• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you pick up a Sonic 3 & Knuckles port without the Genesis soundtrack?

• Yep

Votes: 238 58.8%
  • Nope

Votes: 167 41.2%

• Total voters

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The common consensus behind Sonic 3 & Knuckles' omission from modern porting projects like Sega Ages and Sega Genesis Classics is that the Michael Jackson estate could sue Sega for using the tracks that were composed by him for the original Genesis release.

Last year, thanks to a beta, it was confirmed that they weren't the "true" original songs, instead replacing tracks that the general public had assumed were created for the later PC port.

For a comparison, here's the OG Genesis version of Ice Cap:

and the PC/beta version:

Presuming Sega would be fine re-releasing the game with the latter soundtrack, would you still pick it up? Or is the Genesis soundtrack integral to the experience for you?

EDIT: I shoulda mentioned this originally but it wouldn't effect every song in the game -

Reminder that only Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, Knuckles Theme, Miniboss Theme, Credits and Competition Menu are the only affected tracks.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I would.

But I suspect that if Sega were willing/able to do that, they would have done by now.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, and if it was on PC modders would probably have the original soundtrack back in pretty soon anyway.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
It would suck to not have the original Mega Drive soundtrack.
But if we could get the game I would be down with it.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
if i want different music ill play one of those crappy genesis you can buy in walgreens preloaded with sonic 3

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Retro engine port with Tee Lopes to redo the entire soundtrack. It'll be fantastic.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If Taxman & Sega put out Sonic 3 and the music had to be replaced to release it, of course I would buy it.

List of songs that would be swapped out

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Reminder that only Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, Knuckles Theme, Miniboss Theme, Credits and Competition Menu are the only affected tracks.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, no problem with that. Just gimmegimmegimme the Taxman ports of Sonic 1 + 2, and a Taxman port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles
with Knuckles
for PS4.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sega should make a deal/agreement to have the original (and proto) tracks included similar to how arcade Donkey Kong finally got re-released this gen.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I really want Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the Switch, so yeah—I would still get it. Different music would bum me out a bit, but I'll live.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No Angel Island Act 2, no buy.

Some songs remained the same in the beta (although they were much rougher quality)

In this hypothetical scenario I assume they'd keep the current versions of the songs they're confident in ownership of and maybe redo the beta tracks for things like Ice Cap.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not a chance. It's quite easy to still play the original version.

SalTea

Sep 19, 2019
Weren't remixes of flying battery zone and ice cap zone in sonic mania? Is music from the game really an issue for SEGA?

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
The only real loss would be Ice Cap imo so I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Modders would probably have the originals put back in on day one anyway.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I definitely would, especially if it was along the lines of the Taxman ports.

I feel like re-releasing it with any of the tracks replaced would be an admission on Sega's part that the replaced tracks were indeed legally problematic, and that'd probably invite more legal trouble on their end. It's probably why they're seemingly intent on just pretending 3&K doesn't exist as of late.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Some songs remained the same in the beta (although they were much rougher quality)

In this hypothetical scenario I assume they'd keep the current versions of the songs they're confident in ownership of and maybe redo the beta tracks for things like Ice Cap.

Whoah, that's great! Considering that Hydrocity Zone's themes were in Sonic Mania, I believe they would be okay as well. Okay, I just changed my vote to "Yep".

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No Angel Island Act 2, no buy.

That track doesn't need to be replaced, is not affected by the MJ situation.

I would if someone like Tee Lopes were to redo the whole soundtrack.

Absolutely. Retro engine port with Tee Lopes to redo the entire soundtrack. It'll be fantastic.

Yes....but absolutely would help if they hire someone like Yuzo Koshiro to write new songs

why? Sega having to spend money on a new composer would be a way to never re-release the game.

The original tracks are already composed and done with the Mega Drive versions, the ones we had in the retail version were new ones done when MJ jumped in. Just put these original tracks from the beta in the re-release.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
No MJ Ice Cap, no sale.

At this point the best thing to do is get the ROM off the Steam version and throw it into Sonic 3 AIR.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I'd hate every second of it, but I would definitely buy it. It's time to move forward and get this game back in people's hands. Change the music already.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Weren't remixes of flying battery zone and ice cap zone in sonic mania? Is music from the game really an issue for SEGA?
It's not the whole soundtrack, but a handful of songs that's the problem (Flying Battery is fine for instance, but Ice Cap is not.) See Ferrs' post a bit earlier for what would need to be swapped out.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, but the bolded are all GREAT tracks.

Carnival Night basically being a chiptune version of "Jam" immediately makes it one of the greatest pieces of music in a video game ever.

(I'd still buy a version with swapped-out music for these levels.)

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thats not the correct concencus, because you can still buy Sonic & Knuckles from XBLA for instance

also no.

I mean, we've gone through multiple platforms where Sega has chosen to skip (so far) releasing Sonic 3 and knuckles even when they release 1/2. I can't believe they're choosing not to rerelease the game, since almost a decade ago now, for a laugh when multiple ports of 1/2 have existed across a bunch of platforms.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Those tracks are iconic. I already have a legit copies of the original.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
A port with a different soundtrack is better than no port at all.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not.

Sega can figure out the music nonsense if that is the issue. They just haven't cared to do it or wanted to.

At this point we don't know if the issue can even be fixed, if they don't have the rights. Like how Sega has to pay Masato Nakamura every time they put Sonic 1/2 music, maybe whoever has the rights of that Sonic 3 (probably a bunch of people not just MJ estate) just doesn't want to?

This is a conjeture but the issue seems to be really complicated because thre's a bunch of producers involved, some of them angry because, as one of them said, Sega owes them a lot of money.