• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So this kind of feels like a given, but I want to get a wider pool of thought.

With the rumor circulating of Horizon coming to PC and the possibility of other PS exclusives coming as weell, would you be more willing to drop $1000+ dollars on a top tier video card? Typically that price point seems insane for most consumers, but I was thinking, if I took what I paid for my PS4 and peripherals and stacked it on top of what I paid for my 2080 I could have bought a 2080ti.

If console exclusives come PC side would you be more likely to pool your next gen money into a 1000$ graphics card? Additionally what would that mean for this trend of graphics cards seemingly getting more and more expensive over time. A mid-range card used to mean like up to $220 to me. Now mid-range feels like $300-350. Would prices continue to spin out of control or does competition between Nvidia and AMD have more impact on prices than competition between PC and Console?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not planning on going beyond 1080p anytime soon (my monitor isn't that old, and I very rarely hook my PC up to my 4K TV), so I don't think I need anywhere near such an expensive card?

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure it would necessarily cause me to spend $1000+ on a video card, but I think I'll wind up spending more time and money on PC gaming next gen. With Game Pass for Windows, cross-play, and PS exclusives coming to PC, the appeal of consolidating my gaming hardware down to a PC and whatever Nintendo has out is definitely more appealing to me personally.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Platform warring; trolling; history of similar infractions
No, because exclusives are not why I dont play PC. I dont play PC because I'd much rather play with a controller, on my couch with 65" HDR TV and Atmos sound system, then hunched over my desk with a monitor two feet away.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I only spend 600+ knowing that old and new games perform at a certain metric.

It's not the money it's benefit I would get if it's there.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've been wrestling with this for a while now trying to figure out the best way to play PC Games in my living room and without putting my tower next to the TV (which I don't really like and there's no way my wife would be okay with), it's just really difficult to get the benefits of PC gaming on the couch. I finally gave up trying to play MS exclusives on PC last week and picked up an X1X for $250 at my local closing GameStop and I'm thrilled with the performance of everything I've played on it so far.

I still prefer playing on the couch with a controller and as long as that's the case, it's more likely that I'll just stick with consoles moving forward. As services like GamePass and PSNow improve I imagine that will solidify that decision even more for me.

I'll probably keep my PC (Ryzen 1600, GTX 980) moving forward and just modestly upgrade it every few years to keep it operating as a good household computer and running PC centric games (simulations and strategy games mostly) at medium-high settings but do my primary gaming on consoles.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I prefer console gaming...so i dont think so. Maybe i'd jump to PC if Sony and MS started pushing their streaming services as the only future of media though

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
For the price of an RTX 2080 you could buy an XSX or PS5 and multiple $60 games. I'd rather do that than pay an inflated "lol we have zero competition in this performance bracket" price for a high-end Nvidia GPU.

I'm running a GTX 1070 currently and I don't plan on buying another graphics card until 4K is standard and I can get a card that performs well at that resolution for ~$300.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't particularly enjoy PC gaming, and first-party exclusives (other than Nintendo) are not what pull me towards consoles.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting a 1660 Super this week. That's fine for 1080p gaming, at least for games that aren't optimized like absolute garbage like Borderlands 3, Assasins Creed Odyssey or RDR2.

Costs 270 bucks. In two or 3 years I'll look for better ones, but until then I don't really give a damn.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
Since I got my gaming PC about three years ago (1070, 6600k, nothing mindblowing) I've actually gained more of an appreciation for consoles and realized that graphics and framerate isn't the be-all-end-all for enjoyment of a game. There's a lot to like about having something so plug and play like a console, and the barrier to starting up a game is a lot lower than on PC with suspend/resume. I've found myself playing more and more multiplats back on my base PS4 instead of my PC due to the PS4 simply being a more comfortable platform.

I value my PC a lot - if a game makes a lot more sense to play with a mouse and keyboard or if the performance difference is truly jarring, then I'll stay gaming on my PC. But allotting funds for a new console to a new graphics card for my PC instead isn't something I'd do.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
No, because exclusives are not why I dont play PC. I dont play PC because I'd much rather play with a controller, on my couch with 65" HDR TV and Atmos sound system, then hunched over my desk with a monitor two feet away.

I mean, I play my PC with the option of a controller or kb/m on my couch with a 65 in HDR TV and a dolby sound system.

It's very very easy to do comphy couch gaming on PC.

How much will a card to beat PS5/XsX cost? I'm in the UK.

Let's talk in march. Prices are about to go down if all you want is 1080/60 across the board.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
No; I have no interest in PC gaming. Prefer lounging in the mancave with our 75" tv with a console hooked up that I know I don't have to tinker with to get games to play.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony started putting their games on PC like MS then I would just put my PS5 money towards upgrading my PC. Kind of a no brainer.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I would consider it if all those exclusives come day and date on PC, but it does not look like that will be the case. So I'll continue to game on consoles primarily.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I am definitely attracted to the (potential) enhanced performance it would provide but I'd much rather pay $500 less for guaranteed performance.

Basically, see RDR2.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Well I dont know about anybody else but yes, I certainly am, and likely always will be "doing this". In preferring consoles for reasons outside games selection.
Your reasoning is the same old reasoning people drag out in these kinds of discussions. As if those niceties are exclusive to playing on console.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Not that a fancy card, but I will continue to play on PC, with a controller, comfy chair and great settings. Also, 1080 is good enough for me (still haven't tried anything above, but feel no need to)

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Well I dont know about anybody else but yes, I certainly am, and likely always will be "doing this". In preferring consoles for reasons outside games selection.
No, the "doing this" refers to the antiquated notion that people don't have PC gaming setups in their living room with PCs stashed next to their entertainment center or tucked inside of them via Xbox sized PC cases.

My next PC build is centered around the living room. My next TV purchase is being sought out with the least amount of input lag paired with the highest framerate possible for my budget so that I can have a good experience with my PC in the living room.

No one needs to be hunched over a desk to PC game. Most of my PC games are played with a Dual Shock 4.

A shit ton of people who are console exclusive play on monitors and at desks.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
No, I would only play on my TV and I don't see myself ever building a tower again.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nah. I'll keep my 2070 for RTS and smaller PC exclusives but I'll be picking up Series X and PS5 at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I doubt it happens but if Sony joins Microsoft in the all exclusives on PC department then yes I am going to go PC and drop a shit ton of money building one.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Nah, I like consoles.

The last thing I want in my day is getting home and fireing up yet another computer on my free time. Playing on computers never feels right to me.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
No. I never spend big on PC. I don't need more than 1080p for the time being, I'm more interested in keeping FPS high for 144hz instead. I don't use stuff like HDR. So my performance needs are relatively low, although that will probably change when the new consoles bump the baseline for AAA games a bit. Still, can't see myself spending more than a few hundred on a new GPU maybe two or three years from now.

Generally those $1000 GPUs are really horrible in a performance to dollar spent ratio sense. They're for wealthy enthusiasts who don't mind paying an obvious premium for a relatively minor edge.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if you can afford the upfront cost, you probably should simply because of 60 FPS in every game. FROM Softwares games in particular run disgracefully on consoles and benefit a lot from 60 FPS. Bloodborne cannot be considered among the GOATs with those technical issues.

Kain3984

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I plan to buy the top-tier Nvidia 3080 offering (or AMD flagship card depending on how it stacks up) for Cyberpunk on my PC, which I also have hooked up to my LG OLED and surround sound system. Having the Xbox and now Playstation games on PC as well will just be a bonus. :)

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I want it to connect to a monitor and 65" 4k TV so need 4k even if it's with dynamic, reconstructed etc.

Yeah, with the 30xx about to be announced, most likely in march, the 20xx series is gonna have a pretty extreme price drop. A 2070, which will do what you're asking for most games, will likely be 350/400 new, less if you buy used since everyone will be selling their cards to get the new hotness. It's not time to buy quite yet, but september/october seems to be the sweet spot if you're looking to upgrade.

That is, if NVIDIA learned ANYTHING from the past generation. All that logic could go out the window by NVIDIA being stupid about pricing.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
No. I'm fine with playing console exclusives on console, but if my existing card could play them fine, then I'd consider playing them on PC. I certainly wouldn't upgrade a video card just for that though.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Just because there is a chance that some games might come to PC 2-3 years later? Nah

If every single exclusive game came to PC day1? I would need to do a lot of thinking then for sure.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Other way around for me. Already have a 2080 Ti and I'm probably going to skip the XBOX Series X because Microsoft has been bringing their games to PC simultaneously. It's the reason why my current XBOX One X is collecting dust. It'll be the first console I skip in decades.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Just because there is a chance that some games might come to PC 2-3 years later? Nah

If every single exclusive game came to PC day1? I would need to do a lot of thinking then for sure.

I really do wonder what Sony is going to announce in February. I really really do.

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Literally nothing you said is precluded or particularly difficult on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
I have computer I can use to play games are a decent spec, but its not intended to be a "gaming PC" — I generally prefer to game on console. MS releasing all their games Day 1 on PC pretty much killed any interest I had in getting an XBSX.

I'm going to weigh PS5's spec / pricing and how long between console release and PC release of games and make a decision on if I should just skip that as well and invest in building a higher end gaming PC based on whatever higher end parts are out later in the year.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The reasons you gave are all doable with PCs. Your post gives the impression that they are console-exclusive things somehow.

Does anybody really do that? Really?

I bet not one person in here actually does that. OK maybe a few, ONLY because this is a board of super enthusiasts.

-still gonna have windows bugs, drivers, etc.
-have to keep a keyboard around, with nowhere to type on it comfortably
-is there any decent big picture mode?
-Isn't HDR on PC a mess?
-I would have to buy a 2nd PC. As my PC is my PC, and goes at a desk. So I can type on it right now.
-A DECENT PC is well more expensive. Yeah you could get some PC crapbox you will never be happy with and always wishing to upgrade (trust me, I know how PC gaming works!) for the price of a One X, maybe. Except One X is on sale for 300-350 with game a lot lately.
-Many have complained the Series X is too big for their entertainment centers. Would you like me to take pic of my mid-tower? It's at least I dont know, 5 or 6 times as big as a Series X. So yeah, if people cant fit the Series X near their TV, and this is a real problem (often mentioned in Series X threads), well it's a HUGE problem with something at least 6 times as big. You could build a SFF I guess, but it's going to be more costly and/or limited.
-I dont care what anybody says, PC is not plug n play in the same manner as a console. I WILL NOT be gaslighted about this. It's obvious fact.
-Does every game immediately play with controller as my Xbox does? On my PC I have to plug my controller in with a wire, just to be simple. Does bluetooth to Xbox even work reliably on PC? I guess there is a wireless xbox controller dongle somewhere, that you somehow need even though every PC has bluetooth because PC. I dont have it.

On top of all that for 6 years I realistically mostly play only one game, Destiny 2. I prefer the console version. Why?

The big Destiny advantages frequently listed as bigger than mount everest for PC are: Wider FOV, 60 (+?) FPS. I dont care about either of these in themselves. They're just something you get used to being there, or not. I'm perfectly happy with either FOV or 30 or 60 FPS, once I spend 30 minutes getting adjusted.

The thing is I dabbled with Destiny on PC with cross save, keeping console as my main. While it's easy to go from console to PC, it's very difficult to go from PC to console version, as there will be a period (maybe a half hour) of getting used to a smaller FOV and 30 FPS again. This became problematic. It became better to simply stick with the console version all the time and not have that annoying transition period.

I prefer several things about console Destiny: No hacker cheaters. This is huge for me. Just dont have to worry about it. Some will tell you this isn't a problem, but then you have youtubers (Zmushroom) making their whole channels about encountering cheaters so umm... AFKers are another big thing (people exploiting the game by doing activities for XP while not actually present, ruining it for people legitimately trying to do the activities). Well, they are much less frequent if at all on console. On Pc they are rampant, because it's easy to write a macro or whatever on PC. When I read the Destiny thread and read someone complain about the terrible AFK problem, well I know they're on PC. It's just not a thing on console.

Superior sandbox. PC has a few differences about the PVP sandbox (I live in PVP) that are all negatives IMO. Because of the laser aim, and FOV, on PC, hand cannons and snipers are even more suffocatingly dominant. I dont want that. I dont like to play with HC's. Why would I want to play in a sandbox where HC's are even more dominant? While HC's are still dominant on console, it's less so, and there's more freedom to run non meta loadouts. PC has ways to cheat the movement systems, that makes warlock and titans effectively superior to hunters, who's advantage is supposed to be movement. I run a hunter, why would I want to play in a sandbox where my class is weak? For whatever reason, many PVP exploits seem only an issue on PC as well. A gun called lord of wolves was OP for a good while. Only on PC. Didn't have to care on console. At least one big youtuber, True Vanguard, agrees with me and prefers to play Destiny on console.

Last edited:

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
No I will wait for a mid range card at an affordable price that can run them, even if it takes a few years. Most likely I will see what can run on what I already have, I'm not adverse to turning some settings down or even locking to 30fps if I have to.

Last edited: