• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you be ANGRY if Sony/PS or MS/Xbox did a COMPLETE Smash Clone for their respective platform?

• YES.

Votes: 32 2.5%
  • NO.

Votes: 524 41.0%
  • Wouldn't really care.

Votes: 722 56.5%

• Total voters

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I already don't care about Smash so I definitely wouldn't care about a Smash clone.

Jun 20, 2018
Nintendo kind of copied Sega's Fighters Megamix with Smash, so don't think anyone can whine about others doing the same. I will say I don't think Sony or Microsoft's IP really fit together like Nintendo's do. Nintendo stuff all has a similar look, but the other companies IP don't look right on the same screen.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ebh0pkyvaaa84vq.original.jpg

Need I say more? I will though. People raged hard over Genshin Impact's similarities to BotW. Dozens of people were there holding up copies of BotW and Switches in full rage mode. People even smashed a PS4 outside because of the game. People get extra pissed over dumb shit.
Lmao this picture is kind of funny though

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't care about Smash at all, so I certainly wouldn't care if Sony or Microsoft wanted to clone it. I doubt that any clone would ever get a Smash-sized playerbase though - could Sony or Microsoft even produce a large enough roster of characters from their games to make a Smash clone worthwhile?

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
If you're getting legitimately angry over a publisher/dev making a game, you need to rethink some things.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
In my dreams Sony and MS agree to hire Nintendo to make an Xbox vs Playstation smash clone, sell it on all platforms and enable cross play. We can all come together and agree we've been silly geese and have a jolly good time

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I be angry? I have no allegiance with Nintendo. If the game plays well I will enjoy the fuck out of it

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Angry? Lol of course not!

I would probably laugh since they likely would not turn out well. Look at the ps game.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
If it's popular then....awesome more games the better!

If it sucks then....they should have put those resources to something else.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
if its popular they can try it.
I enjoyed PSASBR and was sad it lived and died on one game

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't bother me. I don't think Sony or Microsoft have the characters to make a good Smash clone but if they somehow managed a good roster, cool.

At the end of the day a bunch of grim assholes with guns and the occasional overly brutal melee weapon doesn't seem like a compelling crossover roster to me, though.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how any reasonable person could get ANGRY about something like that.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft would be intersting, Sony would fuck it up again

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft and Sony making good Smash clones would be awesome. Both of them are big enough to have a healthy roster of characters to choose from, plus third party options.

Oct 27, 2017
Who would be angry about that outside of ridiculous fanboys? lol

Sony trying PlayStation Smash again might just finally get me Crash Bandicoot in a Smash-like game lol, so I'd definitely be all for another attempt.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately, we've seen loads of platform fighters come and go that it's hard not to come to the conclusion that most of the appeal of Smash is because of Nintendo's characters, which obviously neither Microsoft nor Sony can nick directly. So, I think any attempt will inevitably be seen as a poor imitation and likely will be quickly forgotten about, in a similar manner to PlayStation All Stars.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Yo, hire Sakurai to do it and you'll get a guaranteed good party game plus a fuck ton of funny reactions.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly just want a Sony or Microsoft game that celebrates their IPs like Nintendo's Smash does. Whether it's a fighting game or not is irrelevant to me. Rare Replay is kind of a light example of this, but with more than just a collection of games and/or Rare IPs.

A good example of that from Sony would be Astro's Playroom.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Nintendo is not the only company on the planet that can make a good party brawler game. Sony or Microsoft both could make an excellent party brawler if given to a quality team and given the resources (time, employees and money). I actually hope one of them does it just to make fools out of some of you negative naysayers..

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I want Playstation to do another Smash-like game tbh. They have the roster, especially with PS1/PS2 characters like Crash, Spyro, Jak/Daxter, Sly Cooper, etc. They just need to improve the gameplay

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'd only be angry if they made a mediocre game that some people will INSIST is actually a good Smash clone/fighting game for some reason.

Sony should absolutely give it a second try, but I think Microsoft should do something more along the lines of a hero shooter or third person pvp thing with all the Bethesda characters they have adding to their shooter catalogue now.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
If it was done as a cheap cash grab yes I would be mad. If there was some heart behind it and added some new elements I'd be happy. But personally I feel neither of them have the pedigree to pull it off.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
MS should have dlc for Forza Horizon 5 with kart racing with all kinds of characters out of MS' library. That could be really fun, make your own tracks and place objexts and power ups.

You've read it here first!

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
No, there need to be more games that play like Smash anyway. I'd argue neither really has an iconic enough roster to pull it off the same way though so one of them should just make a Smash clone where all the characters are just generic animals. Dog vs elephant and shit. This is a great idea

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I be angry? Why would anyone care?

Do people get angry that there are other Kart racers?

Oh wait ... of course people get angry because gamers are gamers.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The only people who would be "offended" by Sony or MS ripping of Smash gameplay are WAY too invested in Nintendo.
They'd be alright if such a thing happened lol.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I'm happy for anyone to copy anyone else's good games of any genre and give it a try if they think they can do a good job