• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Pay 60 bucks for an absurdly huge sequel to a game that was already the perfect length at $20? I think I'd rather they just make a normal Mania 2.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. As long as it doesn't add the homing attack or anything like that and sticks to classic level design and gameplay.

Oh, I agree. Mystic Cave is also a great zone! I've edited my list a bit to include it.
One Idea I had for Mania 2 would be going even crazier with the mashups, and one mashup that sprang to mind was Mystic Cave crossed with Toxic Caves.

I'd also love a classic zone based on The Machine

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yes. If we get a Sonic Mania 2 made by Christian Whitehead and his team with Tee Lopes composing the soundtrack, I would buy it at $60 day one. The fact that it exists would alone get me to buy it!

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
the original mania was worth 60, i bought it once for thirty and i got plus physical a second time for thirty

if they made mania 2 and it had the same amount of content as the original i would still pay thirty, but if i got to make demands i would say no returning stages and all new zones

please

also better boss fights

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I'd gladly pay $60 to not have Chaos Emeralds locked behind UFO races. I know that you can farm the UFO-levels I haven't beaten by using the Green Hill Zone-method after beating the game, but I want to find them via other ways (anything that will not involve bonus stages).

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want Mania 2. Mania was just a big DLC pack for Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and it felt like a big waste of time. I don't even think most of the changes and additions in Mania were for the better.

I want Sonic 4 with new levels and NO FUCKING SPHERES. A real sequel. And less shitty bosses. I'd pay $60 for that.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want Mania 2. Mania was just a big DLC pack for Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and it felt like a big waste of time. I don't even think most of the changes and additions in Mania were for the better.

I want Sonic 4 with new levels and NO FUCKING SPHERES. A real sequel. And less shitty bosses. I'd pay $60 for that.
this.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I would gladly buy it at $60 because Sonic Mania was so amazing and was such a love letter to the franchise, but no way will people pay $60 for a sprite based 2D game no matter how good it is now.

The biggest problem Sonic faces financially is that it takes a ton of ton and resources to develop such a small amount of actual content. The Adventure formula worked perfectly for content since you had the Chao, multiple missions per level, full story mode and a ton of other extras like Multi-player, Kart racing etc.

The Boost formula can't work in this fashion due to how heavy resources are and 2D Sonic can't really be spread out much further until level designs start to grow thin and quality suffers. I'd love it if we got Sonic Mania styled games at a budget and big story driven 3D titles at the full price tag but I don't see Sega supporting this financially.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Personally no. Thats 3-4 times indie games of comparable quality and size cost.
I would understand a premium, cause its Sonic, so lets say 30$ as a good price, 40$ as a little bit premium but still okay.
60$ would be to much. If we're talking 20-25 stages, now were somewhere else, then i can see 60$.

(Also: im not the core audience, not a hardcore sonic fan, and even the 2d games i see as fun but kinda a bit flawed )

BratmanDu

Mar 27, 2018
Better split screen co-op, kids love sonic but always getting pushed off screen was annoying for them, also the split screen was squashed weirdly in sm1.

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay for it just for the fact that the game actually fucking exist in the first place.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sure. If money counts towards how much time you spend with a game, i spent more time with Mamia than with most 60$ games anyway.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'd also buy a $60 Sonic Mania Collection from Eveningstar (1+2+3K+CD+Mania).

Last edited:

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I got 20+ hours out of Sonic Mania and the DLC so I wouldn't have felt disappointed at all if I bought it at $60. Very likely the best Sonic game ever.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Not a fan of the remixed levels approach, so probs not. Many of them were too similar to what I'd already played thousands of times before. Not sure I'd want to spend 60 bucks on that same experience.

If it was all new, then maybe.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
Yes...although I would also like a non-pixelized art option like Monster Boy and the Wonder Boy remake had. But 8 new levels plus 8 reimagined levels would be awesome for $60 (I would honestly pay $60 for just 8 new zones and no old levels, so long as they maintain the quality of the original Sonic Mania).

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely would pay that price for a sequel. Although I'd love to see it with a clean cartoon look like Sonic Mania Adventures or the Sonic CD opening.

Playing a full game with that art style would be pretty amazing.

Rayman Origins and Legends pulled it off beautifully well.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would pay $60 for a physical release of a Sonic Mania 2 by the same team, yes.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think $60 is a logical price for that game. The number of super fans that are willing to pay that price pales in comparison to the average consumer that bought SM at the original price.

You're average consumer doesn't recognise Sonics 2D outings as AAA titles worthy of that premium. Even though SM is one of the better games of recent, without the flashy 3D graphics, and the retro visuals reminding people it's history is from an 'old' game, $60 is a hard pill to swallow.

I think charging that price would do it more harm than good.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
My dream would be an all new 2D Sonic game from the same developers as Sonic Mania. Give them total control to go nuts with the story, level design, playable characters, Sonic Mania Adventure style animated cut-scenes and more. Call it Sonic The Hedgehog 4 and make it a true sequel to the classic games, erasing from history SEGA's previous attempt. Give the team the budget and time to make it the best it possibly can. I'd pay $60 (or £50) without batting an eyelid.

If what this actually turned out as is Sonic Mania 2 with more remixed levels and playable characters, I'd probably wince a lot more at the £50 price point but to be fair, they earned enough good will with the first one that I'd probably be fine.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they should not call it Sonic Mania 2. Just give the people who made Sonic Mania a budget and let them make the ultimate 2d game, with all new levels and whatever they please.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As long as there are new tile sets for every level, unlike the first which used themes from past games.