• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Well then it wouldn't be Lara Croft.

Just make a new character, there's no need to take existing characters and go "Ok, but what if they were Black now?".

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Make a new character and keep Tomb Raider if you really want to go that route.

You have Peter Parker and Miles Morales, and they're both Spiderman.

Oct 25, 2017
Answering the question in the Title , If it is a Complete Reboot , Why not ? Reboot overall is a complete reimagining of the Series , but if that Lara has the same personality as New Lara then personally I will still have issues with the character

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there ever been a franchise with 3 reboots?

This would just be 2 Reboots, but yes:

Woflenstein:

Castle_Wolfenstein_video_game_cover.jpg

wolfensein-3d.png

header.jpg

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm far more interested in a brand new black character that actually delivers on their culture and ethnicity rather than just making her a black aristocrat.
If anything, a character privileged like Lara could use the cultural clash of another black woman more than becoming a black woman herself.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
As many others have stated, if the game is good I'll play it. I couldn't care less what the skin color of the protagonist is in regards to willingness to play a game or not.

Dezzy8

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Just make a different game imo. The only thing that would do is cause some unnecessary outrage and a million stupid threads on this site.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why change her skin color when you can just create a new character? Like, why would they make Peter Parker black in Spider-Man when they can instead create Miles Morales as a distinct character.

DtG

May 17, 2018
Sure would! I'm also in the "don't care as long as the game is good" boat though.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Ultimately I don't think I would care too much, but it seems more sensible to just create a new, black, character rather than changing the race of a decades old videogame icon.

Black Mario would be interesting, though.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
It'd be better suited and for better representation if they just made an entirely new character who's a black woman as Tomb Raider rather than reskin Lara as black

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. But it would be cool to have a game like Tomb Raider with a black or latino character. Or an aged character. Or a fat and ugly one

Oct 28, 2017
Laura Croft has a very strong image. So I feel like changing her race won't be as effective. Same goes for totally changing her design. The reboot design tried to be a more realistic version of the original design.

I'd rather have more prominent new black and especially black female leads.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather a new series with a POC. Don't like the trend to retro fit people to different genders to appear progressive. It undermines the movement because it would be stronger to have a bigger and better character

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Wut!?

It rubs me the wrong way when people just pallete swap an existing character just to tick the "inclusiveness" box, and if you're going to reboot the backstory to adhere to the new racial inclusion just make her a different person in the same universe, it worked for Spiderman and Miles Mirales.

Hell why not have Lara get busy a black guy and have a mixed raced child then boom you've progressed Lara Croft's story time line wise you've got your inclusiveness and we can all play as Laura Croft with a fresh new start.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
No, I'd just prefer a different character. A black woman hailing from Mali, raiding tombs (museums) in Europe to return artifacts to their countries of origin.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
As long she remains a rich woman, with strong personality, desire for the adventure and the gameplay feels like the first one I'm fine with that.

But if ends up close to what Uncharted Lost Legacy did, I'm fine too.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything, it's kind of insulting to say that a POC needs to hope on the back of an existing IP to be successful.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I´ve been thinking a lot about Tomb Raider recently and why I just have no interest in playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I think it is largely due to it feeling like ¨just another Tomb Raider¨ when Rise felt like a shining example of what a generic AAA action game is. IMO, this trilogy has been pretty damning for Tomb Raider and it is going to be hard to reboot this reboot without it feeling stale the moment the next one is announced.

I truly think a re-imagining of Lara Croft as a black woman with a new background story would have amazing potential to revitalize the series. And yes, it would be following the Hollywood trend of inclusiveness but it has had great results for the film industry. I think a lot of people would feel more compelled to give the next Tomb Raider series a shot if it made a modernization like this and I would love to see how the developers would do a black Lara Croft justice.

& i truly think lara's already been 're-imagined' quite enough, as is. just bring back old-school lara, & get this sad excuse for a series back on track where it belongs :) ...

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Lara Croft as a black woman? No.
But a black woman who explores ruins and uncovers ancient mysteries? Yes and it helps that this is coming out.

maxresdefault-1-2.jpg

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, why do we have to color/gender-bend every popular character? Create a new heroine with a backstory that actually makes sense for an African-American woman (ie. Lara Croft's parents were filthy rich Brits who owned Croft Manor). Oh, and change the gameplay as well. I don't want another Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
Why not Indian. Or Chinese? Yeah I would be down for that.
Indian makes actually a lot of sense (Lara is British and Indians are the largest minority in the UK) and I would be down for that, but I fear that only the appearance is changed and the character does not behave like it originates from another culture. I wish developers would put more depth in the behavior, the gesture and face mimic of a character when they try to aim for diversity.

The lackluster characterization of Lara in the recent games is already mentioned here.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Nah, not really. Seems like it'd be pandering at that point. Lara is already a very strong character, and race changing her for the sake of doing so seems pointless.

Beyond that, I feel like she might just end up as a copy of Nadine from Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy (which is a fucking wonderful game if you haven't played it).

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
i don't see a point in doing so...

"we changed the main character, but we are still stuck to all the defining tropes that need to be there to make it Tomb Raider" ...what's the point then?

The current Tomb Raider reboot was constantly lambasted because it was'nt much like Tomb Raider classic and didn't have the charm of the original series.

Might as well create a new character, new story, clean slate so you can do whatever you want and actually expand. Tell new stories, create new gameplay, innovate.

Simply changing the main character sounds like an attention grab move.

Deleted member 43446

Banned
May 15, 2018
How about making a new character and not erasing an already existing one. There are better ways to push diversity than than flipping existing characters skins.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I don't really like it when they change established characters like that. Personally I'd prefer if they made an original character that wasn't white and have an older Lara mentoring the new character, or not have Lara at all.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I would love a more grounded woman as Lora. Maybe a SouthAmerican researcher more interested in the archaeological findings that killing everyone in her path.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh. There definitely need to be more female protagonists of color in games, but black Lara doesn't interest me much. Just make new characters.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be up for any character change done well.

But I'd much prefer creators invest in making new characters and pushing them properly.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Just make a different character, the series is not called Lara Croft. Its a title "Tomb raider" it could be a black woman but no need to change everything about a character for a marketing ploy, it would just mean the character could be anything amounting to the character being nothing but a name.

PS; if you want a good Tomb Raider game that people will love just put dinos in it cowards.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It's still going to be Tomb Raider. If you're tired of the formula, than changing the skin color of the protagonist isn't going suddenly sway you.

Maybe a brand new ip with a different focus is what's needed.

I was also thinking how cool it would be to bring back No One Lives Forever with an entirely new lead character. Sure someone has the rights to do so.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ehh she's been made into an " everyrace " character already it would be silly to be outraged by making her black.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
No, why do we have to color/gender-bend every popular character? Create a new heroine with a backstory that actually makes sense for an African-American woman (ie. Lara Croft's parents were filthy rich Brits who owned Croft Manor). Oh, and change the gameplay as well. I don't want another Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

You could pretty easily have her mother be black and it would fit with her backstory fine.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Tomb Ra
Sure if it goes back to tomb raiding and not shoot banging a thousand dudes per levels while she grunts and moans.
The latest game also has Lara referring to tribal people as 'creatures' and shooting the hell out of them. Not to mention how she speaks English at everyone, despite allegedly knowing so many languages. Every time Lara opens her mouth the game gets worse.

I'd rather see a Tomb Raider game featuring Jonah, or a 50 year old Lara.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I'm usually all for changing up iconic characters, especially in mediums where you need to recast and maybe the best choice has a different racial background, but it feels kind of pointless here. Maybe because Lara hasn't maintained an iconic appearance or personality over the years... If you change her too much she's not really recognizable anymore. She basically is just "English, attractive white girl, brown hair, guns, tank top". I'd be all for a disciple of Lara's that's a different race and becomes the protagonist, but I also don't think the current run of the franchise has earned it. Maybe if there's an arbitrary jump to the future, but even then I have trouble imagining what a "futuristic" Tomb Raider would even be.

This new series has been all about "becoming the Tomb Raider"... But what does that even mean? Should we care about a new person becoming "the Tomb Raider"? Honestly would be happier to see a black female lead in a new franchise with some money behind it.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I would love to see how the developers would do a black Lara Croft justice.

There's a character in the 2013 game who can be accurately summed up in her entirety as "Angry Black Woman.". Given how the writings only gotten worse I can hazard a guess.

Thus thread does make me realise though that there's like almost no black women protagonists.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What if it was rebooted with a black woman and an Indian woman? I wonder what that game would be like if it were made by better developers than the makers of the Tomb Raider reboot?

uncharted-the-lost-legacy-07-12-17-1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqLUm2LqZ7QfPrWh62iB90NUvwp5CuxlKAJp9F9RIsBnA.png
Yep. Chloe is more Lara than the new Lara. But still I think Lara being British aristocracy and "old money" is kinda tied to her character.
Tomb Ra

The latest game also has Lara referring to tribal people as 'creatures' and shooting the hell out of them. Not to mention how she speaks English at everyone, despite allegedly knowing so many languages. Every time Lara opens her mouth the game gets worse.

I'd rather see a Tomb Raider game featuring Jonah, or a 50 year old Lara.
Only to be told by Unuratu in an angry tone that "they are not creatures". The English thing I think it's a suspension of disbelief thing. I think we are to assume that she's speaking native tongue but since the actress can't speak the language and in order to avoid a foreign language being the main language in the game they just use English for her. Otherwise it doesn't make sense that the common people in the valley who have never been outside of it can understand English.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
That's a kool pic, lol and i thought that looked great back in the days hahahahaha..

Hahah right? How young we were. That was the best thing ever and then you saw the T-Rex in all its glory it was amazing at the time. Still don't know why they did triangle boobs though, Resident Evil had better solution with Jill and Claire.