• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy?

• Yes

Votes: 331 51.0%
  • No

Votes: 318 49.0%

• Total voters

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the poll should have just one option: "Yes"?

The actual question is: "Would you buy a new $500 console on day one if it came with about $180 worth of subscriptions". There are plenty of valid reasons to answer "no" to that.
Hahahah, so the only option is yes, I will purchase this consumer product primarily because I know nothing about it except for the fact that it comes bundled with a 12-month subscription?
Then there should be no poll and no thread. Why is a yes vote more valid than a no vote in your situation?
As I said in a later post, the question should be asked differently. It's too early for a yes or no.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Really? The no votes are winning? You could buy a new console and get free games and free online play for a year, your interactive entertainment completely satisfied (within reason). And your answer is no?

What?
Free? You have to pay 400 or more at least, to buy a console. And since MS first party output has still to go beyond promises and also fit my tastes, why would i choose it over a similar hardware that gives me the same or even more 3rd party content plus the already proven 1st party that i already know i like?
Not to mention that i like to own my games and don't want, like in many sub based services, with only timed content that can no longer be in the service when i want/can play it.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
leaning towards yes because my plan was to just use my Xbox One X at first but that would be a pretty good value

it still wouldn't get me to buy one before a PS5 though

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
You probably are getting "no's" cause y'all keep asking this question which feels like begging people to buy the console. Asking these questions already puts the X in a dim light. Like it's a catch to buying it.. leave it alonešŸ˜†

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As long as all the first party stuff comes to Gamepass on PC as well I have no reason to buy their consoles. I'll happily stay subscribed though!

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
No I don't think so. Maybe if there will be games I'm really interested in, but I don't really like the idea of GP even though you're getting a lot for very little money. I would rather try xCloud instead of buying an expensive console. I'm also not fond of the idea games are on there temporary and I don't own them. It'll probably make me try a lot but never finished a game. I have the same with demos. I try them for 5 minutes and then stop because it's not the full game. And when I get the full priced game I really appreciate that and play the shit out of it.

I believe to some people, even if MS gives them a Series X for free, they didnĀ“t want one :-D

Well I'd want it so I could sell it probably. It would most likely collect dust if I would hook it up.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I don't care about gamepass
QFT...

what is up with all these "would you buy" threads? If I find a deal I try to share it with ppl but I'm hardly interested in what others consider good value proposition because it varies so greatly from gamer to gamer.

I genuinely have never bothered to look up GP or PSnow lineup, I don't play that many games a month, I often go back to older titles, have entire months when I'm just playing Smash brothers etc...

NLCPRESIDENT lol yup, I just saw a thread like this this morning. Thought I had dejavu

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Seems like a good deal, but I think I'm good with a PS5 and PC. Honestly, I'd probably just buy 2 PS5s instead, one for the bedroom and one for the living room.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? The no votes are winning? You could buy a new console and get free games and free online play for a year, your interactive entertainment completely satisfied (within reason). And your answer is no?

What?

It doesn't have Sony or Nintendo exclusives nor big name AAA third party games on release so no is a perfectly valid response. Most people tired of the Halo/Gears/Forza cycle a long time ago and offering rental of old third party games (while you subscribe) on top of more of the same AAA exclusives doesn't change that fact.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you have or are planning on upgrading to a decent PC, Xbox Game Pass for Xbox is not a particularly compelling reason to pay ā‚¬500 for a console instead of ā‚¬100 or whatever for a year of Xbox Game Pass for PC. Third party lineup may be a game or three larger on Xbox Game Pass for Xbox, but first party is the same.

Xbox Live Gold is worthless to me.
If I want Game Pass I'll buy Game Pass, not a console.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand

What?
XGP hasn't made me want to pick up another Xbox now , even with the $1 offers, so it has no bearing on whether or not I'd get a Series X.
Service is great but I have no issue paying for games I want to own and my more limited gaming time these days means the service would go largely unused anyway.

Joo

May 25, 2018
That would be a great deal but as the great majority of gamers, I have no need for multiple consoles. All my games are on a Sony console and Playstation just has always had everything I've needed from a gaming system. It's not that the deal wouldn't be good, it's just that there isn't a deal which would make me change at this moment.

I think we are in a place where changing from one console ecosystem to another is getting just way too expensive and nonsensical without some insane differences between systems, which just isn't going to happen I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from Halo Infinite and maybe Forza I don't really know how much X Series specific content there would be around launch on Gamepass, so I don't really think that would do much to influence my decision one way or the other. All the other content, I've already had the ability to play.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I buy consoles for good exclusives, nothing else. Microsoft is dedicated to releasing all Xbox games on PC, and their Xbox Series X games are going to be cross gen for about two years. I don't care for Game Pass.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely!

GamePass has been a game changer in many ways, not only saving me money, but also getting to experience some games that my friends probably wouldn't have picked up.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
You gotta have the exclusives to back that up, and XSX won't have any that aren't cross gen for the first year. So no.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
Not only would I make the move, but I believe Microsoft will announce that very deal, featuring a box with no disc drive.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm buying it on launch even if it doesn't have it. Just like I'm buying the ps5 on launch.

Both consoles are backwards compatible with xbox one and ps4 games so I want to replace my current systems asap which are giving me issues.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

What?
No, I would no be satisfied at all, I already have a PC... and I prefer to buy the games I care about instead of having lot of them that I'm not going to play.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What?
yes gamepass is fine but not enough reason to get the new console plus there's no reason to believe that the exclusives are going to be worth it at launch.

miraidave

Dec 9, 2018
I would. I will most likely trade my Xbox One X for a Xbox Series X (if Gamestop is still around).

I used to be one of those guys who thought "What's the point of Xbox if everything is on PC". Then Microsoft hooked me with their Game Pass PC and Game Pass Ultimate $1 promo over the summer (I got 3 years worth and started using MS Rewards to continue to extend my subscription for free). I started playing GP games on PC, but noticed that many of the games I wanted to try out were Console only. I decided to buy a Xbox One X during a good sale on Black Friday to play things like Outer Wilds, DMC5, Monster Hunter World, Halo 5, and Gears 2, Gears 3, and Red Dead Redemption 1 (not a GP title) using BC. Just recently, I wanted to play Indivisible, which is Console only on GP. Also, GPU comes with those "free" gold games (although those aren't usually as good as GP games). Therefore, for me, getting a Console is was definitely not a waste even though I had a pretty good gaming PC.

Edit: added a missing word

Last edited:

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
That would make the Series X go from an Amazon Warehouse purchase straight to a day 1 purchase. Gamepass is awesome.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, better to wait for more exclusives to come out and jump for it on PC or X1X. If patient enough they'll be lots to play in 2-3 years.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I signed up for Psnow and gamepass and tbh i don't even use them. I realize that i don't play as much video games anymore because i just don't have the time. I play about 5 games a year and i'm good. So no, gamepass won't a deciding factor.