+ I'd be tempted to drop as well, Sony put out decent games on there every so often but the actual value in the service comes from being able to play online.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
NSO is at least cheap, but they don't update it with games nearly enough for me to feel like it's a worthwhile service and not just an annoyance if I want to play online or have cloud saves.

PS+ was originally a pretty excellent service worth paying for without online multiplayer. Gradually that worth has been whittled down while the price has gone up, it's disappointing. That said, I do still value the monthly games (even if it can be a little bit hit and miss, especially since I buy a decent amount of games) and discounts. Wish Cloud Saves weren't also wrapped up in it but here we are.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I might pay for NSO since it's way cheaper than the other two and I do genuinely like having a library of SNES games available. PS+ really isn't worth it for me, though I reckon I'd get Game Pass if I had an XSX.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Plus, yes because they so put some effort into those games (sure we had a lull, but recent offerings have been strong).

Gold, no because they Quixote clearly have given up in favour of gamepass.

NsO, honestly at the price? I think so. I like SNES games and all the things they do. However, if Mario 3D All Stars becomes the norm for N64 and up O would have to reconsider.