• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you feel?

• Fine by me! As long as i get the game

Votes: 639 37.9%
  • Naah, it would be a huge bummer

Votes: 1,046 62.1%

• Total voters

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GoW is still as of today one of the best looking game. Give 60 FPS + better loading and some better graphics and I'll call it a day. So yes

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
God of War 2018 is a pretty incredible looking game with an unlocked framerate. On PS5 it will perform that much better.

Back when Horizon FW was shown I had said that as good as it looked, It thought it kinda looked like a PS4 game with a Pro/PS5 patch. Which basically turned out to be right. But that didn't stop it looking good.

So no, no issue if God of Waris cross gen for me. But I suspect it's not myself.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I would be fine with that, but I would prefer it be built from the ground up to use PS5's SSD. The 2018 game's loading screen solution with the blue walkway realm thing was okay, but faster loading would be preferable.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
GoW 2018 design uses so many crutches to make it work on a PS4. You're constantly shimmying in tight spaces, lifting doors, rowing in long winding pathways etc for no reason other than to hide load times.

Because of these design decisions, playing GoW 2018 on PS5 will be a huge bummer. You gain nothing by having an SSD since every fucking load time is built into the game itself and can't go quicker (save for the portal thing).

It will be a massive bummer if GOW ragnarök also keeps these limitations. Imagine going for a super quick SSD but your premiere first party game does fuck all with it.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Look to the PS Collection.

Ever wonder why games like Horizon and Spiderman aren't in that list but GOW and Ratchet are?

The games that aren't there but have upcoming sequels have so far been cross-gen SM:MM and HFW. The games that are there would be having games that aren't cross-gen. Brilliant strategy if you ask me. Giving GOW and Ratchet to everyone that gets a PS5and has PS+ is a very good way to get them to buy the sequels when they release next year. And GOW is going to be the first major system seller released on the platform.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Sony believes in generations so we're probably gonna get it on both of them, old and new.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'd love to see them make something that fully uses PS5's strengths, sure, but I could live with a cross-platform game too.

It feels like the poll options on Resetera are a bit too extremist these days, heh!

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voted huge bummer, but as others have said it's really more like moderate bummer. I'd rather it be next gen only, but it aint gonna wreck my gaming life or anything.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
You won't see games that pus the PS5 as much as possible until the latter half of the gen.
Well, sure, I just mean I wanna see games that do things that weren't possible on PS4. I want to see games designed for the PS5. In other words, I want crossgen to last as little time as possible, even though I understand it has to exist. We got Bloodborne, Witcher, and Batman in 2015, all current gen only games, but it did take a while to get there. I'm just sad Sony isn't leading the way this time like they did last gen.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
There's literally no reason why someone shouldn't want the game to be played by more people.

The next gen version will fully embrace the system abilities and it will look amazing. It's gonna be the same game no matter if it's cross gen or not.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how one implies the other. Even if it's not cross gen, it will have the same engine and basic design ideas, for example UC 4 this gen. That's the point of sequels they have much less experimentation required.
It's in the cross gen window and if many of the concepts have already been established, then the PS4 can largely run the game.

Sony said to expect plenty more PS4 support.

It makes a lot of sense. If you're going to release in the launch window using the same engine and game design concepts, then cross gen makes sense.

Oct 30, 2017
Well, sure, I just mean I wanna see games that do things that weren't possible on PS4. I want to see games designed for the PS5. In other words, I want crossgen to last as little time as possible, even though I understand it has to exist. We got Bloodborne, Witcher, and Batman in 2015, all current gen only games, but it did take a while to get there. I'm just sad Sony isn't leading the way this time like they did last gen.
2015 would be the equivalent of 2022 which we don't know of any cross gen titles confirmed for 2022. Not sure how you can say Sony was leading in this regard last gen but this generation is different.

2013 was actually one of the most stacked years for Sony first party and they didn't even bother with cross gen. It was all last gen. Ratchet, God of War, TLoU, Puppeteer, GT6, Sly Cooper, etc could have all been PS4 exclusives or cross gen if they really wanted to be leaders. But they really did the opposite. They dropped awesome PS3 games instead.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares...? I'm not exactly losing an arm if that happens. Jeez. There're much more important things to worry about.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will be, especially given how hard it has been for a lot of people to even acquire a next gen console.

This is all so funny after the whole "we believe in generations" comment and how Sony fans lapped it all up, whilst firing shots at Xbox. Here we are now, with both next gen consoles seemingly still supporting old gen. How times change

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
That would be somewhat disappointing but also kind of expected considering it could be a 2021 game.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
2015 would be the equivalent of 2022 which we don't know of any cross gen titles confirmed for 2022. Not sure how you can say Sony was leading in this regard last gen but this generation is different.

2013 was actually one of the most stacked years for Sony first party and they didn't even bother with cross gen. It was all last gen. Ratchet, God of War, TLoU, Puppeteer, GT6, Sly Cooper, etc could have all been PS4 exclusives or cross gen if they really wanted to be leaders. But they really did the opposite. They dropped awesome PS3 games instead.

Yep, but they also had Killzone, Knack, and Infamous as PS4-only games in the first couple years. I think Until Dawn and The Order were 2014 as well but I could very well be wrong. I'm a bit disappointed they're not doing that quite as much with the PS5, but I did just remember Ratchet is coming out and I'm super excited for that. And Demon's is a PS5 only game as well as far as we know.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be surprised if it really comes out next year

I thinking's 2022 at the earliest and will be PS5 only

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, Horizon will be effected aswell. For instance GG openly said years ago that they couldn't do flying due to HDD. Whether that changed with heavy optimized code in Horizon 2 remains to be seen. Other possibilities are that there won't be flying in Horizon 2 or only the PS5 players will be able to.

Having said that, the latter would mean no story missions are explicitly designed with flying, because one plattform can't do it. Thus ultimately limiting what could've been. I think it will depend on the features and their implementation, if a game like Horizon is held back.

For instance open world games this generation had the habit of stopping players from running fast, whenever there is a large amount of data being pulled or calculated (shout out to the poor jaguar fellas). I'm in essence talking about cities in AC, Horizon, ... . If you could even use a horse, it was slow AF. That's something they can easily not restrict on next gen, while keeping those restrictions for current gen.

But then again to my point earlier, you could've had a battle on mounts in story missions within a city, which is then either a slow turtle borefest on current gen or non existent in all versions, because I have a hard time believing developers design exclusive story missions. Side quest? Unlikely, but possible.

Ah, right the speed. I'm playing it on pc for the first time right now but was getting annoyed at how the mount wouldn't go any faster. Totally forgot about the streaming limitations.

Hopefully they'll be able to implement flight in the PS5 version, fingers crossed.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
No, it will take ages to optimize for PS4. Especially if they keep the no-cut camera system.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think this upcoming GoW is on the size/scope level of Infamous First Light, Uncharted Lost Legacy, and Spiderman Miles.

If it was the true big sequel, I think they would have made that more apparent. Idk. Folks think GoW Ragnarok is 2. But I think it is a small game to launch quick. And the big GoW is coming in a few years. IMO/
It'll have been over 3 years since the last one, that is very doable for a full blown sequel

On topic: it would be very disappointing if GoW is cross-gen, Horizon being cross-gen was already a major gut-punch

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't mind, GOW is one of my favorites game of this generation so if more people can play the second part, even better.

I'm not some sort of privileged asshole to think "welp, if you can't afford the new console, go fuck yourself" when the developers can make a ps4 version possible.
I am not one of those either and imo Santa Monica can do whatever they desire. I agree with you here that the devs should make a PS4 version, if it doesn't limit their vision for the game. If for example Barlog wants to have insane boss battles with the characters throwing each other through a complete map, then I have a hard time seeing this work on PS4, unless that's a non interactive video. Thus when it limits their vision, then they should stop making the game for PS4. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.
There's literally no reason why someone shouldn't want the game to be played by more people.

The next gen version will fully embrace the system abilities and it will look amazing. It's gonna be the same game no matter if it's cross gen or not.
Next gen is about more than pretty looks, thus there are reasons to want to a game to be next gen exclusive and games won't be always the same when utilizing the full hardware capabilities of next gen consoles. More NPC, physics, smarter AI, insane speeds, flying, ... .

I guess the best game currently to showcase that you are wrong is Ratchet. The game wouldn't work on PS4, unless you want to players to suffer from 1-2 min loading every 40 seconds when the rift break and many appear in short succession.

Here is a post I made earlier about Horizon:
Nope, Horizon will be effected aswell. For instance GG openly said years ago that they couldn't do flying due to HDD. Whether that changed with heavy optimized code in Horizon 2 remains to be seen. Other possibilities are that there won't be flying in Horizon 2 or only the PS5 players will be able to.

Having said that, the latter would mean no story missions are explicitly designed with flying, because one plattform can't do it. Thus ultimately limiting what could've been. I think it will depend on the features and their implementation, if a game like Horizon is held back.

For instance open world games this generation had the habit of stopping players from running fast, whenever there is a large amount of data being pulled or calculated (shout out to the poor jaguar fellas). I'm in essence talking about cities in AC, Horizon, ... . If you could even use a horse, it was slow AF. That's something they can easily not restrict on next gen, while keeping those restrictions for current gen.

But then again to my point earlier, you could've had a battle on mounts in story missions within a city, which is then either a slow turtle borefest on current gen or non existent in all versions, because I have a hard time believing developers design exclusive story missions. Side quest? Unlikely, but possible.

Last edited:

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It depends how and if they compromised the game for cross-gen.

Cross-gen happens either because:
1. The game design started on old gen, with implicit compromises built-in (launch titles)
2. It was planned to be cross-gen for budget/profitability reasons (third parties)
3. That specific game can be scaled without impact to the game design (indies, ports, remakes... sequels?)

If they have design choices that prevents scaling it down to PS4, I trust Sony allowed them to make it PS5 exclusive. As they did with Ratchet, after all.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I guess the best game currently to showcase that you are wrong is Ratchet. The game wouldn't work on PS4, unless you want to players to suffer from 1-2 min loading every 40 seconds when the rift break and many appear in short succession.

Here is a post I made earlier about Horizon:

Ratchet is not the same game as God of War. If the PS4 hampered their vision for God of War 2, then it wouldn't be coming to PS4.

Insomniac is building an experience that requires the PS5, thus it is exclusive to it. God of War is clearly not being built with something like the rifts that requires near instant load times.

You can't compare the two. God of War 2 being cross gen isn't going to hurt the experience, and the PS5 version will benefit from all the added power and features.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I don't see why this is a problem. Games on PC need to adjust for brand new 3090 gaming rigs to 5-year old graphics cards and everything in between - and it works. Is it really that difficult for a large developer to scale between 3 different versions when they know exactly what is needed to run on PS4/PS4 Pro/PS5?

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
God of War was my favorite game of the gen and I voted yes for crossgen only because I can't afford 2 new systems and I've chosen the XSX because of affordability. If it was to be crossgen I could still play it on my ps4. And man, it surely was a looker on the ps4 so I'm confident that even a crossgen entry would look awesome.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I don't see why this is a problem. Games on PC need to adjust for brand new 3090 gaming rigs to 5-year old graphics cards and everything in between - and it works. Is it really that difficult for a large developer to scale between 3 different versions when they know exactly what is needed to run on PS4/PS4 Pro/PS5?

Prepare for the possibility for potato graphics on the PS4 then if they're really gonna commit to no compromises on the PS5. So much of the game is gonna have to be stored in RAM since so much can happen in 30 seconds when you can load in 5.5 GB a second. Or a ton of stuff's gonna just get cut. Might as well not even call it the same game or just not make it at all.