• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I use my switch docked 90% of the time but the other 10 percent I take it somewhere else for stuff like Ring Fit and Fitness boxing.

Also it was cool as hell being able to play my switch when the power went out.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
the part where switch doesn't have a docked-only sku is a big reason why i don't own one. the switch feels over-priced for someone that doesn't want portability,.. as in too much of my money is going into a slim form factor, battery pack, and screen that i don't want. i'd greatly prefer a sku that drops those and either gives me a price drop or improved performance for the same price. also i would want it to ship with the pro-controller.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Would sell my Switch immediately for one if it came with a power increase. I hate playing handhelds anyways.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I almost never play on TV, but I like to have the opportunity to do it.
A switch that doesn't switch ? I wouldn't buy it.

As it is, Switch is my dream portable machine and if the next Nintendo console is not a hybrid I will be very pissed.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I just want a powerful handheld that docks like a Jedi Starfighter to be an even more powerful console. I will pay you $499 USD Nintendo let's make this happen.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for options and wouldn't mind one, but let's be honest, this is gonna sell as well as a Vita TV (which I also own)...maybe a bit more.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
As an option, I have no objections. As long as the handheld option remains available and all software remains compatible (as it works so well for my lifestyle) then knock yourself out.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm part of that tiny minority.

Me too. I would buy a Nintendo competitive hardware with their first-party catalog and full third-party support day one. Actually, this would be my dream console.

I don't get the defeatism from some people here suggesting it's something like an absurd to want that. I bet that, if Nintendo decides to get back into this direction, gaming community would totally embrace and support the idea. They did it before in the NES, SNES and (to a degree) N64 days and those systems are widely regarded by many as one of the best systems ever.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be a pretty reasonable product for them to make. It wouldn't sell in huge numbers, but it'd be per-unit profitable and at least some of the sales would be to people who wouldn't otherwise have bought a Switch.

But also...

They could probably sell a dock only version of the Switch for like $120 and still make a profit.
What they could sell a TV console for wouldn't matter. They absolutely would not sell it for US$120. They'd sell it at a price high enough to ensure that the profit margin on it was the same as profit margin on the regular Switch in absolute terms (so that if someone bought a TV console instead of a regular Switch, they would gain the same amount of money from each sale).

Keep in mind the selling price of a spare Switch dock. They're not going to sell you an entire functional Switch for a price so close to just a barebones dock. If they ever make such a console I would expect it to retail at the same price as the Switch Lite.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're delusional if you think that 1) a docked only Switch would cost $120 and 2) that Nintendo would even think of undermining the Switch and Lite by selling it for literally more than half off the base system.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Maybe this is just me being crazy (and selfish), but having a Switch Lite, (I got it as a gift), I wish there was a cheap Dock-Only switch that I could hook up to my TV and play with.

Whenever I bring this up to my friends they say "That ruins the whole point of the switch which is to switch between handheld and docked!"

But Nintendo already did this with the Switch Lite, so what is the big deal?
Also being real here, the expensive part of the Switch is not the hardware, it is the necessary Tablet that it's design requires. They could probably sell a dock only version of the Switch for like $120 and still make a profit.

I feel like it is kind of hypocritical to have a Switch Lite but not a Switch Dock. It also kind of messes over Switch Lite owners who decide they may want the ability to Dock a little later (Now they have to pay the full price for a switch which essentially makes their switch lite useless).

Am I just being crazy? Are there reasons why this wouldn't work that I just don't understand?

If the dock only version had slightly better cooling and power draw allowing higher clocks and thus better performance in dynamic res games like Xenoblade, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Me too. I would buy a Nintendo competitive hardware with their first-party catalog and full third-party support day one. Actually, this would be my dream console.

I don't get the defeatism from some people here suggesting it's something like an absurd to want that. I bet that, if Nintendo decides to get back into this direction, gaming community would totally embrace and support the idea. They did it before in the NES, SNES and (to a degree) N64 days and those systems are widely regarded by many as one of the best systems ever.
Agreed, they have a terrific history up until the Wii U now everybody seems to think they never want to do a dedicated living room console ever again just because one failed. If they did, fans would still eat that up all day long.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of a TV only Switch? There are far more powerful consoles that don't look bad on 4K TVs like the Switch does. Now if you mean a more powerful version that uprezzes games to at least 1440p, then sign me the hell up.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Nah this wouldn't work at all. The reason the switch is so popular is that it's a hybrid.
Would enthusiasts buy a dock only switch? Yes
But they wouldn't really be the target and the console wouldn't sell as well.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
A cheaper regular console Switch would be a godsend for tournaments and conventions. It was so irritating having to tie them down to keep them from getting damaged or stolen.

Before he passed away, Iwata mentioned in public something about an idea to have a family of different devices all sharing the same basic hardware architecture and OS, not terribly unlike how iPhones and iPods both use iOS. I wonder if Nintendo will ever pursue that.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I would, I think the true form is the hybrid model and they shouldn't be split (for the switch era/ecosystem, future generations can be different). I just wish they would've included a pro controller with every system to emphasize tv play

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
i wouldn't care for it unless they made it really easy to use in tandem with the portable models. If Nintendo doesn't feel like it devalues the brand selling a much cheaper model and is making the profit margin they want, then why not?

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
LOL. Where are you getting this from?? Even the Nvidia Shield, which uses mostly the same HW (mainly the Tegra) costs $200. Not to mention they have no incentive to vastly undercut the normal Switch's pricing to that degree. It definitely wouldn't be cheaper than the Switch Lite

See, I actually think the sole reason Nintendo would consider creating a TV-only Switch would be to offer an extremely cheap entry level unit for consumers who consider the Lite to be too expensive for one reason or another and just want access to the Switch's library at minimal cost. I wouldn't be at all shocked to see it come in at like $150.

I don't think a docked-only Switch Pro makes sense, since it would still be bottleknecked by the OG Switch and the Lite anyway. I think we'll probably end up with a cheap Switch TV, the Lite, and an incrementally improved *New* Nintendo Switch that eventually replaces the original.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It'd need to come with a large power boost to make sense. In that case hell yeah I'd be for it.

A "non-mobile current Switch" sounds trash tbh.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
That's not going to happen as long as it's called Switch. Without the handheld feature, it's just a standard Nintendo console then. I'm opposed to it.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
A non-hand held switch makes literally no sense. Nintendo almost certainly wouldn't make it strong enough to compete with the other consoles/PC, so you're essentially asking for an underpowered computer that can play mario and zelda. And if you weren't aware, there are (mostly illegitimate) ways to play mario and zelda on PCs now.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd love a tv only switch. Especially since they could remove the underclock with better cooling and no battery.

Yeah switch light really should have had a new dock optional add on for $100 to get the full switch experience if desired down the line/you prefer the smaller form factor but still want the TV support.

Honestly it's pretty lame they didn't do that.

I would run out an buy order a lite instantly if there was a dock for it.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be opposed, but I'd be surprised if any TV only switch had any serious horse power difference to the hybrid model that would be sold alongside it.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Opposed? No. Would I buy one (which is the question I think you probably meant to ask)? Probably not.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I play in handheld more often than not, but I'd still buy this as well for games like the latest Hyrule Warriors that have performance issues. I'd also hope it would include an Ethernet port.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't get it unless it had some crazy upgrades, but I'm sure there's lots of people who just have theirs in the dock all the time where it wouldn't make any difference

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not opposed to it, but it cannot have any major advantages visual or otherwise over the original. It should be marketed like the Lite - cut down, TV only. Anything else just muddies up the messaging of the OG Switch being the complete / full experience.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Right now the Hybrid and Handheld concept is Nintendo's ace card. Nobody else is willing to go the hybrid route or challenge Nintendo'd handheld dominance. Sony tried and failed miserably. Doubt MS would open the warchest to try to best Nintendo in that market. Plus Switches are selling like hotcakes. If it ain't broken, why fix it?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn't be opposed, but I certainly would have no interest in it. To me the Switch is a handheld device anyway. My Switch has been in the dock for a total of about 2 minutes back when I first got it and did the initial set-up, and hasn't been back in since. At this point I should just put the dock back in the box.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'd be opposed in the sense that I wouldn't buy it but I'm not gonna complain if they release one.

I do like the idea of an ecosystem where you can easily play the games you have on your Lite on your TV connected system (whether that be an OG switch or your thing) without having to go through the licensed check on the system not marked your main. But I can't see Nintendo doing this smoothly.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on if it would get more juice or not. Not worth it if it's the same power as the portable one.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
If it was more powerful I would love it, my Switch has never left its dock and it never will, so a dedicated more powerful version would be great. They already made the lite making the hybrid aspect moot so give us on the other spectrum what we want!!! Again as long as it's more powerful, if it's not then it's pointless.