• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. The strength of the Vita/handhelds in general for me are the bespoke games built around their limitations.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no, just buy a cheap android phone and something like this
RE4yWli
I was able to grab one of these for iOS for like $50.

I LOVE it. Use it almost daily. Has totally replaced my Switch.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Too many phone supporters here. If Sony released a PS5 gamepad with a good screen and zero lag, I would buy it immediately.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
If my experience with remote play were consistently good, then yeah, in a heartbeat. I'd love to have a handheld for playing some of the bigger RPGs.

But as is, no. Remote play is really inconsistent in quality for me, and I have a wired connection for my PS5 with a 5ghz router. Steam works just fine using remote play. The PS app does not.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Oh my God yes. I use remote play on Vita daily. I love the Switch, but I just love trophies more.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Personally -- not needed. Xbox controller + phone/tablet does the task for me.

But totally would buy a proper PSP3.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
That sounds too much like a uni-tasker for me. I'd much rather have a remote play app on my phone and/or Switch.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I probably would if it worked really well, but realistically there's probably not a big enough market for something like that.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Already own a phone and a tablet. I have a Switch too but only because it's the only place I can play Mario. I don't need another thing

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, I used the Moonlight app. Homebrew your switch at your own risk, however -- it can void your warranty or even get you banned.

I'm honestly holding off until a new Switch revision is release before I do all of that. Normally I'd be inclined to trade my old system in if the new one plays the cartridges, however I have an OG launch Switch. I already purchased a little physical piece to let me get into the boot stuff to homebrew.

Once I eventually get a new Switch, I'll turn my old system into my homebrew device. I don't want to risk getting banned or shut out from my purchases.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
No, only because there are several other devices I can use that are significantly better than the Vita when it comes to remote play now (way better screen and resolution support, better wifi, better controls, etc).

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I think if they wanted to get more into promoting that they would just push something like the Kishi. Would be tough to get the price right on such a device, I think.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I wouldn't be completely opposed, but there are a couple problems with that:

1. To get something up to my standards, with great screen, wifi, battery life, and good sound, it's going to be expensive. And to buy something that is single-purpose and extraneous for a high price is hard to justify.

2. I already have a great phone that can use Remote Play that, combined with my Razer Kishi (that I got one clearance for a cheap price), meets all the requirements in my previous point. It's not ideal, because it's big and bulky, buttons and triggers don't feel as high quality as a good handheld, and it wastes battery life on a device that is meant to do so much more than just that, but it makes it even harder to justify a Remote Play handheld.

Why even consider it? Because I love a nice solid feeling handheld (which Razer Kishi+phone does not), it would likely have good battery life since it wouldn't have any powerful hardware to power, and I'm a gadget fiend. But yeah, more than likely I would not be able to justify it.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was excited to use remote play when I got my Vita back in the day, but it worked like ass in my house. Only used it a few times.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Why not sync a Dualshock 4 to your phone?

Because that's ridiculously wasteful. My 2DS can run games for days on a single charge, and it's all thanks to highly efficient local processing. Laggy streaming of handheld games with a tethered controller would just be a massively inferior experience.

LuckyHit

Oct 27, 2017
What, like a WiiU gamepad for Sony devices? I would absolutely buy it if it was cheap enough. There was a device on Kickstarter a while back called the Cross Plane that looked neat, but it was super expensive and it didn't reach it's pledge goal.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
If it could directly connect to the console rather than using my wifi I'd definitely consider it. I adore using remote play on the Vita and half the reson is that it can directly connect to the PS4 itself. I've tried using remote play on my phone, laptop and pc and even when using ethernet I've never been able to get anywhere near as stable of a connection as using a Vita.

Jun 20, 2019
If you're content with being limited to Remote Play rather than a true portable machine like Switch or Vita then I'd suggest just using a tablet or phone with a full-function controller.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I just don't think this is a viable idea any smartphone can emulate the capability you mention and any device built solely for remote play will be so indistinguishable from a smartphone in terms of its hardware that it probably wouldn't be profitable for Sony. Such a device which would be so close to something like a lower powered Switch lite in terms of form factor would need to retail for less than the $200 that goes for.

I'd think it would be more likely Sony would re-enter the handheld market than produce a remote play only device.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't think this is a viable idea any smartphone can emulate the capability you mention and any device built solely for remote play will be so indistinguishable from a smartphone in terms of its hardware that it probably wouldn't be profitable for Sony. Such a device which would be so close to something like a lower powered Switch lite in terms of form factor would need to retail for less than the $200 that goes for.

I'd think it would be more likely Sony would re-enter the handheld market than produce a remote play only device.

Yeah. The thing about these remote play only devices is, why would you ever produce a device like that?

If you've got that remote play capable device, it's not a big ask to make it a fully featured handheld. You'd have to go 90% of the way anyway so why not 100%? It just doesn't make any sense to make a new handheld that doesn't function like a real handheld.

Khar

Oct 27, 2017
I use a 10" Galaxy Tab S5e to stream via Moonlight when I want to play downstairs. It works wonderfully with indiscernible lag. I have also used GeForce Now to it to replay Sleeping Dogs which wasn't as good, but nice and convenient.

PS4 streaming has always been more finikity for me than PC streaming. I have got it working acceptably now, but have yet to play a full game through using it. I stream over homeplugs at a high bitrate from my PC. Remote Play just does not have the same performance for me. To stream without noticeable lag or judder I have to move the PS4 to the same room and hard wire it to the wifi AC router in the room too.

I don't know what it is about PS4 remote play, but if I put it in the same room as my PC and hardwire it to the same router the streaming performance isn't good. It seems like there is something with the PS4 Pro itself - either hardware or software - that causes this comparably poor performance.

ETA I wouldn't buy a handheld only for Remote Play from Sony. I would consider purchasing a high quality streaming handheld as long as it was lighter than my Switch but with a slightly bigger, 1080p, screen. The sticks and buttons would have to be Vita quality. This hypothetical device would have to work with Moonlight / Steam streaming, GeForce Now, Stadia, PS4 / PS5 Remote Play, and be able to stream from Xbox. It would have to be really good as I already get an excellent experience with the S5e and Xbox One controller.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why Sony would waste time and R&D to create a handheld for remote play. Especially when the PS5 is being marketed as providing grandiose experiences tailor made for your 4k TV. You lose that with a handheld.

The Kishi alone is incredibly expensive for what you're getting. I'm not sure there's value in that even if the android phone is cheap.
The original price is expensive. The current price at Walmart ($49 with Razer Hammerhead earbuds) is really attractive though. I think it's still going for that sale price?

Does this work with both the official remote apps (Xbox and PlayStation)?
Yes. Unlike Android, you can use 3rd party controllers for PS streaming with the official app.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thread reminds me I need to dig out my vita to rp spelunky 2 before it comes out for the switch and im tempted to double dip.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but I am hoping that the Switch being successful means Sony and Microsoft make portable versions of their consoles. It won't happen, but I can hope.

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
If it was truly optimized for remote play with excellent wifi, proper triggers and buttons and a decent screen, yes.

Ideally I would really like a retrogame handheld that also has a remote play client with all of the above.

I know the response here is use an android phone etc, but at least for me my samsung galaxy s9+ doesn't seem to have good enough wifi - it's laggy and unreliable.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
No, I'm tv centric, I'm either home and can be at the tv, or on my short drive to work/ at work and cannot play anything at these times anyway. So I don't need to take a system anywhere with me.

Only reason I'd buy a different form factor system is to play portable games on a tv, like the GBA player or Playstation TV. But dedicated portables with exclusive libraries are dead, I don't really need to worry about that anymore.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
For those that use PSPlay.. can you play over 4G/5G with it?

At the moment, I use my Galaxy as a mobile hotspot to play games on my laptop with a DualSense controller but since I have a Kishi, I might as well put it to use.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. The Vita was offensive with respect to ergonomics and I/O...two things such a device should nail.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I probably wouldn't buy a streaming only portable, but if they were to make another xperia play with 5g....

Shamanoski

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 17, 2021
Nope. I used Remote Play like once or twice and that's it

Definitely interested in a new portable device though