• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine thinking Kamiya sucks when his entire career is a series of brilliant classics. His enthusiasm for the sheer joy of video games shines through all of his work. Beyond that, he's clearly a capable director with a knack for good design principles. What I mean is, all of his games feel good to play on a fundamental level, which is only possible with skilled team members guided by clear-headed direction and the right priorities.

A Kamiya game is guaranteed to have fun mechanics, ambitious design, and loads of added value.
It's cool that you think that way and that you enjoy his games as much as you apparently do, but I just frankly don't agree. The only games of his that I felt had any real merit were in his early days, the last game he directed that was what I would call a good game was 16 years ago. The rest of his catalogue are not what would land as classics for me in any way.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It would have actually good combat and interesting bosses for once but no I wouldn't want that because I don't want more Bloodborne at all.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No thanks to any of this. I want a sequel only done by Fromsoft/Miyazaki, otherwise no thanks.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Look, I love Kamiya's games as much as the next guy, but wtf?

The styles of combat and general tone are so different that it makes no sense to both A. Pull Bloodborne away from its strengths and B. Pull Kamiya away from his strengths. It's like a worst of both worlds scenario

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I like sushi. I like ice cream. I do not like them together. At all.

Threads like this, consisting of OP's "random thoughts" illustrates why we (as a society) pay people for content.

This is the first - and hopefully the last - time I'll praise reddit for anything, but the forum could really use voting for threads like this.

Til then, here are some low effort ideas so OP doesn't have to post anymore.
  • What if a Gameboy but made by Microsoft
  • What if Final Fantasy VIII Remake but by Naughty Dog
  • What if the PS5 but manufactured by Dell
  • What if Apple buys Nintendo
  • What if Sony Spiderman but made by Square Enix
  • What if next gen consoles were built into all new cars
  • What if Monster Hunter featured Pokémon
  • What if Samsung dropped all hardware products and focused exclusively on creating and publishing PG-13 dating simulators

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
are you high OP? What made you think this was a good idea

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
What? NO!

Bloodborne design philosophy when it comes to environments and combat is so different lending it's influence from Dark Souls versus something like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta.

Pretty much this. I dig Platinum Games and character action games in general. And sure, one could argue that Bayonetta's massive moveset is a sizeable advantage over Bloodborne, but Soulsborne games aren't a series of fucking corridors and empty arenas.

The OP doesn't understand how enemy placement and level design are crucial to Bloodborne's success, and that's why this is such an awful idea.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
source.gif

Oct 26, 2017
While I'd like that more than anything From Software will ever put out, I'm not sure what the point of that would be. Wouldn't bet on their version of the Souls formula doing for most of the Souls fanbase

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Kamiya would never do it. The whole endeavor would be a waste of his time, both trying to live up to the original and also working within the limitations of someone else's game design. Its just not his style, and he seems content just working on his own IPs

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Lol no. Platinum is awesome, but it's two different goals and styles. A collab game with some totally new ip would be weird and crazy tho lol.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I thought this shitty meme "Platinum should make everything!!!" died a long time ago.

This so feels like early 2010s.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Not at all. I love Kamiya and P*, but blazing fast combat with minigames and weird humor is the last thing I want in my souls games.

Deleted member 76539

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 31, 2020
Make the combat more free form and the character smooth to control?
The beauty of souls combat is how deceptively simple it is but with a large amount of variables between you and your opponent you need to consider. I don't want souls to be a character action game and I certainly wouldn't argue that Souls doesn't feel smooth to play.

Basically like BOTW Link.

???

OP
OP

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't FROM just do that anyways if they wanted to totally change how their game feels?
The beauty of souls combat is how deceptively simple it is but with a large amount of variables between you and your opponent you need to consider. I don't want souls to be a character action game and I certainly wouldn't argue that Souls doesn't feel smooth to play.

Maybe? Wolf from Sekiro is probably the closest they have to a good feeling character but overall I'd say they can learn from games that have similar combat scenarios like BOTW's, Nioh 1/2's and Dragon's Dogma playable characters. All these games I would say have better controlling characters than any of the Souls games or Sekiro/Bloodborne.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Bloodborne combat is more methodical and slower paced. Weapons and movement has weight behind it which means attacks are more reactive between the player and enemy. The pace is deliberate in nature.

This is drastically different then Platinum games typical mashy combo centric and freeform attack systems. They are two completely different styles of combat and are not remotely comparable.

Bloodborne and by extension Souls would be a completely different style of game if they played like something like Metal Gear Rising or Bayonetta.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take, but I honestly don't think Platinum's combat outside of Bayonetta and W101 is that good. Playing Nier Automata now and the combat is pretty bad honestly.

Deleted member 76539

Banned
Jul 31, 2020
Maybe? Wolf from Sekiro is probably the closest they have to a good feeling character but overall I'd say they can learn from games that have similar combat scenarios like BOTW's, Nioh 1/2's and Dragon's Dogma playable characters. All these games I would say have better controlling characters than any of the Souls games or Sekiro/Bloodborne.
You come from such a nuts viewpoint to me that I doubt we'll find common ground. Agree to disagree.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No. Enviromental design is a thing Platinum always struggle and it's very important for a Souls game.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Bloodborne isn't a character action game.

Also Kamiya isn't the type to work in the confines of someone else's series.

What are you talking about? Bloodborne is an action game... with characters in it.

(Sorry I just wanted to dunk on the term character action game because it sounds dumb)

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to feel rather strongly that Bloodborne shouldn't have a sequel. From have probably learnt from their mistake with DS2, but I wouldn't want BB2 to be Fanservice: The game like DS3 is either.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. I like good lore. And as far as I'm concerned, Miyazaki and Co are the kings of lore.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Great dev and great director, but Bloodborne would likely lose it's entire identity.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to feel rather strongly that Bloodborne shouldn't have a sequel. From have probably learnt from their mistake with DS2, but I wouldn't want BB2 to be Fanservice: The game like DS3 is either.

I'd say them make two new IPs like Sekiro and Elden Ring is pretty good than them making straight sequels to Dark souls, though both games have heavy influence or are a evolution of the Souls series.

The most curious thing for me is how will the reception of a new Armored Core will be as that's likely the next game after Elden Ring. It would be very different from Current FromSoft's work so it will be interesting to see how everyone reacts to it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
short answer: fuck no

long answer: yes, i'd absolutely be down to embrace the chaotic energy of Platinum developing a Bloodborne sequel, partially BECAUSE the game would be so different from the one i've always imagined in my head

it would be just a notch or two from going full Dynasty Warriors: Bloodborne and would absolutely rule for that reason alone

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely shouldnt and Dark Souls 1 was never meant to either, at least story wise. Dark Souls 2 was requested by Namco and From put brand new leads on it while the guys who created the Souls Genre and Miyazaki were off making Bloodborne. Fast forward to today and Dark Souls 3 has to be made once again because its the last in the contract request and Miyazaki has to put together a game that calls back to his original ideas while at the same time subtly acknowledging that things have gone on too long.

God I cant wait for Elden Ring.