• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
With the coronavirus shutting down a lot of manufacturing sites and the cost of PS5 seemingly going up in costs because they will have to compete with Apple and other smartphone manufactures for DRAM and NAND flash memory, it got me wondering if Sony or Xbox might delay their next system to keep costs down. Do you think this would be a good idea? I think it'd make a lot of sense of it meant being able to price your console at $399 vs $499 even if it meant giving your competition a few extra months on the market. It'd also give developers more time to polish their games.

Would this change what console you got depending on what launched first.

Last edited:

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
With the coronavirus shutting down a lot of manufacturing sites and the cost of PS5 seemingly going up in costs because they will have to compete with Apple and other smartphone manufactures for DRAM and NAND flash memory, it got me wondering if Sony or Xbox might delay their next system to keep costs down. Do you think this would be a good idea? I think it'd make a lot of sense of it meant being able to price your console at $399 vs $499 even if it meant giving your competition a few extra months on the market. It'd also give developers more time to polish their games.

It wouldn't really matters the initial shipments of both will sell out, they would both rather have less units to sell than full out delay the launches.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
At the moment, of course.

Once E3 hits and some bonkers launch games show up.... it will be harder

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Sure...As long as the supposed multi plat launch games come out on pc at the correct time.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.

On this topic, I imagine they're both in a bidding war to secure limited manufacturing resource.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I would be ok, but I'm looking forward to them and hope I get my hands on a next gen system this year. My best guess is MS and Sony are gonna rush a limited supply to the market in 2020 and sell at loss.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I have some amazing games in my backlog, plus games like Last of Us II are coming out. I could probably just play my backlog and be occupied for the next two years to be honest. 2021 is fine. In fact, Spring 2021 would be perfect.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I wouldn't mind one or the other being delayed, solely because I wouldn't have to buy two consoles at the same time.
I don't really have a strong preference, but if I could choose, I'd take XSX in 2020 and PS5 in 2021.

Edit: obviously I'm aware I don't have to buy both consoles at launch, but I'm gonna. So.

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Uhm...what's the other choice?
I guess if one got delayed would that make you pick up the other console since it'd release first. Say you were going to get a PS5 because both PS5 and XSX are rumored to be released close together. Would you decide to pick up a XSX instead.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'd be more than fine with it. Plenty of backlog games to keep me busy, and Sony and Nintendo are still giving their all when it comes to exclusives.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Waiting a few months more and getting a better/cheaper product?

Sure, it's fine by me. Backlog would appreciate it.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, not a big deal. We know nothing about content for it and I have plenty of stuff to tide me over.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. These consoles will likely cost $500, so I'd prefer they take their time and release a product that is as close to perfect as possible, because I don't want to feel like it was rushed just to meet the 2020 demand.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I don't know if I even want to buy at launch yet as I have no clue what they're offering. Chances are I'd be fine with the wait as tbh holiday 2021 is a more likely time for me to be buying one.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm cool with whatever happens. There is nothing known about launch games anyway so there isn't much to be excited about outside of the new console smell.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I just see it as more time to work on the backlog. Also gives developers more time to polish their launch games.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I guess if one got delayed would that make you pick up the other console since it'd release first. Say you were going to get a PS5 because both PS5 and XSX are rumored to be released close together. Would you decide to pick up a XSX instead.
Ah.
Nah, I would get based off of what I wanted for the games I'll be able to play at the fidelity that I desire.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with a couple months delay (say Jan-Feb instead of Nov), but past that would be tough. I'm willing to pay a bit more if it means I can get the system earlier. My base PS4 is barely holding on

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
No because I'd have to wait more for the PS5 Pro. I won't buy a base console just to have to buy again the upgraded version which should've been day 1.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020

I'll buy them when they come out, in whichever order they come.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Given that Cyberpunk, The Last of Us Part 2, Final Fantasy VII Remake (Part 1) are all coming this year amongst others...

Yeah - I can wait. Launch in February/March 2021 for all I care.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
well i'm personally not dying for next gen (despite i'll probably buy one of the two consoles this holiday per my plans) so another 6+ months... whatever

on the business side of things i don't think it's too drastic of a hit. i'd imagine everything will be course corrected about a year later with the shareholders and such, but i could see a scenario where this could get pretty dire. see where it goes i guess

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
Yes. I won't be buying a PlayStation 5 when it launches anyways.
I might get one in 2021 or wait for a sale or Slim model instead.
I already got enough to play this year anyways, a powerful PC and a Nintendo Switch meanwhile. I'll be completely fine.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Sony/MS will just launch with limited supply and in fewer territories if there are still component sourcing issues. And if prices go way up I imagine they would just raise the console price (to a point) and then cut prices next year sometime. I can't see them delaying unless they really, really have to.

Personally though? They can take their time, I have a backlog a mile long to occupy me.

I'd consider it depending on the launch titles..I'm a sucker for new gaming tech so for example if the new AC: Viking game looks and plays (major reduction in load times, less slowdown etc..) substantially better on the xsx it would be tough not to bite. Then again geforce now works really well in my home and my "gaming" PC is from 2008 so if the game was supported I could just buy it on steam and play that way...So many options for gaming these days..I love it!

Leeen

Apr 15, 2018
I wouldn't want them to delay it to early 2021. I have no attachement to day1 sales numbers and delaying them at this point isn't going to make the consoles any better.