• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you want to play as not-Samus?

• Yes, I think it would add depth to the franchise

Votes: 131 30.2%
  • No, Samus is Metroid for me

Votes: 303 69.8%

• Total voters

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this Metroid Fusion in a nutshell? It was taking away all we knew about Samus and giving her new abilities.

What new abilities? Ice missiles and grabbing ledges? Samus isn't all that different in Fusion Compared to Super from a gameplay perspective, and aside from some silent introspection for backstory and confrontation with her ship's AI she doesn't really talk.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this Metroid Fusion in a nutshell? It was taking away all we knew about Samus and giving her new abilities.
I'm not sure, I hope so. And tbh when making that post I actually forgot Zero Suit Samus existed outside of the Smash games.

As much as I like Metroid games, I always end up not owning the platforms most of them come out on...

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
If they're making the game without samus as the player character, they might as well make it a new i.p.

There's not much point in keeping a bunch of metroids gameplay tropes but cutting samus out.

Wow.

Yes, I do have a problem with taking one of the more powerful female protagonists in all of videogames and turning her in to a plot trinket to be saved. It sucked ass when federation force did it and it suck even more if they did it a second time.

Well you sorta answered your own question here as to why the plot (such as it was) had to be that way in Federation Force. This is a Metroid game, so Samus has to be in it somewhere, instead of her not being in it at all. There's no logical way to explain 4-player co-op if everybody is like, what a Samus clone? (interesting possibilities, but you'd probably still be after Samus anyway) This leaves either target of plot or mentor figure, and neither would sit will with the trope-based criticism crowd. They could just not have her in the game at all, but this is a Metroid game so she has to be in it, no questions. There's really not a lot of freedom left in this series from a creator standpoint, considering its fanbase is now at the online-petition-sprinkled-with-death-threat stage.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
300px-Adam_Malkovich_om_Screenshot_2.png

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
If they made another Super Metroid style game but with new not-Samus, then yeah, I'd still be all over that.

If they make a "Metroid Universe" game that isn't like Super Metroid, with a new character (good or bad), then I'm probably not touching it.

I think with as many years as it has been, that if the next thing that comes out with "Metroid" in the title isn't SM or Prime in style then they can forget about me caring really, Samus or not. I guess I'm saying as much as I like the character she isn't really a hard requirement for me. I'm here moreso for the game that she is in, rather than the character herself. Saying that as someone that loved the whole MGS2 Raiden thing.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, the choices in the poll are pretty leading. A simple "yes" or "no" would have worked better. I'm selecting no, because I don't think it would add any extra depth that Samus couldn't.

However, I don't necessarily think if the next Metroid came out and it wasn't Samus, it would stop me from playing it. It would be fine for me.

I think more about Samus when I think about Smash Bros than I do when I think about Metroid, honestly.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
We got a major Metroid game without Samus in it. And it was unanimously hated. Best to stick with the old formula with the Metroid series.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I wouldn't mind if they took the Devil May Cry 4 approach and have you play half of the narrative with someone like Sylus, then the other half with Samus.
Can't have Metroid without Samus, though.

Nov 21, 2017
Samus is super-powered. A game without her, but with Metroids, could be a very awesome Survival Horror game.

I'd honestly love to see Nintendo take a shot at a survival horror game. So my answer is YES

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I wouldn't care. To me, the Metroid series is all about the gameplay. I couldn't care less about the story. Throw any nameless character in a space suit and I'll like it as long as the rest of it is the same. It's not like there was much characterization in any of the games anyway. The one with the most story (Other M) was the one everyone hated the characterization in anyway, so eh. To me it's like switching out Donkey Kong for another ape. As long as the core mechanics are good, I don't care.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You can keep the core gameplay loop or even change it up entirely, it's ok as long as it doesn't suck I don't mind.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I don't think Federation Force proves much of anything. It was a radically different style of game. We had Devil May Cry games without Dante in the lead, Metal Gears without Solid Snake, etc, so why not? Samus is kind of a nothing character, so you could easily have a Metroid game with a new person in a Chozo power suit. Considering the way Samus ends up in Fusion being a weird infected hybrid person who is also a fugitive from the Galactic Federation, they have an easy set-up to switch protags too. I'd be open to it, especially if it means the story will finally start moving forward again.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would play it without her. She's not filled with personality. I wouldn't miss her if there was a neat reason to switch her out.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yes but it would have to be an interesting character that specifically adds to the lore.

Not an existing character (type) within the existing lore. Federation marines are an almost purposefully bland backdrop for Samus' story (they're the normal to accentuate her abnormality), which is why a game around them is unenticing.

Deleted member 2099

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would have to depend on their character writing and how uniquely relevant they are in the Metroid Universe. I wouldn't mind playing someone who isn't Samus, the game series is called Metroid, not Samus. It'd be one thing to say... play Mario series but you aren't actually going to play Mario, but instead someone else who isn't Mario. Now that would be disrespectful.

But in a galaxy of Sci-Fi tellings, there is much to be told. I feel there is more potential in the series than the same ol' Samus. In that case, they can treat Samus the way they do to Zelda... name the series The Legend of Samus, but then you actually play as this dude called Samuel or Sylux or whomever else... in more or less fashion that you get to play as Link.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool with me, a way to create another set of abilities differing from the expected samus toolkit to traverse a metroid game with, could be a neat way to approach another 2D entry.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Yes, and I liked Federation Force already.

Having said that I wouldn't want anyone to replace her in any way, I just wouldn't mind an entry down the line with someone else, maybe.

Samus is still #1.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
What would I gain by NOT being Samus ?

Mechanically and concept wise, we would lose the "kick ass woman with a powered upgraded suit and abilities". What would we gain to compensate for that?

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue has been that none of the other Hunter/Federation characters have any interesting or iconic design that really would entice or makes me confident in playing as anyone other than Samus.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly care about the plot of Metroid (except in really egregious cases), so my reason for wanting a new character would be depth of gameplay.

I'd like still like the general Metroid-layout, but maybe focus on fast-paced melee combat, or stealth (more heavily than those bits in Fusion), etc.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She barely had any personality of her own in most games where she's just a person inside a suit. I can't see why there can be a Metroid game that's just as good if not better with someone else.

You speak as if Federation Force failed because it didn't have Samus rather than because it was just not a metronidazole game people traditionally expect.
Nah, you're reading too much into it. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea - op (and some other posts) just genuinely forgot (to mention) federation force. So yeah, as it turns out people already forgot federation force.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
this series hasn't moved forward story-wise since 2002's Metroid Fusion so no. I want to see outlaw Samus!

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm not necessarily opposed but I would want a Metroid 5 to kinda at least "tie up" the leftover plot from Fusion before we start touching on other protagonists. If they did do it though I'd want the new character to maybe explore the same way but also be unique and not have a Power Suit or something. What's their hook? Or let me play as a chozo.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird question to answer. I feel like, if Metroid was a property that was getting continuous consistent updates staring Samus, there would be plenty of room in the universe to expand out to other characters. But that ISN'T the case. So no, I'd much rather have more Samus! I'm reminded of Halo Reach and Halo 5. When Reach hit, it was refreshing to play as a new protagonist. But in 5 it's just grating. I feel like if they tried to remove Samus from a game like Metroid Prime 4, it would be the later.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I think Samus is pretty much ingrained with the name Metroid so I don't really see the point, but if it meant getting a pure Metroid game outside of the main character then I'd be okay with it. Outside of the design, Samus is pretty much a non-character anyway.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
This might sound kind of stupid but I'd love to be Ridley in a Metroid spin off. If not Ridley himself some sort of clone or a member of his species. Just create some bull ship reasoning that the pirates began creating multiple clones of him with each controlled by some computer until one becomes self aware and tries to escape from the planet.

With his natural abilities he could have a similar adventure to Samus or something more action oriented or both. Puzzles, exploration and high energy combat could easily be done with him.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not, Samus is the heart of Metroid and I could not play the game without her. What the franchise needs now though is to get away from the oogling of Zero Suit and get back to the stoic, confident badass who got character assassinated in Other M and who's basically been eye candy in the last three Smash games.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The base idea of federation force wasnt a bad one. It was everything surrounding it that was shit (thanks tanabe).
I always envisioned the base idea of that game (even before federation force was shown) as a game placed after Fusion and before the next main game. Were 4 soldiers from the galactic federation, all with their own personalities (so real characters, two female and two male characters would be great, in fact, make one of the female characters the leader of the team, so it feels very metroid) have the mission ofn going after Samus hrough different planets to capture her. At first the team is all for the federation and are sure that Samus was in the wrong and should be aprehended, but during the game theyb will discover the harsh truth of the real hero Samus is and how the GF is corrupted from the inside. Samus appears in the game and at the ends saves your ass basically, and when the time comes to caputre her because she is defensless in some way (because of a monster she was going agaisnt or whatever) the team decides to let her go.

The game could be played in singleplayer with the CPU controlling the other 3 characters, or multi player in a coop op adventure with shooting parts and puzzles (so more metroid Prime and less Halo, but a little more actiony than normal metroid with some big setpieces and a little bit more story driven).
Its a good spin off also to build an actual sci fi multiplayer FPS game for Nintendo were teams go against each other without trying to force it into real metroid.

Theres also a real example of this game with Star Wars Republic Commando (though it should be done much better than this one, and with actual interesting and charismatic characters, because the ones in Republic commando, phew....). That game actually drinks a lot from Metroid Prime
71d3f449aafaf98a7cdfef9c53dbd5a8.png

I would also add this. This game would be much more welcomed if people knew a real Metroid was coming also (so never do what they did with Federation Force again) and that having all the more dirven story and multiplayer aspects in this spin off will have the real metroid keep being classic and intact, like Samus Returns was and hopefully how MP4 is.
In fact, putting it between fusion and a new game would make people clear Sakmaoto wants to continue with that story (that we already know thanks to the ending of Samus Returns, but this would help explain the GF corruption and them chasing Samus without touching so much the main games).

Last edited:

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
This is a weird question to answer. I feel like, if Metroid was a property that was getting continuous consistent updates staring Samus, there would be plenty of room in the universe to expand out to other characters. But that ISN'T the case. So no, I'd much rather have more Samus! I'm reminded of Halo Reach and Halo 5. When Reach hit, it was refreshing to play as a new protagonist. But in 5 it's just grating. I feel like if they tried to remove Samus from a game like Metroid Prime 4, it would be the later.

When was Halo ever not getting consistent updates though? Probably now, but not when Halo 5 was announced. When Halo 5 was announced it was announced with a whole lot of other Halo stuff and media.

I'm of a different mind. It would be one of the best times to try and innovate and shake up the series when it needs to reach newer audiences beyond the dwindling older fans. If there were huge numbers of Metroid fans (5 million or so), then I could see needing to make things in service to the brand, but Metroid topped out with Metroid Prime, itself a huge shakeup of the series met with skepticism and vitriol upon announcement from legacy fans.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah great, because we have so many established franchises with female leads. Why not strip a few of their position....

Not interested. If we would get a Metroid game with Samus every 2 years, then sure, a spinoff with someone else could be interesting. But we hardly get any Metroids...so no, absolutely not.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I could in theory enjoy a Metroid game without Samus, but in reality I think it would be Nintendo reaching for straws with the franchise.

It's not like we're oversaturated with Metroid games. Metroid doesn't need to be reinvented.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but it would have to be an interesting character that specifically adds to the lore.

Not an existing character (type) within the existing lore. Federation marines are an almost purposefully bland backdrop for Samus' story (they're the normal to accentuate her abnormality), which is why a game around them is unenticing.

Read my post on this page, the GF soldiers are not the problem, is making them non characters the problem, and that was all Tanabe's fault. Make a 4 person team with a female character that is the leader (just imagine the leader getting into that position inside the federation becuase she looked up to Samus as she was her hero when she was younger and wanted to be like her, but now she needs to caputure her because she is an enemy of the federation. Thats just an example, but theres a character there), make them have interesting designs and a lot of personality, and you can have characters that add to the Metroid lore, could be liked by fnas in the future, and explain the GF is corrupted part at the end of fusion, without the need to do more story driven stuff in the main games, that nobody really wants.

But again, is important to let know the audience that is a spinoff and classic metroid games are being made at the same time.

Last edited:

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the game is good, I couldn't care less who the main character is.

That being said, the "metroidvania" series is getting a bit stale, so if you're a different kind of character, with a new and fresh set of abilities instead of the same old ones, I think that would make the game more interesting!

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Yeah great, because we have so many established franchises with female leads. Why not strip a few of their position....

Not interested. If we would get a Metroid game with Samus every 2 years, then sure, a spinoff with someone else could be interesting. But we hardly get any Metroids...so no, absolutely not.

Well hold on now, nobody said it had to be a male character replacing her.