• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It would disappoint me but I can understand why they would and I think there is a chance it will happen.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
I've already had to replace the whole fan unit in my PS4 so it didn't implode, so it currently feels like I'll be playing Final Fantasy VII, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima like clinging to the side of a space shuttle thats disintegrating on re-entry.

I just want to make it through a whole console generation without needing a replacement console, which I've not managed since the Dreamcast. PS5 around November makes that possible, while a slip to March would be stretching my launch PS4 to the brink.

I know that feeling. I upgraded to the Pro for that very reason and you know what? Same shit! Barely a year after the purchase, that fucking thing turned into a jet engine simulator and I'm still not sure what makes it go crazy. Like, I can play RDR2 and it's fine, but then I start The Division 2 and Sony's marvel of engineering gets ready for take-off! It gets so loud, my dog starts barking at it! No way I'm buying day 1, I'd rather throw 500€ cash straight in the gutter. It will take at least a year to determine how the new gen deals with this issue and the next console I'm gonna buy is the one with the best cooling solution.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I wouldn't mind it at all. I already have too many games to play and would probably be catching up PS4 backlog on PS5 at launch anyway.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
No I wouldn't, but what can I do about it. :lol

With that said; it is what it is but I _really_ want some new hardware this year.

Sakashima

Mar 28, 2018
Not a problem as a consumer. Some devs would have to adjust their plans, though.
Very low supply from Nov '20 through Q1 '21 is essentially the same, and more likely.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Would I be ok? Of course. Next gen will be the first one I am not getting the new consoles at release since the Sega Saturn.

Specs are already locked in. At this point the only thing that can be tweaked are memory and storage sizes. The later they release the weaker they will be in relation to everything else. If released tomorrow the new consoles would already struggle compared to late 2018 PC performance. Mid 2021? Who knows how badly they will compare to low-end/mobile Ampere. CPU-wise they will probably be fine for a few years but I'll be waiting for the refresh when they upgrade the weak RT GPUs in 2022/23.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I am fine if its delayed, however, it makes no sense for it to be.
The consoles will be sold out at launch either way, even if they had the opportunity to produce a lot of consoles, and I think it'll be hard for either of them to not launch during the holiday season alongside the big holiday games.

Coronavirus might decrease the amount of consoles produced on launch, but most esimates say that it should start to die down by april, so they should be able to manufacture consoles for the launch date.

In fact, waiting for early 2021 just risks waiting too much and reaching a state where corona resurfaces again and halts their production pipeline again.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Well autumn for me is usually quite busy with other stuff and not much time for gaming. So yeah I would be okay with it.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Honestly yes, since there's still a lot to play on my PS4 and I don't feel like I need the upgrade. Even though I want to.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
No problem. I rather see them do the launch right, simultaneous world-wide, than split it up like MS did with Xbox One.

FullWalter

Mar 13, 2018
I would be understanding and "ok with it" so long as this information is communicated soon. But if I'm left under the impression that the consoles are launching this year for much longer only to have the rug pulled out from under me, it will sting a bit.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
No problem. I rather see them do the launch right, simultaneous world-wide, than split it up like MS did with Xbox One.

Yeah, I'm hyped to the max, but if delaying launches allows them to do it properly with a decent amount of consoles at the right price with all the planned features and specs, then sure, be my guest.

Hulohot

Banned
Jan 1, 2019
I would be okay with this. That time frame was my personal prediction for next gen release.

EOY2020 still seems a bit too soon.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
The Last of Us Part 2, Watch Dogs, Avengers, Cyberpunk, Ghosts of Tsushima? Tales of Arise, Biomutant, Lego Star Wars, Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire? Heck FFVIIR, RE3 and Minecraft Dungeons are all April titles.

And I would imagine that this fall's new CoD and Assassin's Creed games wouldn't be delayed.
That's what I'm saying:
- Watch Dogs, Cyberpunk, Tales - all possibly pushed to 2021 if the consoles follow suit
- Biomutant, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo - barely any concrete info other than we know they exist, to the point where the Biomutant devs had to come out this week and assure everyone it's still a game - at least 1 or 2 of these will be 2021
- TLoU 2, FF7R, RE3 - like I said, spring has some stuff, but keep in mind all of these have ALREADY been delayed once if not multiple times
The year is still early but right now it's looking pretty sparse if we take new console cycles out of the equation.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Best time to buy a console is one year post-launch unless ur really hyped for a new game.

Normally I'd agree with you, but since both next gen consoles are going to be 100% compatible with the current gen, I can't wait to trade my PS4 fighter jet for something that plays the same games better and hopefully quieter.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, waiting sucks but health is the most important. I fear for the global economy in general, not just video games.

G Raff

Feb 14, 2019
If it were the only option and there was no other way then it wouldn't really bother me all that much. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I would be disappointed but it's not the end of the world.

I see Sony releasing in the west first and Japan a few months later if there is a shortage. It will also be a year or two before component prices come down.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The PS4 was a success right out of the gate and it still had a sloooow first year. The first must-play title was, what, Bloodborne? In 2015?

I think we might see some major next-gen-only titles a little sooner this go around (I could see Starfield and FFXVI in late 2021), which is good, because I don't think the general public (outside of era) is as hungry for next-gen systems as they were in 2013. I think a lot of people are still satisfied with their current systems, especially those that did the mid-gen upgrades.

It's easy to forget that when the Xbox 360 first came out, it didn't even have an HDMI port or Wi-Fi. Those omissions made it feel a lot more outdated in 2013 than anything absent from the PS4 or XO does today. The 360 and PS3 had 512MB of RAM and they were just choking on games with that; 8GB of GDDR5 is not nearly as dated today.

Never said anything about success, I just found it a waste of time at launch.

For me, the game I wanted to play the most didn't launch until like 6 months after launch so my PS4 mostly just sat there outside playing Resogun and other PS+ games. I would have no trouble waiting if they chose to delay launch.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Nintendo has shown it doesn't really matter as much as we thought when they release as long as you deliver.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I will be picking up on day one, but it doesn't bother me whether it's this year or next. I no longer have the patience of a child, so I'll get excited when it arrives.

Oct 24, 2019
No. Then all of those crossgen/launch games would get delayed too, and we'd have a giant gaping hole of fuckall for several months.

the consoles MUST be released

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Not a problem as a consumer. Some devs would have to adjust their plans, though.
Very low supply from Nov '20 through Q1 '21 is essentially the same, and more likely.
That's what I think.

I don't think you see a delay from either side, unless both agree. So long as we don't have a 2nd wind of cases I think by the time they start to produce these in big numbers the regions away from the epicentre will be starting to return to normality - and if there's one country that can make up for lost time, it is China.

But if no delay and you just have limited supply as you say I think those affected the most will likely be devs/publishers of next-gen-only titles, and I would expect to see some of those pushed back.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I would be okay if they didn't come out until 2022 or beyond. I don't really need a new console and I intend on waiting for a Slim model with a good bundle

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They can come out mid or late 2021 for all i care. I still have plenty to play and plenty of current gen games I haven't even bought so far.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I wouldn't mind it, I feel like the Switch proved you don't have to launch a console in the fall.

And I think a six month head start is negligible.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Wouldn't really care to be honest. I mainly play on PC, so the only thing that would affect me is I'd have to wait longer for 3rd party devs to transition fully to next gen to get the full next gen game experience, which usually takes 3-4 years anyway when it comes to 3rd party.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could cancel PS5/X1 all together and I'd still probably have enough games in my backlog to last me the rest of my life at this point of my career/family. It can wait as long for as long as it needs.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have nothing worth playing for the first 2-3 years anyways if last gen is anything to go by.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yeah sure. I expect delays when dealing with anything video game related so why not have the thing that runs the video games be delayed? It's like poetry, it rhymes. Give them more time to polish launch games at least but then they'd get delayed too. I'm in a negative frame of mind today I see.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Launch them whenever you want, won't be able to afford them comfortably at year 1 anyway.

Hmm..so maybe launch them asap so they can go to sale asap.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I have so many games to play and things like GP are adding even more.

I'm good really to wait. I have a X already so I'm in a pretty good position to begin with.