• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Complete with Galaxy level orchestration, Odyssey level graphics (following the aesthetic of Super Mario RPG), and having real time battles like in FF7R/Xenoblade?

For me, Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door was all about the atmosphere and story, and I'd love a complete remake of it with orchestrated music (the original OST was amazing), full 3D graphics instead of the flat 2D design (if we wanted to keep the paper aesthetic, then something a step up but in a similar vein to Color Splash then), and having a new real time battle system to keep the combat feeling fresh.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Eh, just needs an HD version. An older Zelda game would be a better candidate for what you're looking for.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

The cutout aesthetic is super important to that game. Outside of all the mechanics tied to it, you also have the deliberate juxtaposition between how cute it all looks and how you can tie together all the disparate elements because of how unassuming it all is (creepy HAL 9000 is a lot more menacing if he's not presented in a storybook-ish format, the rough and tumble pirate town is a lot seedier in 3D, blah blah).

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario TTYD's turn based combat is great and perfectly integrated with the theater framing mechanic.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The simplicity of TTYD is part of the charm. I just want an HD remaster with some QOL changes and maybe a new dungeon.

I'd love a fully 3D Mario RPG that's completely its own thing, but don't revamp Paper Mario entirely.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Just make a different Mario RPG game at that point, oof.

It's like asking if you'd like a TTYD remaster and then describing it as Mario+Rabbids. Too different.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
...How is what you described even the same game anymore? At that point the only thing it'd have in common is scenarios/story, which I've already experienced, so why not just go all the way and make a completely new game instead? This obsession with remaking everything truly baffles me

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
This is getting ridiculous lol.

Anyway I'm gonna go make my thread about how Cooking Mama needs a FFVIIR remake.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking Nintendo, I'd say Mother 3 could use the treatment. It's already a perfect game, but at least it would give them another chance to localize

OP
OP
DarkMagician

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...How is what you described even the same game anymore? At that point the only thing it'd have in common is scenarios/story, which I've already experienced, so why not just go all the way and make a completely new game instead? This obsession with remaking everything truly baffles me
It's not the same game, just like FF7R isn't the same game. I loved the plot and atmosphere of TTYD and would love to return to it in this vein. People have already experienced FF7 too and are all loving the remake.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
When it comes to RPGs I vastly prefer turn based gameplay to real time gameplay, so preferably I'd like no traditional RPG to get a FF7R-esque remake as far as gameplay goes. I'd be up for things that keep the gameplay the same but have all their assets rebuilt from the ground up though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
that's like... the very last game i could conceive warranting that kind of 'remake'

upres/display issues aside it could very well be a game released in 2020

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Also, a TTYD re-release that doesn't have a Luigi in the Waffle Kingdom campaign is pointless.

P O I N T L E S S

Jan 25, 2020
Yea, similar to what others have said, an HD update similar to Wind Waker would be the ideal scenario since its visuals just need cleaning up rather than a complete game overhaul.

The real candidates for something on this scale would be OoT/MM, Metal Gear Solid 1, most of the n64/ps1 games that younger audiences can't go back to due nostalgia not being there and unappealing 3D graphics.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there are very few games that would benefit from a FF7R scale overhaul. I certainly don't think any of the Paper Mario games would be good candidates.
I'd love to see something like Ocarina of Time remade. But if you're going to put that much effort in, why not just make a new, bigger, better Zelda game.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the same game, just like FF7R isn't the same game. I loved the plot and atmosphere of TTYD and would love to return to it in this vein. People have already experienced FF7 too and are all loving the remake.
Except didn't FF7R change the story? So that doesn't really help your point

If I already know what's gonna happen in the story I'd rather just have an entirely new one. If you like the atmosphere you'd be better off just hoping for a new game that recaptures it

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Complete with Galaxy level orchestration, Odyssey level graphics (following the aesthetic of Super Mario RPG), and having real time battles like in FF7R/Xenoblade?

For me, Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door was all about the atmosphere and story, and I'd love a complete remake of it with orchestrated music (the original OST was amazing), full 3D graphics instead of the flat 2D design (if we wanted to keep the paper aesthetic, then something a step up but in a similar vein to Color Splash then), and having a new real time battle system to keep the combat feeling fresh.
Btw OP, how did you feel about Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle? Because that's essentially what you're asking for imo. I thought it was alright (gorgeous for sure), but the writing didn't do much for me, even if they were allowed to break free from the constraints forced on the Mario RPGs for the last forever.

I'm actually surprised Nintendo didn't tap Ubisoft for a Mario RPG after that (from leaks, it sounds like that team isn't doing anything Nintendo related anytime soon).

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You'd think that the last thing Paper Mario fans want is a remake of TTYD without the same system that they've been begging for a return to for like a decade

OP
OP
DarkMagician

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except didn't FF7R change the story? So that doesn't really help your point

If I already know what's gonna happen in the story I'd rather just have an entirely new one. If you like the atmosphere you'd be better off just hoping for a new game that recaptures it
I guess one of the reasons I want this is because I don't have faith in the Paper Mario team to create a similar atmosphere, since their games in the last decade didn't really have much of one that matches the magnificence of the first three games.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
all TTYD needs is an HD remaster/port in the vein of Wind Waker HD and it's good as new. I would, however, pay good money for a Mario action RPG with real-time combat if Nintendo ever wanted to make that

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think those games don't need touching all that much. I'd like more than a remaster because I'd like the original assets replaced with high-resolution ones, but I wouldn't want the actual content of the game to be changed.

Something like a Shadow of the Collosus treatment, where I feel like the original artstyle is altogether intact, but the textures are spruced up.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just remake the original Paper Mario first, please. That's all I ask.

The Thousand Year Door just needs an enhanced port.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earthbound. Nobody ever TALKS ABOUT EARTHBOUND getting the FFVIIR treatment. That's the one from Nintendo

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the hybrid of action and turn based that the OG Paper Mario and TTYD already has and I want them to keep the stylized paper look they downright perfected with Color Splash. So no.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
All TTYD needs is an HD update. Art is perfect as is. Writing is on point. Gameplay is great.

What we need is a TTYD successor in another new locale. New Story. New characters. Updated and more involved badge system. More attacks than hammer and jump.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door is a beautiful snowflake of a game, in that it is unique and we're never going to see anything like it again. I've accepted that.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
What resolution would Paper Mario sprites need to be rendered at to eat up an FF7R budget? 2D Mario drawn down to the cellular level.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I mean no disrespect but Mario games have never had much narrative focus or characterization so I don't think it would be that beneficial.