• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy a Game & Watch Collection on Switch?

• Yes, I loved these games!

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • Maybe, if it brings something new to the table. I played them to death on the Gameboy

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • No, they were never my jam

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • I don't know, I've never played them in my sad life before

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember this?

375px-GameWatchGallery.jpg

The first Game & Watch for Gameboy, released in 1997, was a small yet important part of my gaming childhood. I distinctly recall it being the first time I was impressed at being able to play Nintendo games on the go.

I've been replaying the first 3 Gameboy games on the 3DS and they hold up tremendously well. The gameplay is fun, simple, and the music is actually good.

Exhibit A:

When G&W 4 came out on the GBA, I couldn't put it down. The visual upgrades to games featured previously in the original Gameboy versions were very welcome at the time.

hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

A complete collection, ideally with new games and presentation, would be a great game to have on the Switch library. Some games can get intense and last 30+ minutes, while others can be appreciated in short bursts. Even the original GB game had a suspend save option, so that applies doubly so for the Switch's sleep mode.

What say you?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not as a full price game (unless the new content is pretty significant), but yes

would need all of them as well, like the literal zelda watch one too

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have loved a collection of all the games on the 3DS. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much with the larger form factor of the Switch, even in handheld, but I still would buy it depending on the pricing

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I totally would. I got some of them on the Wii U VC.
I'm old, so I actually played the real Game & Watch games back in the day...

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I would love it. I was a big fan of the first game on Gameboy since my parents had one of the Donkey Kong G&W handhelds so getting a chance to play more was welcome to little me. I believe I played the most out of Game & Watch 3 which my younger brother ended up picking up which ended up being all of our favorite collection.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well two of my last purchases were the following:

x5a6EhZ.jpg

So yeah, I'd totally be down for a comprehensive G&W collection. I'd want stuff like online leaderboards etc. though to make it worth while. The games are still pretty addictive to play in short bursts even today.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but I think it's time for the concept to be presented as a comprehensive collection, rather than curated highlights. Let's have a proper museum of everything (that's not stuck behind licenses, at least!) - not just the titles that were in the GB/GBA games, but a proper tribute to the entirety of the range.

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017
I loved them as a kid, but they're just not very fun.
I've tried to get back into them several times, when I visit my parent's, and the appeal doesn't last for more than 5 minutes.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Bundle together the entire library (sans the licensed games, probably) plus the Game Boy versions and yep, absolutely. Include unlockables like a gallery, original advertisements, etc. to make it a museum piece.

If it was just a small selection though, nah. Maaybe if it was incredibly cheap.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. These games were fun for like five minutes at a time in 1986. If that.

I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to play them for fun now