• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

all the Mario ports on Switch, all of them

• Yes

Votes: 279 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 636 62.2%
  • I'd wait for those famous first party Nintendo sales. [laughs]

Votes: 107 10.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Personally I get PUMPED when I get a chance to buy a collection of unremarkable and formulaic games.
My point is the NSMB games are so far removed from being outright bad that it's silly to even entertain calling them such.

Plenty of developers would kill to have games as "bad" as them.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
well no but thats because nsmb is garbage

see the thing is i am comparing them to every other mario game and they are excessively worse, thats why i say garbage op

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
My point is the NSMB games are so far removed from being outright bad that it's silly to even entertain calling them such.

… but if you concede that they're unremarkable and formulaic you understand why people aren't clamoring for this, right?

Plus when people say these games are bad or bland or whatever they're comparing them to other Mario games. Compared to Odyssey or 64 or whatever, yeah, I would say NSMBU is pretty bad in comparison. That doesn't mean I think it's on par with low-budget licensed games or whatever. It does mean I don't particularly care to spend time with it.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Nah
NSMB games all feel the same to me tbh
I remember one year they had new super Mario bros 2 the gold one and then new super Mario bros u a few months later and it felt so stale to me

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bold of you to assume that Nintendo wouldn't just sell each of them for full price separate.

But nah. I have access to all of them and don't feel all that strongly about any of them. If I want to play them at higher resolution, then that is what Emulators are for.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I was quoting posts calling the games bad! That's what I was responding to, nothing else.

Technically one of the posts you quoted just said they're "not good," which isn't exactly the same as calling them terrible or whatever.

And I edited my post. You have to remember what games these are being compared to. Mario 3, Mario World, and Yoshi's Island are some of the most acclaimed games in history. Not just in their genre, period. A few of the 3D games are widely considered masterpieces. That's what people are comparing the New to when they say they're bad.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Let's say Nintendo announced this game for Switch:

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. ALL-STARS
-includes New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. 2
-NSMB and NSMB2 are ports/emulation, not remasters, but menu is tweaked to work on one screen
-co-op is included for NSMBW and NSMB2 (both online and offline), but left untouched for NSMB

I know people are probably sick of Mario ports on Switch but I can't help but think this would be a good value. Which probably means Nintendo will wait until we get DS games on the Switch 2 I guess. But in a vacuum, I'm curious if you would buy this relatively straightforward port of three New Super Mario Bros. games.
Ewwwww New Super Mario Bros

skobuffs

Mar 21, 2021
Definitely not. I have all three, and while they're enjoyable, they aren't really worth replaying. They are basically all the same game with different levels. I don't think there are many people who would be able to recognize which game a random level is from (besides general graphics, resolution, etc.)

I love the original New Super Mario Bros. I dreamed of a new 2D Mario on GBA. I will never understand why they didn't release an original game in their most popular and iconic franchise for it. With New Super Mario Bros there was finally a new 2D Mario.

But for a company that is obsessive about not releasing games that don't have unique new ideas, I don't know what is going on with New Super Mario Bros. They are basically all the same game with different levels made on some sort of internal Super Mario Maker. They might have slightly different powerups and settings, with some other small gameplay tweaks, but they are just too similar. The least they could do is vary the art style between games/console generations.

It was very jarring going from DK: Tropical Freeze to New Super Mario U. There are individual levels in DK that have more setting/location variation than the entire New Super Mario U game.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
NSMB is a bad game. NSMB2 is a meh game with a stupid gimmick.

But NSMBWii is absolutely amazing. I'd buy it just for that.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I wanna know what masterpieces are being played here to consider NSMB games bad. A game being unremarkable and formulaic doesn't make it bad.
C'mon. You wanna compare Galaxy to NSMB? Sure, NSMB is fun for a bit, undoubtedly fun if you can't play the classic 2Ds. But seriously. Comparing NSMB to 3D Mario is like comparing McDonalds to a perfectly grilled burger.

Oct 27, 2017
It would be of those collections which ERA hates on and then goes on to sell 10 million copies....just like NSMBU DX

ashm

Oct 26, 2017

To each to their own, but it's just so weird that considering the NSMB games "bad" has been so normalised to such extent that people considering a collection like this a good idea are considered crazy. They are extremely basic and iterative, but they have some of the most interesting and well-thought level design out of any platformer, not just Mario. However, I do think that creating such collection and not including NSMBU as well as unified the engine across all four games would be a mistake. I could see this happening early next generation, because this is the type of evergreen title that could go on selling throughout an entire generation and easily exceed 12 million copies sold with a minimum investment.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I never needed to coop to enjoy a mario game before and ive been playing mario games since 1991

I haven't really played a platformer singleplayer since those years tbh. I only play them at all anymore because my wife loves them, and the NSMB games were the most fun I had platforming with her over the past decade or so... maybe aside from the one Rayman game we liked

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I haven't really played a platformer singleplayer since those years tbh. I only play them at all anymore because my wife loves them, and the NSMB games were the most fun I had platforming with her over the past decade or so... maybe aside from the one Rayman game we liked
You're the target demographic a lot more than nerds who have been playing platformers well into adulthood, is why lol.

(I say this as a nerd who has also been playing platformers well into adulthood.)

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.gif

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Yes, I LOVE the NSMB series!

Playing them co-op with my family is one of my most cherished gaming memories of ALL TIME.

Could the presentation be better? Yea. But as far as gameplay goes NSMBU was tops. Tight, awesome fun 2D Mario.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I only finished one of those but I don't really have any interest in going back to them again.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't, but only because NSMBU is already on Switch, and of the three remaining games in the series, only NSMB Wii is good.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I love Mario, and I played those games thoroughly. All that said... I don't think I want to ever play them again. Lol. I kind of wish we had gotten 3D Land in 3D All Stars, though 3D World iterates on it so well, that I don't miss it too much.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
I'd like to say no, but I'd buy it at Walmart for $10 off at launch (assuming that will still be a thing in 2022).