• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Redo.

• Yes.

Votes: 146 27.6%
  • No.

Votes: 264 49.9%
  • Depends on how they 'remake' it.

Votes: 119 22.5%

• Total voters

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
No I don't see the point unless they completely overhaul the Disney worlds to be more in line with or even grander than the ones in KH3.

Maybe if it was a remake that combined KH1 + 2 and did the above as well as flesh out the FF character storylines that appeared in those games.

Otherwise, the remasters are pretty much perfect.

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
The fact that KH1 feels like pissgarbage to play is pretty much the only thing that kept me from getting into the series a few years back, so I would hate to remove that safety net.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
KH1 is the only one I really like and I'd be a little miffed if the remake started pulling in things from later games.

There is definitely stuff to improve...but I don't trust that they wouldn't change a bunch of other stuff too.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
No need.

A lot of context needs to be presented here. First off, KH 1.5 Remix was a miracle. A large majority of the original KH1 code was gone/missing and they had to re-create the majority of the game. I'd guess they used a PS2 copy original disc and went back and forth. You may notice how some elements of the scale of character to environment are different and elements of the camera. It was wild how they were even able to do it. Same for FFVIII Remastered.

I am one of the few fans that can play through the specific amount of Janky elements in the earlier game(s). To me, the KH1 that exists on PS4/PS5, that was further enhanced from the PS3 remix version.. This version is ideal and I don't need another remake.

I prefer to get KH4 and new games. KH1, KH2, KHBBS are perfect atm as they are, visually and mechanically. There is no point to remake them to KH3 visual standards. Just do a nextgen Destiny Islands and other zones in KH4.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
I finished it for the first time in 2019 and had a great time with it. I see no need.

They should just focus on 4.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a heavily condensed version of the main games and they can take out the Atlantis sections and other areas like that

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
KH1 is on my short list of favorite games of all time and its a shame the switch got a shitty cloud version of it cause it would be perfect for a portable system (official steam version when?). but a remake could be cool if they just gave it some higher polly models, some QoL improvements and changed some level design so you can remove a ton of the load zones. i actually like the combat in KH1 despite how clunky it can feel, KH2 has the best combat so if they used that instead of any of the other games it could work. biggest thing is level design. like theres some great looking and iconic locations but navigating some of the worlds sucked.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
If I have to sit through the KH1 worlds again after 1-2-3-4 punch of CoM, Re:CoM, 358/Days and Coded I will turn into gas. This game doesn't need to be revisited in a long time.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with it; go for it. I probably wouldn't play it but maybe the direction they choose could be more interesting that I'm thinking it would be.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
They should remake 1 and 2 and incorporate important plot points from the spinoffs so you only have to play the three main games to understand the story, instead of three main games and 20 shitty spinoffs.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I generally agree that we don't need more remakes, but I feel like if you're going to remake a PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era game, KH1 is one of the few I'd consider a good pick. The way the game is designed is completely out of parity with KH2 and onward, with each world basically feeling like a small diorama with a lot of crappy platforming and backtracking. I know a lot of people like KH1 but I've always thought it's a jank game, and it put me off of the series for a while. I also don't t just think it's "aged poorly," I think it was legit not very good in 2002, which is an unpopular opinion, but it's how I honestly feel. I also imagine it's rough for newer fans of the series. I also kinda think the game being designed that way was less of an artistic decision and more the developers having not found their footing yet wrt 3D action RPG game design and going to stuff like Banjo-Kazooie for inspiration and not really hitting the mark.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Cool it with the remakes. It's a perfectly playable game available on modern platforms.

As much as we say this, it won't matter because publishers and developers have decided to remake everything anyway, from Shadow of the Colossus to Resident Evil 4 and even The Last of Us for crying out loud. So, might as well just brace for impact and hope it could be an interesting one at LEAST because they're definitely going to be looking into another one for another series eventually, I'm willing to bet. :P (Though I'll eat my words if untrue.)

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
No. Just 1:1 remake 2FM with KH3 visuals.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Not particularly. A big part of the appeal for me was all the OG Disney voice actors, but a bunch of them have passed away in the ensuing 20 years.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Some areas like Deep Jungle and Monstro have god awful confusing level design that could be remedied a bit by some tweaks in a remake.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely does need one. KH is my favorite video game series, but 1 is the hardest one more me to get motivated and replay because of how poorly it aged. The platforming is floaty and imprecise. And the combat feels too slow.

Oh and having to replay Gummi missions is dreadful, especially with KH1 having the worst gummi missions in the series.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I've never played a Kingdom Heart game, so I would be up for it, and some sort of streamlining of..what I'm supposed to play to get the experience of the franchise.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
No, especially if we lose Deep Jungle. The design is ass but the story segment is crucial and more interesting with party dynamics than the games reasonably get again. Hollow Bastion isn't as strong without Deep Jungle and their infighting.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Go get yourself the collection when it goes on sale for like $20

Goes for that price often during the big holidays

It was on sale for even cheaper than it is in normal sales a year or so ago, I think as a deal of the week type of thing, and I still kick myself hard for not nabbing it, I really do want to give the franchise a proper go. I'll keep an eye out for the next one!

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I quite enjoyed KH1 and 2, but 3 couldn't hold my attention. I think I'm done with the franchise.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Depends. It would be interesting if they go the FFVIIR route and have Kairi, Riku or Roxas become the MC in the middle.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I will never say no to more Kingdom Hearts.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Yes, there's far too little remakes.

But honestly though, not sure with KH1. It's just so simple and stylized that an entire remake wouldn't be worth it for me. Unless they fully voiced it etc. but that would be way too expensive, this would be the one case of just put it into the sequel instead.

Give me an Assassins Creed 1/2 remake and RDR1 remake though please. Thanks.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of getting sick of remakes tbh. Maybe if they want to do some pre ps2 era remakes I'm not super interested. The 2DHD stuff really looks nice tho.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
If it is just gameplay stuff like bigger maps and KH2/3 combat, then sure, that'd be dope.

if nomura is adding "story" to it, then no, absolutely not.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I for sure think so. I've tried it three times now and just can't get past the old as hell gameplay. It would probably let me actually play the game.

Deleted member 78597

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 20, 2020
The only Kingdom Hearts games I want remade are the original X and Union X x Dark Road. You literally can't play the original gameplay anymore because they are service games. I want offline versions of the entire games' experience.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
We really don't need to keep re-developing past games, so no. KH1 holds up fine. I guarantee whatever remake they would put out would A. Take ungodly long and B. Lose a lot of the charm from the original.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Nah, part of the charm of the game is that it's such a time capsule of the Disney and Squaresoft of that time.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
Only if they remake it but also, at the same time, add some crazy content that, at first sight, doesn't make any sense, but in reality ties into the fourth game's secret ending in a very obscure way.