• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you pick up a Sonic 3 & Knuckles port without the Genesis soundtrack?

• Yep

Votes: 238 58.8%
  • Nope

Votes: 167 41.2%

• Total voters

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite tracks from 3 and Knux are still used by Sega so by all means, give me them bootleg ice cap and carnival night zones.
I will pour one out for Launch base though.

RandomTiger

Oct 26, 2017
The replacement music is horrible, the original music tracks are some of the best in the whole series.
I would have only bought it for the PC so I could fix the music myself but that's not necessary for this platform.
Just play Sonic 3 A.I.R.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
I grew up with the PC version of S3&K so yes, absolutely.

Still think the PC Carnival Night and Launch Base tracks walk all over the Mega Drive ones.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Sure, I'd miss Ice Cap Zone, but I don't give a damn about the other tracks. Bring it on I say!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Act 1 sucks but this Act 2 shits all over the retail track IMO. It has that Chrome Gadget vibe

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I played just as much of the game on the PC S&K Collection as I did on Genesis and other ports. While it's not as good it's fine, just gimme my game back. (Even though I have it on at least 10 platforms now I feel)

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Yes jesus christ

I LOVE the OG soundtrack but it's not worth holding the game hostage over it. Give us a taxman version with a replacement soundtrack on PC that lets anyone mod the original back in in 2 seconds

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah for sure, I remember laughing at this:

What I mean is that the Master System game was released in 1992 so do we know if it was placeholder music?

Oh yeah it could have well have been, it does sound a lot more rushed than the other songs in the beta even. I wonder if they reached out to multiple composers at the time before they snagged MJ.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
No way, the music IS a large part of why it's the best 2D Sonic game. There is a reason those beta songs were replaced, they're flat out worse and don't hold a candle to the rest of the soundtrack. Barely anyone was out there stanning for the PC tracks until we found out they were the originals and now suddenly they were "always better". Nobody accepts Crazy Taxi with different music, this should be no different.

Sega just needs to accept the mess they put themselves in back in 93 and pay off the affected parties to free Sonic 3 from limbo, they can't keep running from it forever and all the while they try they're losing the ability to profit off a remake/remaster.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe, depending on how good the remixed music is. Theyd will have to come up with a banger to replace ice cap zone.

Benjamouth

Jan 21, 2020
Excuse my ignorance but how come the version released on XBLA has the original music?
How come Sega didn't get sued for that ?

Also must say that alternate Ice Cap tune is terrible IMHO, not sure it would stop me playing the game but its bad.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
No way, the music IS a large part of why it's the best 2D Sonic game. There is a reason those beta songs were replaced, they're flat out worse and don't hold a candle to the rest of the soundtrack. Barely anyone was out there stanning for the PC tracks until we found out they were the originals and now suddenly they were "always better". Nobody accepts Crazy Taxi with different music, this should be no different.

Sega just needs to accept the mess they put themselves in back in 93 and pay off the affected parties to free Sonic 3 from limbo, they can't keep running from it forever and all the while they try they're losing the ability to profit off a remake/remaster.

Me too.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I didn't really like the PC soundtrack changes, but if they redid the songs with a new composer I'd be interested.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it means we can get Sonic 3 a Retro engine remake and save the Retro engine versions of Sonic 1/2 from merely being on mobile, absolutely.

The beta tracks aren't too bad, and could probably be touched up by a good composer.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Excuse my ignorance but how come the version released on XBLA has the original music?
How come Sega didn't get sued for that ?

Also must say that alternate Ice Cap tune is terrible IMHO, not sure it would stop me playing the game but its bad.

From what I can tell, the only ports of Sonic 3 to come out after MJ's death in September 2009 were the DS Classic Collection (2010) and Steam version (2011), the XBLA version was June' 09.

In recent years the Michael Jackson estate has only gotten more letigious so it could be that Sega has gotten more hesitant.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Only if they offer something new to make up for dropping such great tunes.

I still hum the ice zone now and then.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Some of the proto songs are better than the actual game's IMO. I like the original Carnival Night tracks way better than MJ's take.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Absolutely. It's been my lifelong dream to be able to play 3K on a portable system, and the port on DS is utter garbage. At this point, it'd be much easier to have either Taxman or M2 port the game to Switch, and let the modders add the original music back in later if they want.

I just want to be able to play the Genesis saga + Mania on the same handheld. It shouldn't be this difficult at this point technologically.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Barely anyone was out there stanning for the PC tracks until we found out they were the originals and now suddenly they were "always better".
The newfound love for them is mostly because the prototype versions have drastically better arrangements than the original MIDIs or S3C's fan renditions.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely. Some of the proto songs are better than the actual game's IMO. I like the original Carnival Night tracks way better than MJ's take.

Damn, Act 2 sounds great (I had only heard the first one previously)! Certainly much more pleasant to the ears than those annoying circus ditties of the original version.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The newfound love for them is mostly because the prototype versions have drastically better arrangements than the original MIDIs or S3C's fan renditions.

This, listen to the Carnival Night Act 1 linked earlier compared to the shitty PC MIDI version and it's obvious why nobody liked these songs until the proto versions were unearthed.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Of course. The Beta soundtrack's arrangement of Carnival Night is better than the trash of the original game which is right beside Hilltop Zone for worst MD/Genesis Sonic music.

I'm actually sort of stunned that people like Carnival Night or Launch Base Zone, they're pretty much the bottom tier of the game's OST imho.

Ice Cap would be a tremendous loss though as it rules. The original beta's Ice Cap Zone music is fine, but it sounds more like Ristar music than Sonic to me.

Oh yeah for sure, I remember laughing at this:

What I mean is that the Master System game was released in 1992 so do we know if it was placeholder music?

probably not. it was probably the intended music and the MJ music was probably added pretty late in development considering the new beta we have was a mere four or five months apart from retail release.

the development of the portable/master system sonic games is always fascinating because they usually shared design documents with the mainline 16-bit games and then would wildly diverge from there. for example: Sonic 1 Master System is probably closer to Sonic 1's initial conception than the final game.

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the beta track posted in the OP, so if it was that probably not.

Maybe if they took a shot at making totally new songs that were good I would consider.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I don't like the beta track posted in the OP, so if it was that probably not.

Maybe if they took a shot at making totally new songs that were good I would consider.

i fuck with this way more than the circus garbage tbh

plus you actually got real act 2 music:

the "MJ" act 2 tracks really irritate me because they just usually remove an audio channel or two.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ice Cap might actually be the one track they might be able to resolve, since it does seem the record label is open about the particular track. The bigger question are the other affected tracks. Given how money grubbing a lot of these Estate and Music Labels often be, it might not be feasible. In fact, Sega's even no longer including the emulated versions, which has been long suspected how they were able to get away with the re-releases for the longest time.

Personally? If they can't sort the licensing situation, then I'd be okay with the beta tracks being used. If it ultimately is the only way they can release the games again, then it'd better that way than us never being able to get a current legal release. Ice Cap, I'm hoping they might be able to do something with, but the rest of the tracks I have absolutely no hope for.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The MJ tracks are all pretty much better than the original counterparts - although with the prototype showing us how the original tracks were supposed to sound (compared to the godawful PC MIDIs), I've gotten a new appreciation for them.

Launch Base 2 is pretty close to beating the MJ version. Ice Cap is awful though.

That said I'd still probably only get a PC port/remaster to mod the original soundtrack in.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Sonic 3 without Ice Cap Zone music is not a Sonic 3 I'm interested in playing.

What I really want

Sonic 3 & Knuckles ported to modern consoles in full 16:9
Have a fully redone arranged OST done by Tee Loped based on the original Genesis retail OST
Also have the original retail OST as a soundtrack option
Have the PC MIDI OST as an option
And have the Beta OST as an option

Everyone wins. We need this Sega.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I would be fine with it. I just want to play it on modern consoles. (Yes, I'm aware it's available on Xbox One; it's kind of a botched port.)

The best part about releasing the games on current-gen and next-gen consoles is if Sega does wind up getting the music licenses back, they can always patch them back in.