• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you be interested in a Kingdom Hearts sequel without Disney/Pixar?

• Yes

Votes: 498 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 691 58.1%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, the Disney worlds felt weak this go around. Frozen especially. Maybe there's some more I don't know about, potc is the last of the revealed worlds I've got left.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus Christ no. As much as I've continued to follow the series, the arrogant sidelining of the Disney content throughout the years has been a big issue for me.

I mean playing the first game I was irritated that I had to get through 2+ hours of gameplay to get to Tarzan.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i feel like, the disney parts really hurt the pacing of kingdom hearts, as they cant find a fitting balance of advancing the main story in the disney worlds and instead progress 80% of the plot in the last 30% of the game.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney and Final Fantasy are the main appeal of the franchise for me. We're already down one of those.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole game was built off of Disney's back, people are really wildin if they want a game without it. That shit is heartless AF!

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Replace with Star Wars, Marvel, FF or even other SE ips like how we got Twewy in DDD then yeah, I'd be interested in it. I think the Disney stuff is key though for the main series but not enough to write off some different.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
One of the biggest appeal points to the series for me was the Disney worlds, and it still is.

On the other hand, there isn't a single original world in the entire franchise which I didn't think was awesome, so who knows.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I'd try it. The Disney worlds usually feel like busywork with a watered-down-from-the-movie storyline (although thus far I've liked that Monstropolis takes place after the events of MI). I'm actually kinda annoyed that aside from Moogles and some cactuar mentions there doesn't seem to be any FF presence in KHIII.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Donald and Goofy would need to stick around, if Sora is still the protagonist. What I really want is more FF in KH!

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
No, but I would be interested in a KH game without any of the original KH characters like Sora and so on, and only play with the Disney characters.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I want more of the Disney, so no. Unless they did like... Nickelodeon cartoons or something and then I'd be on board.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind it if they went nuts and focused on Square Enix worlds. Disney content is charming but it doesn't really allow for much story advancement. All the weird story beats are 100% Square.

That said I think one game is all i need of that then back to Disney.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
We need Disney's involvement in the series and I love their properties. They also own the IP and all of the characters so a Kingdom Hearts game without them would not be possible.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney is why I'm here, so no. The combat is fun and flashy but the OC characters and story are by far the worst part of the series.
This is me. I'm enjoying KH3 a lot but easily the worst part for me is the freaking story. Everytine some dude in a black hoody appears I groan and go "here we go again" bracing myself for more endless bullshit.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
FF worlds instead of Disney worlds. Kefka fight recreation in the FF6 world.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
KH3 actually did a pretty decent job of integrating the Disney stuff into the plot I thought. They're always going to be a bit detached from the main arc, but the themes all connected this time and the Organization explained why they cared about what happened in them for a change, which was... nice?

But I'm a bit biased, if it weren't for the Disney stuff I honestly would probably be anywhere near as interested in the series.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it depends on how interesting the replacement worlds would be. A large part of Kingdom Heart's appeal for me is visiting Disney worlds. It's just so darn neat to explore their version of what the world map would be for these various movies.

If the replacement content isn't interesting enough, I'd need the combat to seriously step things up a few notches. I'm certainly not in this for the story.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
The OC stuff has always been more interesting than any of the Disney movie stuff. I don't mind the Disney stuff at the core of the plot (King Mickey) and I think Goofy and Donald are awesome, but the Disney worlds are boring. I'd rather watch the movies the worlds are based off of.

Just give me a KH that's similar to the last 5 hours of KH3 with someone editing Nomura's wild ride.

I'm curious though. Do people love Disney so much to skip or ignore the KH plot? That sounds like a lot of work. May as well watch the movies again.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested in a game like that, but I don't think that's what a Kingdom Hearts sequel would need to be.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Disney own Kingdom Hearts? Would they even allow something like this?

Plus, Disney is an essential ingredient to Kingdom Hearts. Both Disney and Square Enix, like it says right above the logo.

Without either, you don't have Kingdom Hearts.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Where's the option 'indifferent/depends'? I don't like the core Organization XIII story that Nomura came up with and prefer the Disney world's stories, but at the same time I like the KH games largely because of the fun combat. After all, I was looking forward to Versus XIII because it had KH style combat but not based around Disney worlds.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You can't have Kingdom Hearts without Disney. That's literally why anybody plays these games.
Disagree. I find the Disney aspects often to be the absolutely worst parts of the series as they're almost purely filler. 3 treats it a bit better, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the main, overarching story.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
for me the original appeal came from the collab of FF and Disney but since FF pretty much got the boot and most of the focus now is on the original cast anyway i don't really need disney stuff in it anymore anyway.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
I am literally shocked at how many people miss the point of Kingdom Hearts and don't understand what it actually is.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. I find the Disney aspects often to be the absolutely worst parts of the series as they're almost purely filler. 3 treats it a bit better, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the main, overarching story.
It doesn't matter. Disney is the reason why the game was made, Disney is what attracts mainstream audiences. The main, overarching story sucks and no one cares for it or actively dislikes it.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Call it something else. The only reason Kingdom Hearts is Kingdom Hearts is because of Disney. Without the Magic Kingdom, there is no heart.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'd play them either way but I can't possibly see even the most minute chance that Disney could stop being part of these games so I honestly don't see what the point of the question is.

Kingdom Heart's entire existence is to be a Disney game. That's its identity down to its very core. Kingdom Hearts literally doesn't exist without Disney.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
In hopes that more time is spent carefully laying out the world and lore and story mechanics, yes.

For a long time the Disney aspect was in large part the main draw of the Kingdom Hearts games for me, but upon revisiting them as of late and going into KH3, I'm finding it's a pretty shallow visitation to each Disney World that operates a lot more like filler than substantive character or plot growth.

Just under assumption that the afforded extra time might make things make a bit more sense to confused folks like me that just can't seem to follow or wrap their head around what the hell is actually going on in Kingdom Hearts, I think it might be best for the series to focus more on its own identity so that these games might make me feel something other than the obvious appeal to my lifelong Disney film fanship and decent action RPG gameplay with tons of visual spectacle.

GekkoPolo

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
New Jersey
The Disney part of kingdom hearts is like 75-80% percent of the game and some of you are saying it's the worst of it? Why are you playing it? It's kinda weird honestly

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Honestly I'm invested enough in the KH universe that I'd bite.

They would never do it though, it'd be a suicidal move for the franchise. Disney owns it outright anyway, you'd sooner see a Kingdom Hearts game that only had Mickey and other Disney characters (so no Sora, Riku, Kairi, Organization, etc) than one without them.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
No. The main appeal of this series for me is the traditional Disney fanservice. Without that, I would have dropped this franchise ages ago.

At times, I wish that I could play as Mickey with Donald and Goofy as tag alongs instead of Sora.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy if we kept Disney but branched out to other types of worlds. I don't have much interest in multiple iterations of the same Disney worlds over and over again like Olympus and the properties that are left are bottom of the barrel unless we add Star Wars and Marvel to mix, which I'm all for. Video game worlds and Shonen Jump worlds, hell yeah. Heart of the cards and the shadowrealm write themselves.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I mean, the main overarching story really just exists as a reason to go explore the Disney worlds, occasionally started by or capped off with some original content. When you've got a member of the OG cast commenting on how confusing everything's gotten, Donald and Goofy trying to explain what they can and then throwing their hands up when yet another new thing gets thrown in the mix and other characters just handwaving the in-universe explanations by calling it all nonsense (despite actually being the case), it's pretty clear that it's just a framework for everything else to happen.

This isn't even a "kingdom hearts story sucks lol" statement, I love following all the nonsense in the series. But without any of the Disney stuff to fill out the experience, the OG stuff is pretty shallow and just becomes a bunch of characters shouting nonsense about hearts without any of the underlying Disney coding to define it.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure if it had a different aesthetic. Enemy design in Kingdom Hearts is really ugly and really only fit with that Disney aesthetic.