• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you be interested in a Kingdom Hearts sequel without Disney/Pixar?

• Yes

Votes: 498 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 691 58.1%

• Total voters

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's no Final Fantasy side in KH3 at all though.

And before that, the FF element was pretty minor (i.e. Here's some cameos by past FF characters, and most of them are from this one place - Radiant Garden.)

Now, if you're equating KH's grand story to FF, that's a fallacy. KH =/= FF.
For lack of a better term, I mean entire anime side to be FF. I always considered the game to basically be a FF game with original characters + disney.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Disney owns KH, so this is something that will never exist.

FF relating things were a bonus. This is an original world + Disney. Not FF + Disney.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Only if they replaced it with an equally out of nowhere crossover. Square x Nintendo? Square x Marvel? Hell, even Square x Square, let us go visit FFVIII and FFVII and Chrono Trigger worlds.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, this series can't exist without Disney. Probably literal, too.

But the elements of Disney are, like, half the franchise.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
You could definitely pull it off.

There's a big enough cast of characters and locations to flesh out a game, you could even have minigames like cards with Luxord and a rhythm game with Demyx.

Wouldn't really be Kingdom Hearts though.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
If it's replaced by some other cool media like maybe video game history sure. But the generic original crap they come up with hell no. This series is about traveling through Disney worlds, that's the only reason it exists.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Isn't kingdom hearts and all it's original characters like Sora etc fully owned by Disney? KH without Disney can't happened.

If they're making a new ip or FF spin off with KH gameplay, then sure I'm in, I genuinely like the gameplay, even though I think disney characters are a huge part of the appeal

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Disney is biggest successfull aspect in KH series
If Disney not involve in KH, SE will not have enough budget for this game and I'm sure series will fail like many spinoff game like dissidia nt, world of ff,...

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly prefer them to jump ship to full S-E or solo at this point. Outside of two scenes, the disney worlds were more limiting than they're worth in KH3.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So even more of generic black cloaked anime guys mindlessly droning on about DARKNESS HEARTS LIGHT DARKNESS HEARTS LIGHT?

God no.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
But Disney owns Kingdom Hearts. If you cut Disney out of the equation, Square Enix would have to make a new IP.
Oh I know, but I really do not like the Disney/Pixar stuff, at least how it's handled in KH3. And this is coming from someone who is a HUGE Disney fan.

Less/No bad Disney recaps of movies I've seen dozens of times and more of Nomura's batshit crazy story? I'm all about that!

Last edited:

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Depends. Does non-mainline Disney count? I could have some fun with a Kingdom Hearts where the main antagonist is Galactus.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
As someone who loves the 'original storyline and characters' more than the Disney stuff, I think a KH game without Disney/Pixar would do wonders to break the current KH mold where the stories can't exactly be allowed to go beyond the core Disney storyline stakes for the sake of "world order"

I get that it's not a popular view, but I would love a KH game without Disney to see how it's like when 70% of the game's main narrative arc isn't just being an explorer of Disney worlds and watching their stories unfold.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I would pay for kh3 dlc that just added more disney movies/worlds to play through. I actually prefer film recaps to stuff like toy story which tries to act like a sequel to the films.

CarbonKamel

Jan 6, 2019
I started with two, so I prefer the crazy plot rather than half assed Disney adventures, though 3 did show a lot of improvement in that department

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
it's always the people who know the least about kingdom hearts who have the strongest opinions about it
Sorry, let me rephrase that to be more accurate: Generic black coat anime guys mindlessly droning on about DARKNESS HEARTS LIGHT DARKNESS HEARTS LIGHT unless they're in Castle Oblivion, where you can add a healthy dose of MEMORIES MEMORIES MEMORIES MEMORIES.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay for kh3 dlc that just added more disney movies/worlds to play through. I actually prefer film recaps to stuff like toy story which tries to act like a sequel to the films.

I disagree here, its better imo to have a different story. I'd rather take things like the continuations to Toy Story and Monsters Inc rather than the retellings of Frozen and Tangled.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Now is the time for a Dreamworks-themed Kingdom Hearts game.

Hear me out:
-Shrek level with an orchestrated version of All Star.
-An Antz level where they're all ants
-Bee Movie level where they're all bees.
-Turbo level where they're all snails.
-Uh... a Shark Tale level where they're all fish.
-Boss Baby?

I rest my case.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I get people wanting something different but the series will not exist without Disney. Its a Disney game guys. All that non Disney story and characters in the game, are also Disney. Disney owns everything but FF and TWEWY in KH.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. While I do love the Disney aspect of Kingdom Hearts, it's not what I'm here for. I'm here for the original characters and story, not the Disney fluff that rarely matters to the main plot. That said, it would be disappointing to lose the Disney worlds and characters, so my ideal situation would be to make a more balanced Disney to original content ratio.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
While I'd be sad, Disney is not exactly why I'm here. The plot has engrossed me and the main reason I stay and the most exciting parts don't really involve Disney much.

I've grown to love Mickey, Donald, and Goofy though. So maybe less Disney Worlds, but keeping Disney characters. Would be down for more Original Story worlds.

This is pretty much where I'm standing too.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
No, at that point just make a different game. The appeal of Kingdom Hearts is the combination of Disney (and now Pixar) and Final Fantasy and JRPG-esque stuff.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KH's is interesting, but I don't know how much longer I can stand Nomura's bullshit.

At least when it's doing its Disney thing, there's a consistent level of quality. The OG stuff has some really cool set pieces but it's drowned in stupid sauce.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Id be interested in a non-Square developed Disney ARPG, cannot stand their game design, stories and art (buckles straps and boots).